meoima

Ice skating FAQ and introductions for new fans

Recommended Posts

meoima   
6 minutes ago, katonice said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was watching Skate America 2016 and looking at the protocols,

and I was puzzled about Nam Nguyen's invalidated CSSp in his short program.

Why was it considered invalid? He seemed to have met the minimum number of rotations on both feet.

I thought he hit the positions okay too (or maybe judges thought differently?).

Is there something I didn't notice?

Do you mean this performance? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katonice   
Just now, meoima said:

Do you mean this performance? 

 

Yes, that's the one. His last spin towards the end received no marks according to the protocols.

Was trying to understand why that was so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meoima   
42 minutes ago, katonice said:

Yes, that's the one. His last spin towards the end received no marks according to the protocols.

Was trying to understand why that was so.

He did not have at least 2 continuous revolutions in a basic position. Tech specialist ONLY starts counting when he is in the position. But Nam did not settle down in the first basic position which was the sideway sit spin.  He might thought he did enough revolutions but they did not count his first 2 revolutions as his body was not in the proper sit position. In the last revolution he moved up his body, thus the position was not counted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katonice   
29 minutes ago, meoima said:

He did not have at least 2 continuous revolutions in a basic position. Tech specialist ONLY starts counting when he is in the position. But Nam did not settle down in the first basic position which was the sideway sit spin.  He might thought he did enough revolutions but they did not count his first 2 revolutions as his body was not in the proper sit position. In the last revolution he moved up his body, thus the position was not counted.

Looking at it now, yeah the first forward sit spin didn't get 2 revolutions.

But I thought with the sideways sit spin he was able to achieve 3 revolutions, or a little bit over 2 if I wanted to be strict about it.

I guess I started counting sooner than the judges lol.

 

ETA: Also, let's say he wasn't given credit for the first forward sit spin position, and he achieved a (maybe doubtful) 2 revolutions for the sideways sit, does that mean he also didn't meet the minimum 3 revolutions before and after the change of foot? In practical terms, he did spin more than 3 times on the first foot, but just didn't receive the feature on the first spin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meoima   
5 hours ago, katonice said:

Looking at it now, yeah the first forward sit spin didn't get 2 revolutions.

But I thought with the sideways sit spin he was able to achieve 3 revolutions, or a little bit over 2 if I wanted to be strict about it.

I guess I started counting sooner than the judges lol.

 

ETA: Also, let's say he wasn't given credit for the first forward sit spin position, and he achieved a (maybe doubtful) 2 revolutions for the sideways sit, does that mean he also didn't meet the minimum 3 revolutions before and after the change of foot? In practical terms, he did spin more than 3 times on the first foot, but just didn't receive the feature on the first spin. 

Because it's a SP and spin in one position with change of foot is compulsory. His position after he changed his foot was not counted, his skating thigh was not achieving required level... It means that after change of foot spin has not been counted because no basic position was achieved. Furthermore because spin with change of foot is compulsory in SP the whole spin was washed out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yuzupon   
On 7/14/2017 at 4:40 AM, meoima said:

This post make it easy to understand about turns and steps: http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/162905929409/turns-and-steps-explained-12

This is the 2nd part.

 

It will take me quite sometimes to learn those (it took me years to be able to recognise jumps and spins, and those are more obvious), but the 2 posts are very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now