Team Japan

I already was a big fan of team Japan, but seeing them all so up close again last week... *hearts* 

I think I prefer Wakaba and Yuma over Rika and Sota, though. Better at drawing the audience in. :-)

And Sara Honda... I hope we continue to hear more about her next season. Hanna Yoshida (last year’s winner in the same category here) doesn’t seem to have skated many competitions this year, or...?

I love that Sota has taken the role of the dependable & caring senpai:tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw: all team Jpn interactions at Challenge cup were so wholesome, all those group pics were so much fun :softYuzu:

also, belated congrats to the skaters who won medals and stole hearts at that comp:67638860:

some more info:

I can't believe how far he's come in just a few months:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

OMG bb please don't work too hard:13877886: she's been crossing oceans and mountains back and forth non-stop this season:13877886: after worlds (and WTT, I guess), please take a good rest:snonegai:

sad:sad4:

wishing steady recovery to Ryuichi, concussions are tricky:/

I'm extremely disappointed that JSF isn't able to build a decent pairs and ID program. With the wealth of skaters Japan has (and maybe more help from foreign coaches for pairs especially), they could do so much better. I understand that maybe it's hard to find male skaters who can throw and catch girls, but what the heck, Han Cong isn't a giant either...and some skaters have very successfully switched to pairs after skating for many many years as single skaters (like Marchei/Hotarek). So IMO it's likely more a matter of difficulty in getting dedicated ice time in crowded rinks and unavaliability of specialized coaching....maybe even lack of enough incentive for single skaters to switch to pairs and ID instead on leaving amateur skating for good to focus on education. All issues that could be somehow solved if JSF was really interested.:gaah:

7 hours ago, LadyLou said:

I'm extremely disappointed that JSF isn't able to build a decent pairs and ID program. With the wealth of skaters Japan has (and maybe more help from foreign coaches for pairs especially), they could do so much better. I understand that maybe it's hard to find male skaters who can throw and catch girls, but what the heck, Han Cong isn't a giant either...and some skaters have very successfully switched to pairs after skating for many many years as single skaters (like Marchei/Hotarek). So IMO it's likely more a matter of difficulty in getting dedicated ice time in crowded rinks and unavaliability of specialized coaching....maybe even lack of enough incentive for single skaters to switch to pairs and ID instead on leaving amateur skating for good to focus on education. All issues that could be somehow solved if JSF was really interested.

Probably not gonna happen because it's JSF but they could ask Yuko Kavaguti (who was trained by the Legendary Tamara Moskvina) or even Narumi Takahashi (who won Japan it's first medal for pairs at WC'12) to start a coaching team / programme for pairs. But of course that would require the use of a rink and with pairs it will be hard to use a public one. It's a bit shameful on JSF's part how neglected their ID and Pairs are considering the success of their singles (some despite having no proper rink to practice on like Coach Sonoko Nakano has said).