Team Japan

As long as they make sure that their 3A is fully rotated all the time, whether they land it or not is secondary (and the more you train it and the longer you get used to it in a program, sooner or later you will master it, Yuzu and 4S is a perfect example). A 3A fall still worth much more than a 2A anyway. (even with +2 goe, I think?)

I forgot about Mirai, maybe cause she barely try it in competition.

Definitely. And why I'm hoping Wakaba is going to start getting that 3A out. I have not given up on her grabbing a spot and getting that 3A could be a huge part of it, even if she falls.

A 2A with a +2 GOEs is 4.3 so yes. Plus of course, there is the overall impression of bonus of an attempted, rotated 3A, if the rest of the program holds. It's a boost.

Mirai has a head problem. She gets nervous, then tight, then oops but I think her 3A work may help her loosen up on this as I just saw in the other thread, she will include it in her FS this season. Good on her.

Definitely. And why I'm hoping Wakaba is going to start getting that 3A out. I have not given up on her grabbing a spot and getting that 3A could be a huge part of it, even if she falls.

A 2A with a +2 GOEs is 4.3 so yes. Plus of course, there is the overall impression of bonus of an attempted, rotated 3A, if the rest of the program holds. It's a boost.

Mirai has a head problem. She gets nervous, then tight, then oops but I think her 3A work may help her loosen up on this as I just saw in the other thread, she will include it in her FS this season. Good on her.

Agreed. She kind of have nothing to lose, imo. She should look ahead past pyeongchang and for me to include 3A now is a better option. I am not sure of her success rate (whether in rotation or landed ones), but that one in wtt that she tried looked great. If they can avoid a fall (stepout, hands down etc) it would even be more beneficial than doing 2A (because the points could be more than 5.5), especially if you are confident with the consistency of your rotation.

Excerpt from a [link=https://cantilovertranslations.tumblr.com/post/160336805773/shoma-answering-questions-from-fans-at-piw-0505]recent translation[/link] of Shoma's interview post-PiW on 5th May:

Q: If you are to get chosen for post-Olympic Worlds next season, you will go right?

S: Of course.

So if things go well for him, I guess there's at least 1 top skater planning to compete for world's gold in 2018 now :space:

I saw them at junior worlds. They are pretty nice. If they can get throw triples and 3tw soon, they should be great for the future. Riku and shoya only paired up recently if I am not wrong, saw them at JWC. This is the first time I saw rikako and aru, or maybe I have but I completely missed them

Maybe its just me, but I always feel Shoma looks a bit better in TV record, his two footed skating aka too many crossover only bother me when I watch fancam.

For me it's "a lot better" on TV than live. I've seen Shoma in three different competitions live so far (GPF15 and 16, WC17) and in all of them I've been quite... I wouldn't say underwhelmed, but for sure not overly impressed by his skating.

He has a great quality: to bring it to actual competition, even when his practices are a mess, but skating wise he left me quite untouched.

I think that TV/stream feeds usually use a lot of "close-up" that may give Shoma a hand into stressing out some of his best traits (good projection skills, good - albeit quite "rigid" - upper body lines -, a lot of "deep stare" that many mistook for deep interpretation) and into hiding some of his weaker traits (not much multidirectional skating, a lot of cross-over, average ice coverage, little movements with his legs, little "whole body" movements), but live (or with fancams that do not close up on the skater) you notice that a lot more (if you haven't watched them yet, there are a lot of good fancams from 4CC. They are quite... revealing).

I hope Sota can recover fully, he had still a lot of room to grow, but I really like what I saw of him in GPF15. Skating wise he was showing much more potential than Uno, imo.

As for other japanese male skaters (senior and junior), no-one else stands particulary out to me (despite my soft spot for Daddy Mura). I hope I manage to see live Shun Sato (please, send him to Egna!) because I'm quite curious about him.

Re Japanese ladies, Wakaba stands on top of my list right now. Her skating skills, her control, her speed, her jumps, she has really everything (now please, give her a team that can support her fully without making suicidial choice like last season -.-).

^ First time I saw Shoma live I was actually super surprised by his charisma and performance quality, I hadn't watched him much before. But yes, the deficits in skating are really more apparent live, and I actually think (comparing GPF 2015 to WC 2017) he lost a bit of his spark with focusing so much more on his quads. Maybe it's also that I didn't like his programs last season, I liked last seasons SP. Which is why I'm :ohno: at his new music choices too.

But I have to say, all the love for Wakabby here makes me happy. I always thought she was really underrotated, but I see I have lots of lovely company here :love:

The only ones who don't love Wakaba (as they should) seem to be the judges tbh. Lots of people seem to like her actually :love:

Imho she's the one with the best potential, if she becomes a bit more consistent.

The only ones who don't love Wakaba (as they should) seem to be the judges tbh.

So true *still side-eyeing the WC panel* That would probably change with more consistency. I hate the fact that consistency is such a factor in scores, but sadly it is what it is. Bringing 3A + getting more consistent is a pretty tall order, but we can hope :pbow:

Hopefully yes, but I do want to see her on the Olympic team next year. Hopefully she'll do well on the GP, because she usually does well at nationals. I really hope to see some wonderful 3As from her. My only concern is her...popping habit? She needs a decent layout, that second 3lz3t combo rarely works. And when it doesn't it's not because she falls, she usually pops lutz.

It's just so heartbreaking the ladies only have two spots for the Olympics. So many good ladies will stay behind...

and US has 3. urgh I'm sorry but my salty ass just doesn't sit right with this :hachimaki: