Team Japan

I'm not well-versed in JSF's rules but given the general mess that were the ladies events at JNats (and the rise of juniors), who might secure the third spot for Worlds and spots for 4CC?

WTT is easier to predict I suppose. They need those who can somewhat draw the crowd as much as possible, so popular favs like Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihira and/or Rika Kihira are the logical choices. 

4 hours ago, Melodie said:

I'm not well-versed in JSF's rules but given the general mess that were the ladies events at JNats (and the rise of juniors), who might secure the third spot for Worlds and spots for 4CC?

WTT is easier to predict I suppose. They need those who can somewhat draw the crowd as much as possible, so popular favs like Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihira and/or Rika Kihira are the logical choices. 

I read somewhere that Rinka is the only skater beside Kaori and Mai that met the selection criteria for this year. That would be weird because she finished 12th but actually the only possible selection for Worlds if they follow their own rules...

1 hour ago, airi said:

I read somewhere that Rinka is the only skater beside Kaori and Mai that met the selection criteria for this year. That would be weird because she finished 12th but actually the only possible selection for Worlds if they follow their own rules...

I read that too, but I don't know the extent to which they take the best scores and standings and stuff into consideration. If JSF is willing to go far back then perhaps Rika Kihira and Mana Kawabe can qualify too (for 4CC at least)? 

The juniors really shake things up a lot this year. 

PS: JSF really shot themselves in the foot, what's with sending potentially most of the World team to meaningless comps like the Universiade. 

PPS: It's also on them when attendance rate looks sad this year.

On 11/3/2022 at 3:14 AM, Sombreuil said:

Soo cute!  Yuzuru has helped a lot of people - ircc he talked to Mura about jump technique and helped SL watching Deniss at a practice once?  Those that do can’t always teach, but if he can get the Shuu paaas across in Japanese and he’s got the time why not? 

Yuzu would be an excellent coach for sure👍

16 minutes ago, surimi said:

In the light of Uno's comment regarding either Kazuki or Sota being selected to accompany him to WC - i.e. him saying he wasn't happy about it - I really miss Yuzuru and his kindness.

Yeah, Shoma's comment seemed really untactful? It wasn't the time or place for him to make this comment (plus him admitting he didn't know the selection criteria as a 5 time champion is embarrassing). Saying that around your juniors who are happy to make the world's team is very disrespectful. I see some are turning his comment into him calling out the JSF but if he meant it that way, definitely not the place. 

10 hours ago, KendallKlaire said:

Essentially this and it can be taken a lot of different ways so no one is really sure what he meant.  But I'd guess he's not happy with who was selected...

He should have left it at 'I'm not going to comment right now'. Hanyu has never, ever, questioned a younger teammmate's selection, and spoiled their joy. It's got to be a fantastic feeling for Sota (probably Shoma's quote was directed at him, as he wasn't on the Nats podium), knowing the esteemed World Champion is against you going, and commentators are going to be spinning the 'controversial decision' narrative. If Sota bombs WC because of all this, JSF have only themselves to blame, but haters and Champery lovers are going to have ammunition for their vitriol, whoopity whoop.

1 hour ago, surimi said:

He should have left it at 'I'm not going to comment right now'. Hanyu has never, ever, questioned a younger teammmate's selection, and spoiled their joy. It's got to be a fantastic feeling for Sota (probably Shoma's quote was directed at him, as he wasn't on the Nats podium), knowing the esteemed World Champion is against you going, and commentators are going to be spinning the 'controversial decision' narrative. If Sota bombs WC because of all this, JSF have only themselves to blame, but haters and Champery lovers are going to have ammunition for their vitriol, whoopity whoop.

He is the boss now perhaps....hahaha! 

• 3 weeks later...