Team Japan

2 hours ago, surimi said:

Any particular reason why you say so?

He's had chronic back issues for years, so it's unlikely, but I'd like to see him keep skating. 

And I hope the JSF send him somewhere yet. Otherwise he'll be out of the world standings altogether before the next season starts, and that would be just sad. 

Oh I didn't l know it was chronic.
My reasons are not that particular aside from wanting to see what he could bring to the field for Japan in that disciplin. There was chatter about japans lack of depth in pairs and dance and I got thinking. Esp now that with rikuryu there are likely going to be opportunities for other jpn pairs at big comps as well and I got thinking about how to fill that up in not so long term so it needs to be someone with a strong overall base who is not just good at jumps. Plus they need to not be tiny as some of the jpn men are. Also for shows Keiji has done partnered skates before (though that was more ice dancey iirc). I've liked Keijis skating a lot since 2017 and would love for him to keep skating for some time still (and pairs men seem to last a long time) I know ice dance would also be an option but while his ss are good he's not daisuke. 

10 hours ago, Sayu93 said:

Oh I didn't l know it was chronic.
My reasons are not that particular aside from wanting to see what he could bring to the field for Japan in that disciplin. There was chatter about japans lack of depth in pairs and dance and I got thinking. Esp now that with rikuryu there are likely going to be opportunities for other jpn pairs at big comps as well and I got thinking about how to fill that up in not so long term so it needs to be someone with a strong overall base who is not just good at jumps. Plus they need to not be tiny as some of the jpn men are. Also for shows Keiji has done partnered skates before (though that was more ice dancey iirc). I've liked Keijis skating a lot since 2017 and would love for him to keep skating for some time still (and pairs men seem to last a long time) I know ice dance would also be an option but while his ss are good he's not daisuke. 

I see. I'd love to see Keiji keep skating for a while yet, because like you, I have been a fan of his since early 2017. But I think pairs would be too much for him. -_- He's shorter than Ryuichi, and throws and lifts would be too much for him I'm afraid. I am wondering about the younger boys like Koshiro or Sena, but they're slender, so posibly they'd not be interested in pairs. Too bad Taichiro Yamakuma isn't planning a pairs career - he's young, tall and sturdier built than most boys on Team Japan.

Anyhow, I hope Shoya Ichihashi is still active in pairs? 

Mr. Machida's comment on Mana Kawabe: "Kawabe is a hopeful who started competing in the senior ranks after the Corona disaster. In the world of figure skating, many overseas competitions have been cancelled due to the Corona disaster, and young people have not been able to experience the big stage. In such a situation, Ms. Kawabe is participating in this Olympics. The result may have been disappointing considering her ability, but it was admirable that she boldly challenged the triple axel even though her condition was not improving, and continued to attack aggressively until the end.

https://twitter.com/suge20153/status/1495245237006254082

Wow, it's as if it was important to send skaters to international competitions!

As if it was fundamental for Satoko, Mai, Kaori, Wakaba, Rika's careers that they were send to JGP from the youngest age.

As if this is exactly why minimum senior age is relatively low. because under even just relatively fair scoring and with more concious approach to teaching jumps (and I don't even mean here quads alone, but also 3-3 combos and triples in novice and pre-novice + some other worrying teaching tendencies like -3-3-3-3-3 combos or "no amount of triples will hurt you" -> and I think this part is especially important even under biased judging) there is no way that 15-17 year old girls would win everything left and right to this extent and rising age means just tip-toeing around the real issue and can have negative effects too.

Guest turquoiseblue
2 hours ago, Anni said:

It's nice that Rika is back on the ice. :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

Here a news clip

Thank you for sharing the video! :thanks: 

She is so beautiful :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: It's so nice to see her skating again and I hope she stays injury free :fingerscrossed::smiley-angelic001::fingerscrossed:

Just caught up with Kaori ‘s gala skate.  I love her costumes- they fit her personality and skating style so well.  That dark red dress with clean lines but glittery at the edges is just perfect with her clean fast movement across the rink.