Team Japan

Some news on Team Japan:

- COVID vaccination to be provided to all the elite team, including juniors. First shot mid-July, second shot mid-August.

- JNats to be held at Saitama Super Arena (-.-), from Dec 22 - 26, doubled as Olympic qualification round. 

-  Seniors can get 2 GP assignments, while juniors get none. (Edit: JPN will not send junior skaters to the first three JGP events due to travel restrictions)

Source: https://twitter.com/aim_high__/status/1407573516908589056?s=20

https://twitter.com/megdale1021/status/1407568116691787777?s=20

https://twitter.com/aim_high__/status/1407579093340590081?s=19

3 hours ago, Melodie said:

Some news on Team Japan:

- COVID vaccination to be provided to all the elite team, including juniors. First shot mid-July, second shot mid-August.

- JNats to be held at Saitama Super Arena (-.-), from Dec 22 - 26, doubled as Olympic qualification round. 

-  Seniors can get 2 GP assignments, while juniors get none.

Source: https://twitter.com/aim_high__/status/1407573516908589056?s=20

https://twitter.com/megdale1021/status/1407568116691787777?s=20

https://twitter.com/aim_high__/status/1407579093340590081?s=19

What? Japan isn't sending skaters to JGP?

I found it understandable because the situation doesn't look so good for young skaters to travel overseas. Even if they travel after vaccination, it takes a few weeks to get antibodies after being vaccinated. (I don't think speeding up the process is an option seeing the progress of vaccinations here, even though it looks a bit better than before) Also, there are many conflicting opinions about vaccinating teenagers, so some of the skaters or their parents may want to wait a little more for new evidence or methods regarding vaccines.

OT but Skate Canada decided to cancel their JGP scheduled in August. I guess making plans for the season continues to be difficult, especially for juniors.

https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/126-junior-grand-prix-news/13580-second-isu-junior-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-event-moves-from-edmonton-can-to-courchevel-fra?templateParam=15

ETA: LoL I love my status after 4A

ETA2: (Looking at Paskud's status above) So I will have to go through Eteri period after 4A and celebrating GOAT period... to learn what life is like... or is it a custom-made status?

I would think one of the principal issues for junior skaters at those early events is their inability to travel back to Japan because there will likely still be quarantine requirements in place.  Of course, until Japan gets large proportion of their population vaccinated, even senior skaters will have problems with  travel - unless they start in another country.  Shoma will be in Switzerland.  Hopefully, Yuzu will evaluate all this and decide to get back to TCC ASAP.  He'll be vaccinated - but would his mother be?  If Yuzu is based in Toronto, he will be able to travel to any of the GP cities and end up back in Japan for JNats (and maybe NHK).  Just hoping.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

I would think one of the principal issues for junior skaters at those early events is their inability to travel back to Japan because there will likely still be quarantine requirements in place.  Of course, until Japan gets large proportion of their population vaccinated, even senior skaters will have problems with  travel - unless they start in another country.  Shoma will be in Switzerland.  Hopefully, Yuzu will evaluate all this and decide to get back to TCC ASAP.  He'll be vaccinated - but would his mother be?  If Yuzu is based in Toronto, he will be able to travel to any of the GP cities and end up back in Japan for JNats (and maybe NHK).  Just hoping.

Top-level athletes can come back to Japan and train while quarantining, although the training would be far from ideal. Isn't it more difficult to travel back to Canada from anywhere? I think they are still stricter than Japan regarding border control related to COVID-19. As far as I know, many of the Japanese skaters who used to be training in Canada are training elsewhere. KoKo's in the U.S., Satoko, Miura/Kihara are probably still in Japan. Rika Hongo retired partly because she would not be able to go back to Canada soon. But I fully respect how Canada is managing the situation. The safety of their citizen should be their priority.
Anyway, I hope vaccines will make this global situation a little better and help Yuzu and other skaters to continue what they like in a better condition and environment.

16 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Top-level athletes can come back to Japan and train while quarantining, although the training would be far from ideal. Isn't it more difficult to travel back to Canada from anywhere? I think they are still stricter than Japan regarding border control related to COVID-19. As far as I know, many of the Japanese skaters who used to be training in Canada are training elsewhere. KoKo's in the U.S., Satoko, Miura/Kihara are probably still in Japan. Rika Hongo retired partly because she would not be able to go back to Canada soon. But I fully respect how Canada is managing the situation. The safety of their citizen should be their priority.
Anyway, I hope vaccines will make this global situation a little better and help Yuzu and other skaters to continue what they like in a better condition and environment.

Currently, Canada is remaining closed to most until July 21, but they are also far further along in getting the population vaccinated.  64% have received at least one dose, though close to 15% of all people 12 and older are totally vaccinated. The 52-59% of the population that is "partially" vaccinated will be getting their additional doses probably by mid to late summer.

And I remember that Shoma and Yuzu had to quarantine upon returning from Worlds last spring.  The situation in Japan hasn't really gotten any better.  Also, Yuzu's coaches are in Canada - he can only have Zoom coaching while he remains in Japan and that is SO far from ideal, especially heading into an Olympic season.  The decision is his, of course, but I hope he does return to Canada as soon as he can (and a fully vaccinated Yuzu should have no problem returning there at the end of summer, if not before.  (Not quite the same topic, but if  he is involved with the summer Olympics, he will have been vaccinated.  All staff and support people and Japanese participants are supposed to be getting vaccinated.)

While I was wondering if our skaters would be able to enter Canada anytime soon, Shingo arrived there. IN IGS he says he has to quarantine for 3days for a starter.

As for Yuzu, I have no idea what is best for him, but I would be happy if he has multiple options and can go to Canada when he needs to train with his coaches or to receive good care from whoever has been treating his injuries in recent years.