Team Japan

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

There's no way for her to reach Toronto?

You have read what Canadian satellites explained about the border closure in the past few pages, haven't you? 

Also, when you enter Japan, you have to get tested and quarantine for 14days. But if you want to discuss protective measures against COVID-19 in general, we have a suitable thread in Space Junk.

43 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

You have read what Canadian satellites explained about the border closure in the past few pages, haven't you? 

Yes, and that Jason Brown managed to make his way. But it was by a terrestrial border, not at an airport. This is why my question was formulated in a negative way.

4 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

In the sense of false positive, they are less and less reliable because more and more people have had it without being ill and kept a reserve and will test positive for long (plus those who have been recently out of it and keep some fragments of RNA) without being contagious, but this is not a public health problem in matters of quarantine.

In the sense of false negative, this can happen either at a moment when the part of the body searched have no virus while another has, or just before death, when the body has got rid of the virus but is dying of the inflammatory reaction. The latter situation being excluded, the former can be adverted by a series of tests at several days (usually day 1, day 2, and one or two others by the end). It can be expensive but I think it should be an option for people who greatly benefit of a shorter quarantine. And it is probably way safer than a 14 days quarantine without test.

Not that it'll make any difference here, but we are being told now that we only need to quarantine for 10 days after testing positive, so maybe the 14 days number will be changing.

14 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

From this tweet, yesterday was her last at Champéry.

I suppose she's going back to Japan and self-isolate one more time? There's no way for her to reach Toronto?

By the way, self-isolation could be safely reduced to 10 days or even less with tests along, why is this not an option (at a cost, as it is more expensive) available to travellers, in countries requiring self-isolation?

The federal government recently renewed the closing of the border to all foreigners (apart from exceptions mentioned by me on other threads) at least until the end of August.  Considering that schools open in September, keeping things shut especially to short-term visitors (if Rika was only coming originally for a few weeks) makes a lot of sense,  Shorter stays wouldn't play well with our 14-day quarantine for all visitors.  I def agree with the quarantine, so if that nixes short-term visits, so be it.  The provinces will have their hands full with school starting in September and prepping for the coming flu season with COVID-19 bonus.  Worrying about numerous international travellers might put too much strain on public health.  Now, second-year-and-up international uni students are being let into Canada if they agree to quarantine, and their situation is more like Yuzu, Jun, Evgenia, and Katja's, that is, they expect to be spending much of the year in Canada.  However, I won't be surprised if the door is closed for these skaters, if it's felt that amateur foreign athletes who aren't American are not worth opening the border for.  It's not like they are pro players in a popular sport with lucrative contracts and broadcasting rights.:dry: 

I think the decision to open for US students was a dubious political choice, which had nothing to do with the control of infection.  It will look bad if Canada keeps out individuals from countries who have more successfully dealt with the threat , and who are longer standing students like Yuzuru, Jun and Evgenia after letting Jason in - nothing personal against Jason, but he’s only been working in Canada for a year.  That is assuming they want to be in Canada.

Hello
My name is Mai Mihara, a third year student at Konan University.
How is everyone doing…
The days of online lectures have passed, and it's already August. It's summer☀️
Please come to the skating rink which is cool as cold ❄️
Waiting at Konan University Figure Skating Club ⛸

I'm very sorry for the private matter,
The hair I cut the other day grew a little
I've managed to pull it off! I will do my best in practice!

It's been a difficult time and hot days
I sincerely hope that everyone can smile and smile.

13 hours ago, Songster01 said:

However, I won't be surprised if the door is closed for these skaters,

I think this is straight up going to depend on the visa type they have. Jason basically told the border guards that he had a job to get to in Canada - and in a sense, he does. He probably also got lucky with the border agent and perhaps chanced upon one that was a figure skating fan.

13 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I think the decision to open for US students was a dubious political choice, which had nothing to do with the control of infection.  It will look bad if Canada keeps out individuals from countries who have more successfully dealt with the threat , and who are longer standing students like Yuzuru, Jun and Evgenia after letting Jason in - nothing personal against Jason, but he’s only been working in Canada for a year.  That is assuming they want to be in Canada.

Every country whose higher education sector makes money from foreign students is either treating them as special cases, considering treating them as special cases, or being pressured by said sector to do so. Our own (I recently retired from a university job) is pushing the Government like crazy and shedding jobs as they lose money hand over fist due to covid keeping the students out.

Jason did have to try several times, as I understand, and a land border is easier (one of the reasons Australia is, even with the current crisis down south, relatively low on the covid hit list is that big, very wet border around us. The crisis is in one state and the others are frantic about the land borders within).

I'm biased, I just want Yuzu to be able to go to the one he wants most...

22 hours ago, Paskud said:

Hello
My name is Mai Mihara, a third year student at Konan University.
How is everyone doing…
The days of online lectures have passed, and it's already August. It's summer☀️
Please come to the skating rink which is cool as cold ❄️
Waiting at Konan University Figure Skating Club ⛸

I'm very sorry for the private matter,
The hair I cut the other day grew a little
I've managed to pull it off! I will do my best in practice!

It's been a difficult time and hot days
I sincerely hope that everyone can smile and smile.

Thanks for this post.

Nice to hear from Mai. I hope that little by little she's getting stronger. And the most important thing is that she's smiling too!  :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

Shoma commentating on his SP!! Such a cinnamon roll <3 

Didn't expect him to update his Youtube so soon so this came as a pleasant surprise hehe. There are English subtitles too if you turn on the cc! Also I just realized how empty his bedroom looks... 

He is so sweet taking the time to like all the comments on his video T_T 

3 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Shoma commentating on his SP!! Such a cinnamon roll <3 

Didn't expect him to update his Youtube so soon so this came as a pleasant surprise hehe. There are English subtitles too if you turn on the cc! Also I just realized how empty his bedroom looks... 

He is so sweet taking the time to like all the comments on his video T_T 

This video made me laugh so much...and yet it shows that Shoma does take his skating seriously ...not going to lie, there are times when his behaviour made me wonder. Loved his ' but this is really the new ending' comment. 

1 hour ago, Fay said:

A video from senior skaters’ s camp, as far as I get it. You can see quite a lot of people you know - and Mai is among them. 

Mai-chan!!! Her jumps still look as airy as always. I hope she can recover her triples soon. It's kinda :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:for me to see her struggling with doubles when Kaori is trying 4T (still way UR, btw) and other skaters are practising 3A. But, I am happy she is back on the ice. Stay healthy, Mai-bby!!

ETA: I do not recognise 2 of the girls...... Whoah, me.

Skaters appear in this video are as follows (in order of appearance):
Wakaba Higuchi
Keiji Tanaka
Yuhana Yokoi
Tomoe Kawabata
Yuma Kagiyama and Shun Sato
Mai Mihara
Mitsuki Sumoto
Rin Nitaya
Sota Yamamoto
Rino Matsuike
Kazuki Tomono
Kaori Sakamoto

Looks like Sota was coached by one of his former coaches.