Team Japan

11 hours ago, Paskud said:

I believe Yura Matsuda went through surgery last season? Iirc she wasn't at JNats?:scratch3:

Anyway, looks like she came back and competed in regionals this week. She is able to attempt lutz and flip again, but her protocol is a total carrot cake.:68271262: She placed 5th.

podium was

1. Rin Nitaya

2. Yuhana Yokoi (bombed SP, two falls and +combo *sobs*)

3. Miyabi Oba

https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2019-2020/fs_j/block4/data0205.pdf

If I remember, this is the last competitive season for Rin Nitaya.

8 minutes ago, luvsk8 said:

If I remember, this is the last competitive season for Rin Nitaya.

Yep. google translate: 

Nittaya, who is in the last season,
Following SP, FS leads the way

Because it is the last, you can calm down and challenge
This season
Keep an eye out for programs that will be further refined👀

Congratulations!

Now I wonder what with Ayaka. She also had to retire, but stayed with a hope that she will get international assignment and she got NOTHING (bunch of incompetent idiots:death:).

She should get NHK host spot and I will die on this hill.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:36 AM, Katt said:

If they pull off great/unexprected results with JSF put more focus on ID, this could be good thing. But it could backfire terribly

I don't think we can expect much in the way of results, given how static ice dancing is. I mean, it's the only discipline where reputation and history still affects your scores in a significant way. How the heck would Dai & Kanna  break into the top when they're a brand new pair? It would take years. 

Am I alone in finding it odd that if they are aiming for Beijing he is going to carry on with singles this season and switch next season with such a short time left?  If they were really serious wouldn’t they start now?  

26 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Am I alone in finding it odd that if they are aiming for Beijing he is going to carry on with singles this season and switch next season with such a short time left?  If they were really serious wouldn’t they start now?  

Honestly, I find the whole project fishy, and I wonder who’s funding it. But as long as it’s a personal whim, I don’t really mind. 

15 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I find the idea that any singles skater, no matter how good at actually skating, thinking they can become an Olympic-podium-contender at ice dance in just a couple of years kind of... arrogant? I mean, Dai has very good SS in his field but in ice dance it'd be kinda middling? Do they think that you get to Scott Moir level and also get Tessa-Scott kind of understanding in a couple of years?! Feels like they're underestimating the skill necessary to be an ice dancer with Olympic podium chances! Especially with how abysmal JSF is at politicking and how ice dance does depend on that too, but maybe they'd put in more effort for Daisuke Takahashi. 

I'd raise my eyebrows if Patrick Chan suddenly made such an announcement too and Patrick is the better skater between the two.

15 hours ago, yuzupon said:

And it's not about Seniority  either - Murakami was the same age as Zu and she WAS included. That's why Oda tweeted that tweet.

About this, tho, Kana was very close to Mao, grew up in the same rink too, right?  she kinda had a "headstart" for mixing in there 😅

I have seen a tweet with pic with whole team jpn at Sochi ceremony and op said Yuzu had chosen to attend with Kikuchi, but I can't find the tweet anymore:facepalm:  iirc was from one of the usual fandom translators, I thought Juro but now I can't find it scrolling, must have been someone else...

14 hours ago, TallyT said:

On a different point and sorry if it's already been mentioned, but when I saw this picture of Kazuki's FS costume and hair... and read he also has black blades... think he's showing his influences here?

http://photos.phantomkabocha.com/FigureSkating/Lombardia2019/KazukiTomono/imgpages/image034.html

Thh I think that costume could have been worn by any between Yuzu and Shoma too lmao (is by Satomi Ito again?) And hair too, Shoma styled them like that for Loco. Black blades, who knows, I think I've seen an increasing number of skaters with them (they do look extremely cool), but he isn't using pattern 99 revolution(happen to be, totally by chance, I swear, the coolest-looking blades to me), so that make them lose some coolness points :P

Tbh I don't remember who Kazuki admires, but afaik he's not usually counted among the Team Japan Zu fanboys :laughing:

imo good that he left the one he used in DOI, that one really resembled Masquerade (Masquerade was superior, sorry, I don't make the rules)

@Fay @Figure_Frenzy

when I want to embed a tweet, I use the "copy link" from the "share" function on the right low corner of the tweet (next to the heart), then after pasting link here I chose the option to "display as plain text", idk why it works this way but...it works at the moment LOL

Re: Hamada suggesting Dai's move

couldn't she have done the same with other skaters too?:sigh: Or maybe she did, but skaters weren't interested or had no prospect for fundings?

Is 2 jr teams + KoKo and later Kana/Dai the most the fed can afford for funding ID?

Anyway, I already said it would have been better to start the ID training asap instead of waiting another 6 months after decision was taken, to maximize the time they had... it will be exactly two years to Olympics when they will start seriously, and they need to get minimum tes before that 

Well, they won't have problems to get to nationals I guess, the field is what it is in terms of depth, but they need to go to international comps too...

@WinForPooh I thought they just aimed at being there (and be "olympians"), not the actual podium, and that could be feasible, if they can get minimum tes (I don't remember the requirements for having spots at OWG tbh, I only know previous WC ranking and additional spots at another ISU comp in Olympic season, for PC Nebelhorn 2017 was where teams left out fought to give their country a spot...iirc Kana&Chris got a spot for Japan there? Eta: found a reference here, probably there's more in the old Nebelhorn thread)

podium is definitely unrealistic, unless, suddenly, most of current sr teams (and a few of the jr ones that will turn senior by then) for some reason won't be able to compete, or will be forced to compete at a much lower level than they do now...the war for podium will likely be among France, USA, Russia and Canada too (especially if FD/S keeps developing as fast), even if there was a jpn team competitive with them in bv(levels) by 2022, there just wouldn't be any space for them to get the political backing they would need for goe and pcs to be on par with top teams)

8 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I have seen a tweet with pic with whole team jpn at Sochi ceremony and op said Yuzu had chosen to attend with Kikuchi, but I can't find the tweet anymore:facepalm: 

Is it this one?

Looks like he was indeed with Kikuchi-san. It was still nice of Nobu to ask to include Yuzu more. He's always so kind. :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp: I really hope things get better for him soon.

2 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Is it this one?

Looks like he was indeed with Kikuchi-san. It was still nice of Nobu to ask to include Yuzu more. He's always so kind. :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp: I really hope things get better for him soon.

Yes, indeed! :thanks:

Awwww Kikuchi was with him in PC ceremony too, what am amazing experience must have been for him too, after a the years he was by Yuzu's side! (Footage of COC was heartwrenching, poor man, and who knows how many more things he's witnessed:/)

I hope he is enjoying his retirement 

I'd like to know who is in charge of Yuzuru's ankles now...they deserve my utmost admiration and thousand thanks, they are instrumental to Yuzu fulfilling his dreams :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

25 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

@LadyLou There's a piece up by Jack that talks about how having Dai and Kana at Beijing will help Team Japan's podium chances in the team event, and Jack is pretty often used as a media contact by JSF to get their POV out. 

Obviously they need better ID to have a chance at the team event, but if they really think they can get at the level of the top teams by then... :english2:

(And what about pairs, JSF ???)