Team Japan

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

In all of this, what is Shoma doing? I know he has done iceshows in August and training camp in September but it's so weird not to see him in a challenger...(also, I wanna see his fs and if he's having a more neutral costume for sp)

The good news is, you won't have to wait much longer and wonder about his FS, as Finlandia Trophy begins in just 14 days :)

Dai trying ice dancing... well, why not? He has the charisma and showmanship a dancer needs to start with anyway... and, wow, whatever happens, it will certainly raise the ice dance profile in a country of singles skating... it can only be a good thing, I think. It will at least increase interest, no matter what the actual results will be.  Somewhere, some talented skaters who aren't as talented jumping wise will think ice dancing is cool now and something that Japanese skaters can do.  I know that I will look forward to it, so I wish them the best.

Amazing news. It’ll be wonderful to see Dai’s artistry translated to ice dance which really plays to his strengths. The only issue is lifts - he’s no longer a spring chicken in fs and building up stamina and strength to execute those elements safely is my only concern. But holy amazeballs - what an ingenious move, both for him, Kana and JSF who must be over the moon at the thought of someone with the star power like Dai in ID.

As is usually the case, I’m thinking how this impacts Zu. Obviously it removes the direct rivalry and all the underlying nastiness that goes along with that. But I wonder if it might point a way forward when the jumps no longer work. Zu loves skating and he watches all disciplines. Dai’s move suggests how he could extend his career in a sport that he has spent his whole life dedicated to. If Dai could spend almost an Olympic cycle out of fs before returning with JSF’s and the fans’ support, so certainly could Zu.

although atm I can’t imagine him in any discipline but singles, and jumping like the mad demon he is. I mean, Zu NOT being lifted, but actually lifting someone else? :jaw:

2 hours ago, Sukigirl said:

although atm I can’t imagine him in any discipline but singles, and jumping like the mad demon he is. I mean, Zu NOT being lifted, but actually lifting someone else? 

This is why we have to start campaigning now for same sex ID and pairs, though I honestly don’t think he’d be able to share the limelight. He’d totally overpower whoever was skating with him. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

What a shocking news. I like Kana and delight to see her again but I feel abit scary to think she has a partner with no ID background. Dai is only a few cm taller, and has a chronic knee injury.  Maybe apart from Patrick, I don't think any single skaters'SS could be on par with ice dancer. ID has specific requirement for stsq, dance parttern and spins, the lifts and twizzle. There's alot of work. They're both great performer so they might do well with choreo and IN, but the lifts and twizzles would be a real struggle. 

As for the impact to Japanese Ice dance, I'm not that optimistic. Knowing Japanese media and what they do with single skaters, they most likely focus on Dai-the headliner. The main reason why ID/Pairs is not develop in Japan is that they have no coaches/experts to train these disciplines and limited ice time. As far as I know, to train ID/pairs you really need private rink. Theres only 2 private rinks in Japan and even top skaters like Kaori and Mai have ice time issue. Lets say, if there's 2 ice dance team inspire by this move, is JSF willing to fund them to train aboard and wait for several years for results ?  I doubt it. 

If they pull off great/unexprected results with JSF put more focus on ID, this could be good thing. But it could backfire terribly.

Last night, Daisuke appeared in a news show to talk about his decision and explained the difference between singles and ice dance, showing skating shoes for singles and ice dance. I think Daisuke appearing in media as a newbie ice dancer will contribute to spreading knowledge about ice dance. However, famous skaters doing ice dance cannot singlehandedly enrich the field. Japan needs more ice rinks, coaches, couples and pairs strong enough to do well internationally. Right now, many of the Japanese teams are training abroad and they sometimes split because of the difference in financial abilities. Cathy Reed has been doing so much to introduce ice dance to young skaters after she retired, but environmental changes are essential to developing them as ice dancers.

Shun has won the bronze :agree:

His jumps are a little bit shaky, but anyway he did not fell.  I suppose his shaky jumps may be caused by his practicing quads of various types, and his skating skills has improved and he may be struggled with the timing of jumps.  This happened to Yuzuru when he went to Canada and re-trained his skating skills.  Just IMO though.

SP: 78.41   LP: 141.28   Total: 219.69

Results:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1920/jgpcro2019/CAT001RS.htm

Yuma and Shun have been qualified for the JG Finals :clapping-smiley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_ISU_Junior_Grand_Prix

13 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

Shun has won the bronze :agree:

His jumps are a little bit shaky, but anyway he did not fell.  I suppose his shaky jumps may be caused by his practicing quads of various types, and his skating skills has improved and he may be struggled with the timing of jumps.  This happened to Yuzuru when he went to Canada and re-trained his skating skills.  Just IMO though.

SP: 78.41   LP: 141.28   Total: 219.69

Results:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1920/jgpcro2019/CAT001RS.htm

Yuma and Shun have been qualified for the JG Finals :clapping-smiley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_ISU_Junior_Grand_Prix

We have an event thread for JGP Croatia where we discussed the juniors yesterday including Shun :) He has a good chance to qualify for JGPF but he hasn't qualified yet? It'll depend on some skaters at JGP Egna next week.

I believe Yura Matsuda went through surgery last season? Iirc she wasn't at JNats?:scratch3:

Anyway, looks like she came back and competed in regionals this week. She is able to attempt lutz and flip again, but her protocol is a total carrot cake.:68271262: She placed 5th.

podium was

1. Rin Nitaya

2. Yuhana Yokoi (bombed SP, two falls and +combo *sobs*)

3. Miyabi Oba

https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2019-2020/fs_j/block4/data0205.pdf