Team Japan

Wow! Ice Dancing can get pretty intimate tho, will Dai's hardcore fans able to handle it? :P

It is good tho. His involvement certainly can help develop more interest in ID and Japan definitely is the country in which it seems most skaters have quite good musicality etc. And the JSF will definitely give more support to ID then. Hopefully.

22 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Dai probably felt after last season that he's too old to be competing as single but knowing Japan lacks skaters in ID/pair fields, seeing an opportunity there. But going to Beijing 2020 is just wow...

what are his shots at qualifying? An understanding of ice dance scoring still eludes me

3 minutes ago, shanshani said:

what are his shots at qualifying? An understanding of ice dance scoring still eludes me

I'm not following ID so haven't got a clue about the scoring either. But Dai certainly will be able to help the field to develop more depth if Jpn TV can get more viewers for ID/pairs.

8 hours ago, Lusuji said:

I.... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT:eek:

poor Kana

And with Zoueva, whaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tbh, I... don't think they will survive until Beijing. At least not stamina-wise. And lifts can couse some problems.

I wish all the best for Kana.

I hope that at very least it means that ice dance will be more popular in Japan. I need Moa in ice dance! And Miyu! And Marin! And Satoko, tbh.

6 hours ago, Lusuji said:

Someone reaaaaaaaaly wants to go to the Olympics again  :laughing:

Joking aside, I wish them both the best of luck. Whether their partnership works or not, it would be a good way to get more people and skaters interested in Ice Dance, which is something Japan sorely needs. It will also (hopefully) encourage other skaters to switch to Ice Dance and maybe pairs. 

5 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Wow Kana really did it, amazing lady!

Re: the move itself, it's interesting for sure.

Hopefully camera following Dai will also mean camera will follow other teams too, like UtaShin (that tbh are a pair I'd invest a lot on, if I were JSF, they are young and obviously extremely talented) and KoKo who basically are the only(?) Sr team atm. I am not sure if fundings for ID will really increase tbh, but some marketing can't hurt and, if it can promote a trend of switching to different disciplines, it can only do good to Jpn skating (and for many skatets it could became a great opportunity)

I'm a bit disappointed the debut won't happen for another year, looks a bit like a waste of time if 2022 is on their radar, but I understand if Dai wants to say his goodbyes to singles on a meaningful stage...

but I guess that he and Kana have likely already been training a bit together, that's good. I don't think learning to work in sync will be the hardest thing, but Dai needs some catching up on ID, especially elements like twizzles and lifts, which are unfamiliar to him. Height difference afaik is small and, while usually it isn't a big problem for ice dancers, it will factor in their plans too.

In the meanwhile, the state of jpn pairs looks extremely foggy...

4 hours ago, Veveco said:

Also:

Yay, good news!

I hope things will go well and they'll be able to be in gp:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

RE: Wakaba

Sad to learn she is injured again. Tbh I wonder about some of choices she/her team took, like competing in that (unnecessary) local comp in august, where she clearly wasn't fit to skate, and tbh even going to challenger (tho I guess they thought it could be useful for ranking points...maybe? But still, not worth it if she wasn't recovered, and with the risk of compromising gp) :/

(This reminds me, I hope Mai is getting better. I miss her gentle skating and smile:tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:)

Re: Rika and Nishigawa

I'm laughing at how earnestly Rika linked proper rest to succeeding with 4S 🤣

Of course good rest is very important for an athlete, but it really felt like listening to her fellow Axel lord, who similarly relates the strangest things to his skating :laughing:

They really live and breath skating :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

In all of this, what is Shoma doing? I know he has done iceshows in August and training camp in September but it's so weird not to see him in a challenger...(also, I wanna see his fs and if he's having a more neutral costume for sp)