Team Japan

Sota’s segment of FSTV aired Jul. 12, 2019.

Translation: (A=announcer, Y=Yaginuma, S=Sota, PC= Pasquale Camerlengo)

A: Sota Yamamoto made a great comeback with a victory at the Challenge Cup in February this year. We will report how he was building his new competition programs for the new season.

00:18
A: How do you feel about overseas choreography?
S: This is my first time and I am a bit concerned about it, but I am hoping I will have a good time and learn a lot.
00:30 Choreography took place in the city of Novi, suburb of Detroit. It is the first time for Mr. Pasquale Camerlengo to meet Yamamoto senshu.
00:41
PK: Nice to meet you. Hi, dear.
00:47
A: Speaking of Pasquale, I remember him teamed up with Daisuke Takahashi. His free program “La Strada” at Vancouver Olympics.
Y: Yeah, that was in 2010, huh.
A: Yes.
Y: It has been so long since that time.
Y: It was a wonderful program.
A: It’s still vividl in our memory, this opening. 
Y: His steps, the way he moves his whole body and connects with the melody. They were wonderful.
Y: Yeah.
01:20
A: This time he had a tight schedule since both the short and free programs will be choreographed in 5 days. After confirming where to put in jumps and spins the team started choreography right away. The music pieces had been picked by Yamamoto senshu himself beforehand.
Y: I get the impression that he is a choreographer that creates choreography paying attention to the melody. Every move looks stylish.
01:46
A: “East o Eden” became known as the music Tatsuki Mchida skated to at Sochi Olympics. It seems to be a good fit for Yamamoto senshu too.
Y: I agree.
02:38
A: The choreography itself was going well, but they spent more time working on his body movements, especially the detailed instructions were given to him on how to move his arms.
Y: It looks like more softness in his moves is expected.
02:58
PC:I see he is very stiff. You know, he is always like this. With the chin like this. Like this, normal. You have to be more relaxed. When you stand like me you don’t stand like this, “hi, nice to meet you.”You don’t do that. Do like this. The movements of the arm, it’s not just the arm. It’s to be like the body. You need to move from there. 
03:32
A: Camerlengo was right. Right after he came back to his hotel, he reviews how to move his body, which he did not pay much attention to before.
S: My arms move the same way all the time, around here. I wonder if I should try a little different presentation such as working on my fingers.
A: We can see how fast Yamamoto senshu became motivated towards learning artistic presentation.
04:13
A: You can check with the video.
Y: You can review the video right away.
A: Yes, you can. And the choreography session kept going on.
04:24
A: New free program “In this Shirt.” It has many cool choreographic movements and Yamamoto senshu was working very hard.
Y: It looks cool.
A: Here we go. Please enjoy the step sequence.
04:42
[music]
05:44
A: Please pay attention to this new team.
05:49
PC: Sota and I learned a lot. It is good that he had an opportunity to come over to skate with us, and yes, indeed I realized that from the first day when he was like, really you know, like contracting completely all the muscles of the body. Now like he is more loose and you know, like he let it go more and that’s what is very very important and it is beautiful to watch. He is beautiful skating.
06:23
S: I feel like I was copying Mr. Pasquale rather than learning choreography. If I skate only with the same familiar and comfortable movements it will be the same old skate. I’m not good at presentation after all, and I would like to improve a little by little by copying him who is really good.
A: Yamamoto senshu is taking up the big challenge. What is the theme of your new season?
S: I would get flak for saying “timshel”? (t/n: Hebrew word in Steinbeck's East of Eden, there are many online references, one of which is here.) Ahahaha
A: You have to ask Machida-kun.
S: Ahahaha. After all I was 9th at last year’s Japanese Nationals. Even in Japan there are 8 skaters above me. Umm…I’d better get it together. Umm..That’s why next season I set my goal to work hard so that I can deliver perfect skate at the Japanese Nationals to be on the Team Japan. If I don’t seriously give my all, I won’t be able to get results. I am going all out.

Edit / Delete

Edit / Delete

6 hours ago, kaeryth said:

If he lands all those jumps, no doubt he will finish in top 10 at nats even with low pcs.

Sota shouldn't be so hard with himself on presentation. His SP last season wasn't bad at all. He has nice basics.

6 hours ago, Rainbow said:

Sota’s segment of FSTV aired Jul. 12, 2019.

Translation: (A=announcer, Y=Yaginuma, S=Sota, PC= Pasquale Camerlengo)

A: Sota Yamamoto made a great comeback with a victory at the Challenge Cup in February this year. We will report how he was building his new competition programs for the new season.

00:18
A: How do you feel about overseas choreography?
S: This is my first time and I am a bit concerned about it, but I am hoping I will have a good time and learn a lot.
00:30 Choreography took place in the city of Novi, suburb of Detroit. It is the first time for Mr. Pasquale Camerlengo to meet Yamamoto senshu.
00:41
PK: Nice to meet you. Hi, dear.
00:47
A: Speaking of Pasquale, I remember him teamed up with Daisuke Takahashi. His free program “La Strada” at Vancouver Olympics.
Y: Yeah, that was in 2010, huh.
Y: It has been so long since that time.
Y: It was a wonderful program.
A: It’s still vividl in our memory, this opening. 
Y: His steps, the way he moves his whole body and connects with the melody. They were wonderful.
Y: Yeah.
01:20
A: This time he had a tight schedule since both the short and free programs will be choreographed in 5 days. After confirming where to put in jumps and spins the team started choreography right away. The music pieces had been picked by Yamamoto senshu himself beforehand.
Y: I get the impression that he is a choreographer that creates choreography paying attention to the melody. Every move looks stylish.
01:46
A: “East o Eden” became known as the music Tatsuki Mchida skated to at Sochi Olympics. It seems to be a good fit for Yamamoto senshu too.
Y: I agree.
02:38
A: The choreography itself was going well, but they spent more time working on his body movements, especially the detailed instructions were given to him on how to move his arms.
Y: It looks like more softness in his moves is expected.
02:58
PC:I see he is very stiff. You know, he is always like this. With the chin like this. Like this, normal. You have to be more relaxed. When you stand like me you don’t stand like this, “hi, nice to meet you.”You don’t do that. Do like this. The movements of the arm, it’s not just the arm. It’s to be like the body. You need to move from there. 
03:32
A: Camerlengo was right. Right after he came back to his hotel, he reviews how to move his body, which he did not pay much attention to before.
S: My arms move the same way all the time, around here. I wonder if I should try a little different presentation such as working on my fingers.
A: We can see how fast Yamamoto senshu became motivated towards learning artistic presentation.
04:13
A: You can check with the video.
Y: You can review the video right away.
A: Yes, you can. And the choreography session kept going on.
04:24
A: New free program “In this Shirt.” It has many cool choreographic movements and Yamamoto senshu was working very hard.
Y: It looks cool.
A: Here we go. Please enjoy the step sequence.
04:42
[music]
05:44
A: Please pay attention to this new team.
05:49
PC: So I learned a lot. It is good that he had an opportunity to come over to skate with us, and yes, indeed I realized that from the first day when he was like, really you know, like contracting completely all the muscles of the body. Now like he is more loose and you know, like he let it go more and that’s what is very very important and it is beautiful to watch. He is beautiful skating.
06:23
S: I feel like I was copying Mr. Pasquale rather than learning choreography. If I skate only with the same familiar and comfortable movements it will be the same old skate. I’m not good at presentation after all, and I would like to improve a little by little by copying him who is really good.
A: Yamamoto senshu is taking up the big challenge. What is the theme of your new season?
S: I would get flak for saying “timshel”? (t/n: Hebrew word in Steinbeck's East of Eden, there are many online references, one of which is here.) Ahahaha
A: You have to ask Machida-kun.
S: Ahahaha. After all I was 9th at last year’s Japanese Nationals. Even in Japan there are 8 skaters above me. Umm…I’d better get it together. Umm..That’s why next season I set my goal to work hard so that I can deliver perfect skate at the Japanese Nationals to be on the Team Japan. If I don’t seriously give my all, I won’t be able to get results. I am going all out.

Edit / Delete

Edit / Delete

Thank you for the translation! :) 

I hope his work with Camerlengo was fruitful, the bits they showed were very promising. It's just so nice to see him improving and growing as a skater. If he can land 4Ts and 4S next season hopefully the results will come, too. Good luck Sota!