Team Japan

15 hours ago, Katt said:

JSF announce Team japan and  funding list for 2019-2020  season https://twitter.com/sponichiyamato/status/1121296475479138305

Special athletes : Yuzuru Hanyu, Shoma Uno, Daisuke Takahashi, Keiji Tanaka
Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Satoko Miyahara, Mai Mihara, Wakaba Higuchi

Category A : Kazuki Tomono, Koshiro Shimada, Yuma Kagiyama, Tatsuya Tsuboi,  Shun Sato

Mako Yamashita, Yuna Shiraiwa, Yuhana Yokoi, Ayaka Hosoda, Nana Araki, Tomoe Kawabata

Riku Miura/Shoya Ichihashi

Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto

Category B : Sota Yamamoto, Taichiro Yamakuma, Shu Nakamura, Sena Miyake, Mitsuki Sumoto, Kao Miura

Yuna Aoki, Moa Iwano , Akari Matsubara, Rinka Watanabe, Wakana Naganawa, Rino Matsuke

No Marin. But it could be changed when GP assignment out

Five women and four men on the special list? Makes me wonder exactly how athletes qualify for these levels, because I would have expected an equal number of each. Also, too bad Kazuki's not on the special list at this moment. I think he's the one from the Category A group that could benefit the most from having that extra level of support. 

45 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Five women and four men on the special list? Makes me wonder exactly how athletes qualify for these levels, because I would have expected an equal number of each. Also, too bad Kazuki's not on the special list at this moment. I think he's the one from the Category A group that could benefit the most from having that extra level of support. 

All I know is that nationals play a big part, hence why Dai is in and not Marin for instance. But surely there are other criteria. Maybe worlds/gp? 

Yeah why 4 men 5 women? This is very unfair. Kazuki won a GP medal this season, why is he left out? He’s more qualified than Dai in my opinion. Why can’t they include both Kazuki and Dai? JSF’s politics baffles me. Since Shoma and Dai are in Shizuka’s agency, who is a JSF official, it’s understandable if they are favored by JSF. All industries work this way. But Marin has SB 32 higher than Wakaba’s SB 37. And Marin isn’t on any of the lists really? Is JSF jealous of her beauty and popularity or something? 

This list seems to be going strictly by nationals and junior nationals this year, which is not the case in previous years. If you look at the order of the names, Kaori and Shoma being the first since they’re national champions, Yuzu is the last, an add-on. It wasn’t the case in previous years. Why change it this year specifically? Anything special happened? Suddenly this year JSF makes nationals the most important event to consider. Might as well take Yuzu off this list since he didn’t go to Nationals, instead of putting him last like an add-on who took other’s spot. 

8 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

There's no exact number how many skaters for S level. But we often don't see equal number of each. Last year there's 4 men and 6 ladies, its depend on the fields and potentials since Jpn ladies is stronger than men atm. I also think Kazuki deserve to be in S level, maybe he will move up later

7 hours ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

Yeah why 4 men 5 women? This is very unfair. Kazuki won a GP medal this season, why is he left out? He’s more qualified than Dai in my opinion. Why can’t they include both Kazuki and Dai? JSF’s politics baffles me. Since Shoma and Dai are in Shizuka’s agency, who is a JSF official, it’s understandable if they are favored by JSF. All industries work this way. But Marin has SB 32 higher than Wakaba’s SB 37. And Marin isn’t on any of the lists really? Is JSF jealous of her beauty and popularity or something? 

This list seems to be going strictly by nationals and junior nationals this year, which is not the case in previous years. If you look at the order of the names, Kaori and Shoma being the first since they’re national champions, Yuzu is the last, an add-on. It wasn’t the case in previous years. Why change it this year specifically? Anything special happened? Suddenly this year JSF makes nationals the most important event to consider. Might as well take Yuzu off this list since he didn’t go to Nationals, instead of putting him last like an add-on who took other’s spot. 

Please, most of Japanese skaters are in IMG, single out Shoma and Dai is ridiculous. This list is always follow by Nationals results since 2012. Senior Nationals medalist are always on S level for next season, that's why Dai is there. Its true that Marin didn't qualify any criteria, she's 15th at Nationals and didn't have good international results either. And why the order of the name being that important ? Its doesn't effect to the funding that Yuzuru receive. If being last in order is an add on, then you could say the same for Satoko and Wakaba. I doubt Yuzuru would care so much when he see his name is in 4th. 

------

A reminder again that this list will be updated after GP assginment out. Some skaters will moved up and some junior will be added by then.

6 hours ago, enno0287 said:

Funny how JSF think Dai has more potential than Kazuki.

I mean, I get that Dai's artistry is better but artistry alone won't make him competitive internationally.

I wonder what JSF wants to achieve by placing Dai at that special list.

Yes, I find that very very surprising, especially given that Dai hasn't decided whether he'll compete next year or not, as far as I know.

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes, I find that very very surprising, especially given that Dai hasn't decided whether he'll compete next year or not, as far as I know.

But if the National medalist has always been on the list in the past years then it's not surprising.

And the placement on the list doesn't matter either, it's not worth making a big deal out of it.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, Katt said:

JSF announce Team japan and  funding list for 2019-2020  season https://twitter.com/sponichiyamato/status/1121296475479138305

Special athletes : Yuzuru Hanyu, Shoma Uno, Daisuke Takahashi, Keiji Tanaka
Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Satoko Miyahara, Mai Mihara, Wakaba Higuchi

Category A : Kazuki Tomono, Koshiro Shimada, Yuma Kagiyama, Tatsuya Tsuboi,  Shun Sato

Mako Yamashita, Yuna Shiraiwa, Yuhana Yokoi, Ayaka Hosoda, Nana Araki, Tomoe Kawabata

Riku Miura/Shoya Ichihashi

Misato Komatsubara / Tim Koleto

Category B : Sota Yamamoto, Taichiro Yamakuma, Shu Nakamura, Sena Miyake, Mitsuki Sumoto, Kao Miura

Yuna Aoki, Moa Iwano , Akari Matsubara, Rinka Watanabe, Wakana Naganawa, Rino Matsuke

No Marin. But it could be changed when GP assignment out

I've seen some news regarding Dai's next season plan. It basically mentioned he will not be competing internationally and would like to concentrate on national competitions (not sure how many national competitions apart from the nationals). I've found JSF's decision to list Dai on special athlete a bit unfair for other skaters based on Dai's lack of commitment for international competitions. To be listed as special athlete, they're expected to return lot more "results" for the country/federation. So while Dai wants to have more fun in the house, the funding could have used for someone else who needs them to go lot further especially if that someone is young and hopeful. Sure, Yuzu has enough funding too I guess but Yuzu has brought results every year for the country.

8 hours ago, Katt said:

Please, most of Japanese skaters are in IMG, single out Shoma and Dai is ridiculous.

And why the order of the name being that important ?

Shoma and Dai are not in IMG, they’re in USM where Shizuka is, who is the VP of JSF. I wouldn’t be surprised if some other officials also secretly hold a stake in that company. But like I said, it’s the same in every industry, your connections are important. So I also wouldn’t say it’s unfair that Dai and Shizuka can promote their new show at this year’s worlds’ opening. In show business, network is even more important. 

http://usmjapan.com/management/

Last year, Yuzu was listed first despite missing nationals. I think the order matters in Japanese culture. Some subtle things that other cultures don’t care about are quite important there. 

On 4/26/2019 at 8:23 AM, sallycinnamon said:

But if the National medalist has always been on the list in the past years then it's not surprising.

And the placement on the list doesn't matter either, it's not worth making a big deal out of it.

Well what I think is funny is that there are no pairs skaters or ice dancers as Category S at all. If nationals is the only thing that matters, then why not? I mean no wonder pairs and ice dance will not take off in Japan at all, if they are always treated as 3rd class citizens (or lower) especially when it comes to funding which directly affects the number of skaters interested in the discipline and also the level/quality of training.