Team Japan

1 minute ago, luvsk8 said:

AFAIK is JSF doesn't prefer skaters to train overseas

(I find it's too hard to speaking something good regarding JSF)

A number of Japanese skaters have trained overseas. If you want to find a really xenophobic Federation, look closer at RusFed. 

1 hour ago, luvsk8 said:

JSF "did" their jobs in JW...

There will be only 2 spots for ladies.

How can coaches cultivate skaters that are internationally competitive with this Federation?

I think Tsuboi will stay in junior (but it's possible that he won't get any JGP spots like this season)

Yuma and Shun will get JGP spots and Yuma will probably get a senior challenger assignment too...

IMO, they should NOT give Sena any JGP spot even if Sena will stay in junior next season...

How does the selection work exactly? Last season Shun was a junior nats medalist and did even better at senior nats than this season, but he didn't get a JGP spot. So not sure than he or Yuma will get JGP spot next season.

1 hour ago, Yume said:

How does the selection work exactly? Last season Shun was a junior nats medalist and did even better at senior nats than this season, but he didn't get a JGP spot. So not sure than he or Yuma will get JGP spot next season.

Shun was 6th in Jr Nats the season prior to now. They prioritised spots for Sena, Mitsuki, Koshiro etc.. (the older boys essentially). Yuma got a spot because a country withdrew theirs / had no competing junior skater and JPN had priority for spots (not anymore for next season due to Koshiro and Tsuboi's placements). I like Yuma but he was 12th in Jr Nats '17/18 (as compared to Shun's 6th place finish) so I don't know how he got the open spot. Maybe placing first in the Asian Open 2018 Juniors division early in the season?

My bad. I mixed up Jnats with another domestic competition apparently.

Honestly the selection criteria is not clear at all. And the results of the test skates at the beginning of the season are not published.

And seems like there is a "senpai before" rule.

33 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Shun was 6th in Jr Nats the season prior to now. They prioritised spots for Sena, Mitsuki, Koshiro etc.. (the older boys essentially). Yuma got a spot because a country withdrew theirs / had no competing junior skater and JPN had priority for spots (not anymore for next season due to Koshiro and Tsuboi's placements). I like Yuma but he was 12th in Jr Nats '17/18 (as compared to Shun's 6th place finish) so I don't know how he got the open spot. Maybe placing first in the Asian Open 2018 Juniors division early in the season?

Maybe because Yuma won over Shun at Kanto Summer Trophy 2018 .. 

At Asian Open 2018 Yuma gets gold and Tsuboi Silver. Even though Tsuboi gets silver at Asian Open, he's off podium (4th place) at Gensan Summer trophy 2018, Mitsuki takes gold at this competition. Maybe that's why Tsuboi didn't get the spot for jgp?? I could be wrong tho. 

Regarding JGP selection, there is an internal selection event in June every year.

I think those potential candidates are selected from junior nationals and also spring competitions.

But what we don't know are the selection criteria.

10 hours ago, surimi said:

Maybe his jumps got wonky because of the new quads he's training?

My bet is on him and Sena to turn senior.

I think his jumps are always wonky and this feature is intensified in these years because of his height...

On 3/10/2019 at 10:51 PM, surimi said:

Maybe his jumps got wonky because of the new quads he's training?

I think it's the height.

Right now he isn't particularly a good jumper, and while he shows potential artistically, in its current state he will not stand out. With neither this nor that, I think he will be lost in the shuffle. But a lot could change over the summer, so let's see, plus he could be pushed as Japan number three from next season on.