Team Japan

27 minutes ago, liv said:

Hongo to McLeod? Did NOT see that coming..... Kevin speaks Japanese so that should help...does she speak english?

It doesn't make sense because one of Rika's problems is her UR jumps.... and Kevin, unfortunately, also has UR jumps..... But! Hopefully it'll all work out for her!

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

It doesn't make sense because one of Rika's problems is her UR jumps.... and Kevin, unfortunately, also has UR jumps..... But! Hopefully it'll all work out for her!

That was my first thought too. I am no fan of McLeod Taught  jumps.

3 時間前, kaerythさんが言いました:

AbemaTV showed some footage of TJ's challenger series (check ACI thread for Yuzu stuff).

They did some flexibility tests...

But they weren't able to measure Yuzu...

I believe Sota Yamamoto marked around 32cm in TV program "Kenji's Room"

https://www.jsports.co.jp/press/article/N2018092510125406_4.html

Unbelievable aren't they !!

I confess I can't even reach the floor :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

I'll watch Sara and Miyu Honda to cheer me up :68556365:

7 hours ago, liv said:

Hongo to McLeod? Did NOT see that coming..... Kevin speaks Japanese so that should help...does she speak english?

Huh, that is ... odd. Am not sure that'll help unfortunately but best of luck to her.

Her father is British so I'd say the answer to that question is yes. 

5 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Huh, that is ... odd. Am not sure that'll help unfortunately but best of luck to her.

Her father is British so I'd say the answer to that question is yes. 

I'd heard years before that she was half British,  but I've known people who are half/half something yet they don't speak the other *half.* I've never seen her in interviews or press conferences, so I have no idea.

From my experience among my friends if the mother is the person who is living in a foreign environment the children will be bi lingual- if it’s the dad it’s not happened among my acquaintance ( French, Spanish, Maltese) - and those examples are a lot less difficult in terms of the gulf between the languages than an English/ Japanese interface.

5 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

From my experience among my friends if the mother is the person who is living in a foreign environment the children will be bi lingual- if it’s the dad it’s not happened among my acquaintance ( French, Spanish, Maltese) - and those examples are a lot less difficult in terms of the gulf between the languages than an English/ Japanese interface.

Yes, same here but I somehow always end up being surprised, as you'd think it is such a fab opportunity for a kid.

Anyway, I went and poked around now and it really does not appear she grew up bi-lingual. She uses an interpreter for interviews and not a single record of her talking in English, even to fans. 
That won't make things easy with the new coach. 

I would be overwhelmed with gratitude if they could rework those jumps to even approach her spins etc.  She’s climbing a higher mountain than Medvedeva, and trying to do it within  a few weeks which seems to me to be unlikely to succeed.  Whatever happens, she’s incredibly enjoyable to watch, and I really hope she proves me wrong.

6 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yes, same here but I somehow always end up being surprised, as you'd think it is such a fab opportunity for a kid.

Anyway, I went and poked around now and it really does not appear she grew up bi-lingual. She uses an interpreter for interviews and not a single record of her talking in English, even to fans. 

It's really hard to raise kids bilingual, especially in countries where few people are fluent in the other language. Several of my coworkers are raising their children bilingual, and it is challenging because for the first few years it results in very weak language skills in either language compared to other children in the same age group. And often they'll lose the language by the time they're teens because they only speak it at home. 

But hopefully she'll be able to understand the new coach. She probably understands skating lingo, at the very least.

12 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

FWIW, she understands at least some basic stuff like when fans ask her for an autograph and a photo. I know for sure that I was unable to say these phrases in Japanese last year at Nepela Trophy, yet she understood perfectly what I was asking for and I got both. :smiley-transport017:It was painful to see her struggle this year though, I wish the best for her. Hopefully she regains her jumps and her joy. :fingerscrossed:

8Rinks has two Japanese coaches. One of them is Megumu Seki who used to teach Yuka Nagai. According to this article, he'll be in Rika's coaching team, so the language barrier will not be a big problem for her.
Rika's former coach Hiroshi Nagakubo was known as a good jump coach, (though I am not a huge fan of Nagakubo-style jumps because their set-up often stick out and break the flow of the choreography) but he retired from coaching a while ago, so the skating club Rika belonged to wasn't ideal for reworking jumps anyway.

Don't know how she made this decision, but wishing her best of luck. I loved her Frida last year and am hoping to see her skating strong again.

ETA: Re-wrote this post because it was written when I was about to fall asleep...