Team Japan

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

Probably check this twitter from time to time: https://twitter.com/icephilosopher

They translate everything Tasuki related.

Thank you! I was also able to find this link with the translation and it’s truly beautiful. In the words of Jack G, “it’s worth reading”

http://tatsuki-machida.tumblr.com/post/178800711497/to-everyone-who-has-supported-me

one of the most beautiful skaters of all time closing off with one of the most beautiful performances and speeches in the history of figure skating <3

edit: im sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, i know we usually discuss active skaters but i couldnt help myself!

3 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Why is Wakaba taking part in regionals? Doesn't she have an automatic invitation to Nationals?

She was neither top 3 in last nationals nor being assigned to Nebelhorn Trophy / Finlandia Trophy [i.e. events held before or after 1 week when the regional starts]

So she needs to compete at regionals...

1 hour ago, luvsk8 said:

She was neither top 3 in last nationals nor being assigned to Nebelhorn Trophy / Finlandia Trophy [i.e. events held before or after 1 week when the regional starts]

So she needs to compete at regionals...

But... Neither was Yuzu. How come Yuzu gets a bye and Waka doesn't despite a Worlds silver?

16 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

But... Neither was Yuzu. How come Yuzu gets a bye and Waka doesn't despite a Worlds silver?

JSF already decided to give Yuzuru a seed at the beginning of the season. Seed skaters = reigning national medalists. Wakaba was 4th last year, world medalist wont count in this case

Even if JSF didn't give Yuzuru a bye, I guess he would have to do Tohoku-Hokkaido Regional which is the same week as ACI so either way he would get a bye. 

Lots of skaters would get a bye at western/eastern section because they have GPs 

2 minutes ago, Katt said:

JSF already decided to give Yuzuru a seed at the beginning of the season. Seed skaters = National medalists. Wakaba was 4th last year, world medalist wont count in this case

Even if JSF didn't give Yuzuru a bye, I guess he would have to do Tohoku-Hokkaido Regional which is the same week as ACI so either way he would get a bye. 

I mean of course it makes sense that Yuzu gets a bye and ACI makes it completely within rules, but if they were willing to just give a bye to their Olympic champion, they could have done the same for their Worlds vice-Champion. *grumble grumble* Will she have to skate in sectionals as well?

1 minute ago, Moria Polonius said:

I mean of course it makes sense that Yuzu gets a bye and ACI makes it completely within rules, but if they were willing to just give a bye to their Olympic champion, they could have done the same for their Worlds vice-Champion. *grumble grumble* Will she have to skate in sectionals as well?

Yeah, its weird to see a world silver compete at regional, but maybe this is only her 3rd senior season, and her results aren't really that consistent compare to Yuzuru. Wakaba won't have to skate at sectionals because its the same week as Skate canada ^^

I remember when Mao comeback, she want to do regional but the local said that they can't arrange an event with a big star like her, so JSF had to take her JO results instead (JO is not an ISU comp). Dai is different because he comeback after 4years, he's no longer in SB/PB list or world standing. 

They couldn't just let Mao enter regionals? I guess they meant they wouldn't have been able to handle the fan and media interest? In that case I'm not so surprised  they made an exception for Yuzu and gave him a bye right from the start, with him it'd have been 10 times worse.

But with Wakaba not doing sectionals still makes no sense to me. The process of advancing from regionals to nationals gets interrupted. Will her Skate Canada result be taken into account instead of sectionals when qualifying for nationals?

5 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

They couldn't just let Mao enter regionals? I guess they meant they wouldn't have been able to handle the fan and media interest? In that case I'm not so surprised  they made an exception for Yuzu and gave him a bye right from the start, with him it'd have been 10 times worse.

But with Wakaba not doing sectionals still makes no sense to me. The process of advancing from regionals to nationals gets interrupted. Will her Skate Canada result be taken into account instead of sectionals when qualifying for nationals?

Yes, with Mao its mosly fan and media attention. Its a logistic nightmare for JSF. With Dai, they have no choice. 

Yes, her SC result would count instead of sectionals.

From what i know, if you're not seed, you have to do Regionals, then western/eastern section to qualify for Nationals. But if skater is assigned to international event 2 (or 1) week before/after these national qualifying, they automatically have a bye. Marin Honda was 7th but she doesn't have to do Regional ( she did Nebelhorn Trophy) or Sectionals (Skate America). The same with Sota Yamamoto (Finlandia trophy and NHK)

Kazuki won the Kinki regionals and he doens't need to do sectionals because of skate canada too 

(Tbh I'm not 100% sure about this, maybe some japanese fans can explain it better OTL)