Team Japan

Korea will also pass them. They need an intervention. Build a rink and beg Yuko Kavaguti to start a pairs program in Japan.

How's the state of Korean pairs/dancers? I'm admittedly not very well versed in this field :silent:

(and sorry for being "off-topic") :tongue:

I also have team tickets, so the more chances to see Yuzu the better.

Lol I for one would not be terribly excited if Japan actually qualified for the team event. There's a very low chance of medalling, while single skaters are whipped into skating their best out of responsibility. I'm selfish and I want Yuzu to do his best at the Singles' event, NOT Team event :cry:

The team event served him well. I think he skated better in the single event than he did in the team event because it gave him a chance to get comfortable with the ice and atmosphere (especially knowing they have very little chance to medal). I think those who skate in the team event will have an advantage in their singles events.

Korea will also pass them. They need an intervention. Build a rink and beg Yuko Kavaguti to start a pairs program in Japan.

How's the state of Korean pairs/dancers? I'm admittedly not very well versed in this field :silent:

(and sorry for being "off-topic") :tongue:

Getting better. Multiple decent teams in each. It's why I mentioned it. Watching 4CC I thought, hmmm, they're moving ahead. But they probably invested years ago for their Olympics, and their efforts are bearing fruit.

Yeah, and Shoma lacks the charisma that Yuzu has both on and off cameras. I'm not following the juniors field but there seems to be no major star being nurtured.

Yeah, and Shoma lacks the charisma that Yuzu has both on and off cameras. I'm not following the juniors field but there seems to be no major star being nurtured.

Off camera? Yeah Shoma is nowhere close to as good with media/audiences as Yuzu. Yuzuru just naturally has all the makings of a huge star (talent, drive, personality, intelligence, ability to deal with the media, good at speaking, charm, looks...) but Shoma at least has charisma when performing :P And he has charm it's just an awkward kind of charm :smile:

But it seems JSF is focusing everything on Marin and just building Shoma up through skating/results/setting him up as Yuzu's rival (boo) but not really looking at junior men and nurturing a new star early. I guess they are just hoping another Daisuke or Yuzuru will just happen naturally without them really paying attention to anyone in particular :nah:

Same here. I am following Japanese juniors, and I will be frank here without any intention to offend or anything, I think for the men they are quite behind. Kazuki is 18, had a 4S and 3A, Koshiro is 15, but barely has a 3A. I heard Shun Sato is practicing 3A, but in my opinion none of the juniors really "soar" yet. Of course they could suddenly gained their jumps in such a short time (like how Shoma gained his 4T+3A), things might be different. But as of now, I think it would need to wait the younger ones (the novice ones, not the junior ones) to develop before they can fill the current skaters' shoes

If you compare it to the US, Russians (or even Cha Jun Hwan (15, has 4S and 3A + 4T and 4Lo in practice) or Stephen Gogolev (CAN, Has 4S and 3A, 4Lz and 4T in practice), they are objectively behind.

For the olympics spot, I think come rain or shine the 2 spots would be given to Shoma and Yuzuru. While the 3rd spot is a fight between Keiji, Sota, Mura, Dice, Ryuju (I hope I forgot noone)

For the ladies, I think any of the combination of these 5 ladies is possible --> Satoko, Mai, Wakaba, Marin, Kaori. (I honestly think Rika has very low to almost no chance, but hey ice is slippery)

For pairs, it will go to Ryuichi and dance kana and chris (if they get one)

About Japan getting the team spot, I think they will likely get it, there are still many spots left and their team is the ne who have big chance to get them. That said, I won't be too sad or bothered if they don't qualify, more chance to rest for the others. It' not like Javi or denis ten or yuna kin skate in the team last olympics, and they all did okay.

yuzuangel said:
Honestly, I think Kaori doesn't have as much of a chance to get it either. I think it will be Satoko + Mai, Satoko + Marin, or Mai + Marin.

She is actually consistent in the SP. Not so much in the LP but more consistent than Marin and Wakaba, imo. She has big PCS (29 and 60, not so far from Marin or even Mai in her senior debut), in a much better start than Mai was when she enter senior season. If she actually can do what Mai do, being relatively clean in her senior debut. She has as good as a chance as the others. Mai was actually behind wakaba, marin and even Yuna S in the junior season of 15/16, but her being quite consistent help her made a splash in the senior.

jinabee said:
Puniyo said:

Off camera? Yeah Shoma is nowhere close to as good with media/audiences as Yuzu. Yuzuru just naturally has all the makings of a huge star (talent, drive, personality, intelligence, ability to deal with the media, good at speaking, charm, looks...) but Shoma at least has charisma when performing :P And he has charm it's just an awkward kind of charm :smile:

But it seems JSF is focusing everything on Marin and just building Shoma up through skating/results/setting him up as Yuzu's rival (boo) but not really looking at junior men and nurturing a new star early. I guess they are just hoping another Daisuke or Yuzuru will just happen naturally without them really paying attention to anyone in particular :nah:

I mean (by off) when he is not being interviewed and such :P

So is Marin Honda supposed to be the new light for Japan in the future? Her R&J program has not attracted me much to be honest. Still rooting for Mai :clap:

Oh Marin WILL get lauded into all sorts of push from the federation, that's for sure. Whether she can deliver under pressure is another thing. I actually do think she has the most complete package, she only needs to work on consistency and judges will pour raining points towards her way. Like Kaetlyn Osmond's case. You can't admit she does a have a little spark, even if dimmer than Mao's, more recognisable than many other Japanese ladies competing at the moment.

KO has great SS and big jumps though so I think the big score in terms of PCS and GOE for her is justifiable. It is just that she almost never skate a clean LP.

Kaori and Wakaba's jumps are pretty big imo, the two of them are also fast; have good SS. If consistent they will be tough to beat (especially if Wakaba's 3A is actually happening) Marin is actually my favorite ladies skater among currently competing skaters, but I think she is kind of like a jack of all trades, she is considerably good/ok in all aspects but not really the best (a complete skater, I'd say). Her jumps are so-so, so does her spin, her SS are great but I won't put her at the top too in terms of SS. But she got all the weapons, and many rooms to improve. I hope the media is not suffocating her so much and let her grow as a skater because she has the potential.