Team Japan

As @surimi pointed out there were some missing translations.  I'm adding the translation of what was previously omitted in the transcript of Episode 2.  Next time I work on the transcript I'll compare it with the video clip first to make sure my translation covers the entire conversation.  Here's the translation to be added to page 1 & 2 of Episode 2.

*after the question about the occupation of his choice once reborn at the beginning of the 1st page*

K:  Next question.

Q: What is your favorite sport?

S:  Well, Skating comes to mind first.

K:  Oh, you love skating.

S:  Yes I love it.

K:  Of course.  Of course you do.  But I didn’t think about it.  I sort of thought that you would give me something usual such as baseball.  What do you love in skating? (laugh).

ETA:  Please also note the corrections I made on page 5, Episode 2.

S:  Ummm…What inspired me to skate is it is cool and fun, so I continue skating.  Ummm…in what way?  Well, actually when I see figure skating footage I get fascinated because it is really amazing and cool.

K:  Hmm, amazing, cool.  Uh oh?  Is it only me?  Expecting something other than skating? (laugh).  Weird.

S:  I am sorry (laugh).

K:  No, you are totally cool.

*Next question is what he would be doing 10 year later.*

*After they talked about Shohei Otani at the end of page 1*

S:   Kenji sensei is more kakkoii.

K:  Don’t be silly.  Otani, the pitcher Shohei Otani.  Do you want to play baseball?  Let’s play baseball next time.

S:  Thank you, but I’m not good at it.

K:  Next question.

Q :  What era do you want to go with a Time Machine.

S:  Ummm..When I was little I used to say “I love dinosaurs” (laugh).  I want to go back to that era.

K:  Jurassic period?

S:  Hehehe

K:  Cretaceous period?

S:  Yes.

K:  Really?

S:  Yes, I wish I could see live dinosaurs with my own eyes.

K:  I tell you what, me too. Yaay! (high five) (laugh)  Oh, yeah.  Good.  Next time I will buy you a dinosaur souvenir, dinosaur model like the one they sell at freeway rest area.  I hope you will be looking forward to it.

S:  Thank you very much.

*moves on to the question of what he looks for in a girl on page 2*

ETA:  Please note the corrections I made on page 5, Episode 2, too.

This portion is the beginning of the Episode 1 before Sota and Kenji meet and talk. 

Kenji speaking on TV camera

Nagano hosted the Winter Olympics 20 years ago.  I came to see the games as an audience with the tickets I bought.  I might add that I was excited that I was even wearing suits.  Well, today’s guest is (showing his portrait of Sota).  How do you think of it?  I personally think it resembles him.

(staff:  What is the main point of the portrait?)

The point I paid attention to is his eyes that seem to look afar.  I really feel all the time that his eyes look into the far distance--like they look into tomorrow.  The profound look on his eyes is one of his characteristics.

(staff:  What is your impression of him?)

My impression of him is—he is very quiet and he only says はい (t/n:  はいcan mean “yes” or “I see.”) to me.  That’s my image of him.  Although I explain things to him in choreography sessions, we don’t usually chat.  This time I want to ask him various questions—questions such as what he does in daily life and about college life.  I want to ask him a lot of questions other than skating.  Then, off I go. (showing off his portrait of Sota)

Sota on camera

The first time I met Kenji sensei was at the training camp, and I thought he was a little scary.  But when I was a high school freshman I asked him to choreograph my programs and since then he has been nice to me and I think he is cool.  (staff:  What’s like to be when you meet him usually?)  Well, I only get to greet him when I meet him.  Sometimes he pokes fun at me (in a good way) when he passes by me and I enjoy his teasing because it makes me feel relaxed.

4 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Didn't she keep her FP from last season? that was a great program (at least for me)

yeah, but her 2 programs last ss were boring for me too. Like too generic? I'm not sure what style will suit her but I think she needs more "memorable" programs.

54 minutes ago, monchan said:

yeah, but her 2 programs last ss were boring for me too. Like too generic? I'm not sure what style will suit her but I think she needs more "memorable" programs.

Good, I thought she changed it and was ready to cry :biggrin:

I think it is a matter of taste. I liked both her Cinderella and The Mission and I think those programs suited her. Maybe there is something better for her than that style but I can't really think of anything. I do believe that she is trying to be safe this season because of the disappointment of last season and I can't fault her for that. Her SP is boring unfortunately and she deserves so much better, but what can we do other than wish her luck  :sigh:

I just looked at Rika Kihira FS at Onderi Nepela and I have to say a love that program as much as I like Rika and her way to be a complete package: from beautiful jumps, to speed and SS (that are growing), posture and arms and also the capacity of performing, that's coming out with more maturity, for her age and experience speaking : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn6vSA9-aJI.

Tom Dixon has crafted some of the best coreographies for the Japanese ladies in these last years and I absolutely prefer them to those of DW and of LN (except Satoko's "Sayuri").

Rika is exactly "A beautiful storm" on the ice (and in a very competitive field). I hope she can mantain calm and to have good performances on the next and more important stages.

This is also Rika's twitter update from the competition: https://twitter.com/rika_kihira/stat...23854032252934

17 hours ago, Neenah said:

Good, I thought she changed it and was ready to cry :biggrin:

I think it is a matter of taste. I liked both her Cinderella and The Mission and I think those programs suited her. Maybe there is something better for her than that style but I can't really think of anything. I do believe that she is trying to be safe this season because of the disappointment of last season and I can't fault her for that. Her SP is boring unfortunately and she deserves so much better, but what can we do other than wish her luck  :sigh:

For me, if I had to, had to, I'd say East of Eden would work for her. But overall, lyrical style suits her. I kind of want to see what would happen if she went with Tom Dickson, but well, I'm not her team so I can just pray and wish. >_>