Team Japan

And Japan are so bad at pairs and ice dance that there is absolutely NO chance that they could get the gold - even medaling is going to be tough.

That is, if they even qualify...

This is probably a very stupid question but I know zip about the team event. So Japan needs to have at least 1 entry in each discipline to qualify for the team event? And if the ice dance team doesn't qualify for a spot, then none of the skaters have to do the team event? (yes I said "have to" for a reason)

And Japan are so bad at pairs and ice dance that there is absolutely NO chance that they could get the gold - even medaling is going to be tough.

That is, if they even qualify...

This is probably a very stupid question but I know zip about the team event. So Japan needs to have at least 1 entry in each discipline to qualify for the team event? And if the ice dance team doesn't qualify for a spot, then none of the skaters have to do the team event? (yes I said "have to" for a reason)

yes, i believe so.

i do have tickets to the men's SP, though, so i kind of wish they're forced to

Lol I for one would not be terribly excited if Japan actually qualified for the team event. There's a very low chance of medalling, while single skaters are whipped into skating their best out of responsibility. I'm selfish and I want Yuzu to do his best at the Singles' event, NOT Team event :cry:

I really wish Satoko and Mai can go. One can say that Nationals are a fair way to choose people but we all know how politicking gets on the way.

Satoko was unfortunately out during the the last half of the season during injury but she is a good skater overall. For Mai, I actually love her more than Satoko. There is so much potential in her that I would like to see developed. Also, she apparently learnt from Yuzu to jump from lower SPs to to the podium xD

As for men, it's most likely between Mura and Keiji as seeing now. Sota :empathy: I dont know, but I am sure he will give a fight if his body situation allows him to.

It'd be something if Sota could be at the same Olympics as Yuzuru but on the other hand, I hope they are going to take great care with his progress next season. The following quad is more his, culminating with 2022, so as he's such a huge hopeful and frankly, probably the only one coming up at the moment, that is probably priority.

True. I originally thought Koshiro could follow up but not very promising so far tho I keep a spot in my heart for him.

How is Japan's state in pairs aside from Suto/Boudreau-Audet? He probably won't be able to compete for Japan in the olympics so if they qualified for the team event who would they send?

Not good. Terrible in fact. Their next available qualifying pair is

-Miu Suzaki/Ryuichi Kihara

-Narumi Takahashi/Ryo Shibata

There's a decent chance of Suto/Boudreau-Audet getting a spot at Nebelhorn but whichever Japanese pair gets chosen to go to the Olympics will definitely finish dead last in the team event. :-|

How about the ice dance pair Kana Muramoto and Chris Reed? Are they already in for the Olympics? I kind of like them after their performance in WTT.

No, they didn't qualify for the FS in Helsinki...they'll need to go to Nebelhorn and skate for a spot. Sigh...I'm going to just close my eyes and hope for the best when the time comes. :sad:

As for men, it's most likely between Mura and Keiji as seeing now. Sota :empathy: I dont know, but I am sure he will give a fight if his body situation allows him to.

It'd be something if Sota could be at the same Olympics as Yuzuru but on the other hand, I hope they are going to take great care with his progress next season. The following quad is more his, culminating with 2022, so as he's such a huge hopeful and frankly, probably the only one coming up at the moment, that is probably priority.

True. I originally thought Koshiro could follow up but not very promising so far tho I keep a spot in my heart for him.

Then I hold out hope that he gets his wish....to skate in 2022........with Yuzu :silent:

It's a pity that Japan has invested a lot in fostering skaters for the singles categories but neglected the pairs. China also started with pairs but their singles field is growing stronger.

It's a pity that Japan has invested a lot in fostering skaters for the singles categories but neglected the pairs. China also started with pairs but their singles field is growing stronger.

If Japan doesn't do sth about their weakness, I could see China seriously threatening them as a team in the future. The vast difference in terms of skills between singles and pairs/dancers will hurt them severely if not properly addressed. There's more balance overall in team China which I think would be beneficial to up their ranking

How is Japan's state in pairs aside from Suto/Boudreau-Audet? He probably won't be able to compete for Japan in the olympics so if they qualified for the team event who would they send?

Not good. Terrible in fact. Their next available qualifying pair is

-Miu Suzaki/Ryuichi Kihara

-Narumi Takahashi/Ryo Shibata

There's a decent chance of Suto/Boudreau-Audet getting a spot at Nebelhorn but whichever Japanese pair gets chosen to go to the Olympics will definitely finish dead last in the team event. :-|

Well, that sucks. There's nothing to be done about them but I still feel bad for S/B because I thought they were lovely at worlds :(

I understand there's a variety of factors coming into play here but damn do I wish they could develop a strong pairs program for the next quad.