Team Japan

14 hours ago, surimi said:

I badly need to see this interview translated bc google translate is such a disgrace :tantrum:

I will break it down by page and here goes the first page,

K:  This is the first time I see you in your own clothes, perhaps.  You look really cool (laugh).

S:  You really think so?  Ah, just the color only (is cool).  (laugh)

K:  Today’s guest is Sota Yamamoto.  Last year you had a really hard time with trouble after trouble.

S:  Yes, indeed.

K:  You broke your bone twice and had three surgeries?  That’s terrible.

S:  Yes, terrible (laugh)

K:  And, you came back last season.  Was the Chubu District Competition your first one?  How was it?

S:  Well, I could barely practice and my mind was not ready.  I could only do single jumps and I was embarrassed to compete.  I did not want to compete at that time.

K:  I see.

S:  I had asked many people around me if I should compete (laugh).  I managed somehow.  That is how it was.

K:  But, you fans really cheered for you so much.  Applaud, screams and such.

S:  Yes, I was so grateful.

K:  When you heard the audience scream, did you feel that “Oh! I came back.”?  Or did you have mixed feelings?

S:  Well, I was thinking “I can only do single jumps and is it OK for me to say that I came back?”

How the name “Sota” came out.

K:  Your name “草太Sota” is uncommon.  The kanji「草」is rarely used.

S:  Certainly so, if you think about it.

K:  How did your parent come up with this name?

S:  They gave me an answer when I asked them that question.  They had two names in mind; “Sota” or Ryota”.  Then, when they saw my face when I was born, they thought “Oh yeah! He’s got “Sota” face.” (laugh)   Not “Ryota”

K: But it’s the name people can easily remember, isn’t it?  Do you like it?

S:  Yes, it’s rare indeed and I like my name.

K:  Can I call you “So-chan?”  I always call you “So-chan” anyway.

S:  Yes, please. (laugh)

@surimi.....If you want me to continue, give me some time.

Here's second page,

The Reason Why He Started to Skate

K:  OK, So-chan, what inspired you to skate?

S:  My mother loves skating and had been enjoying watching figure skating on TV at home before I was born.

K:  Oh, she loves watching, not actually skating.

S:  Yes, After I was born she kept watching FS on TV and I watched together.  When I was 5 or 6 year-old I saw Evgeni Plushenko winning a gold medal and thought “Wow! How cool he is!” and I told her “I want to learn to skate”

K:  So you said yourself.  Then, she took you to a skating rink.  Didn’t make it your mother very happy?

S:  Yes, But she had never thought about me skating. She just really loved watching FS and she told me that she was surprised.

K:  You went to the rink and started skating, and did you get into it right away?

S:  The first time I went, I saw everybody skating so smoothly and easily, and I thought “Ah, it’s easy.”  And I got on the ice without holding onto the rail.  I slipped and fell.

K:  On your first step?  (laugh)

S:  Yes, I remember I fell down on my first step.  That really hurt (laugh).

K:  I see.  You remember that.

S:  Yes, That’s my first memory of skating.

What Draws him into Skating

K:  You slipped and fell and it made you really feel good?  What is the attraction of skating for you?

S:  At the beginning I had a hard time standing even while touching the wall (laugh).

K:  You couldn’t stand with hands on the wall?

S:  Yes, I was touching the wall the whole time to keep me from falling.  At first I thought “It’s so hard and I don’t like it.”  But after a while I could do various moves and I started thinking “Ah, I’m having fun.” I don’t remember clearly though.

K:  But you remember clearly you fell down the first time.  You fell on your butt?

S:  I do remember that clearly.  It’s so painful (laugh).

In Novice Days He Often Hung out with Friends

K:  Then, do you recall anything while you were a novice skater?

S:  I was an elementary/middle school kid, and I remember I played with my friends a lot.

K:  So your memory of being a novice skater is “having fun with your friends.”  (laugh) Then, is there any particular competition that left a strong impression on you?

S:  Just as I thought it would be, Japan National Novice Championship which is the most important competition among novice skaters.  I usually went all out in any competition but I was particularly nervous in a good way at that completion and wanted to skate the best I could do.

@surimi, If you don't stop me I will keep translating the rest.

I guess the reason why google translation throws you off is that Kenji and Sota were somewhat relaxed and they both talked in Kansai (western) dialect.

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

@Rainbow Thank you for the translations so far!!! :7938863:

I'm actually having fun translating this amusing chat. 

The page 3 follows,

K:  You were nervous.  But didn’t you say that you don’t get nervous usually?

S:  Did I?  I get nervous a lot.  Japan Novice National Championship was the one when I got most nervous.

K: What happens when you get nervous?

When I was posing at the beginning of the program, my legs were too shaky to hold me still (laugh).

K:  So much?  Your knees were laughing so hard that they shook violently?

S:  Yes (laugh).

Memories of Junior Days – 2012 Japan Junior National Championship 4th Place

K:  What about moving up to junior competitions?  Any memories?

S:  I started competing at Japan Novice National Championship and ended up with the good results, which helped me enter into Japan Junior National Championship.  The second time around I was able to place 4th, and it is the best results in my earlier career.

K:  How did it go?  Your impression?

S:  Well, I lack stamina and was thinking “The length of the program is longer now and it’s tiring.”

K:  That’s what impressed you the most. OK... “Hey, 30 seconds longer--What’s going on?”  (laugh)

S:  “Hey, More jumps--What the heck!” something like that (laugh).

K:  But it’s just one more jump, isn’t it? (laugh)

S:  Yes, but that one more jump was tough.

Placed 14th at Japan National Championship and Received Newcomer Award

K:  And you placed 14th at Japan National Championship and was given the newcomer award.  You only have one chance to get it.  Were you happy?

S:  But..I did not get the feeling that I was given something as prize.  Did I get anything?

Nooo!  You’d better say “Yes, I’m happy.” first, instead of “I didn’t get any prize goods.” (laugh)

How was it?  I have no idea because I never got that award myself.

S:  It’s not an award certificate or trophy, and after the competition at the arena I heard the announcement about the award. After all, the venue was a large Saitama Super Arena and I was happy to hear the announcement delivered to a large audience.

K:  Next season, you placed 6th at Japan National and won bronze at the World Junior.  Wasn’t it awesome?

S:  I worked very hard (laugh).

K:  So you say (laugh).  You landed 3A twice?  How did you feel?

S:  I focused on practicing 3A, so I was happy I nailed it.

K:  At practice you were doing well, too?

S:  No.  The success rate of my landing 3A was not good.  I was doing fine with other jumps, but axel jump was the only one not stable and I was worried.

K:  But you jumped clean?

S:  I sort of landed clean and I was glad.

K:  You raised your clenched fists?

S:  I did (laugh).

...I'll be back tomorrow with some more pages.

12 hours ago, Rainbow said:

Here's second page,

[......]

@surimi, If you don't stop me I will keep translating the rest.

I guess the reason why google translation throws you off is that Kenji and Sota were somewhat relaxed and they both talked in Kansai (western) dialect.

:worship: and  :thanks: !!! I'm happy to read your translations!

Eh, google translate is nonsensical when used between two vastly different langauges, so the Kansai dialect is not to blame. ;) For example Sota's name in kana became 'okay', and '出たほうがいいの' became 'You'd better leave' (ok, I can't blame them for homonyms but it illustrates how sometimes the google translation becomes the exact opposite of what it should be)... and a whole bunch of other things. ^ ^ You're my saviour. My sensei should send you a bouquet of flowers, because it means I won't pester him with this all tomorrow, lol.

10 hours ago, surimi said:

I'm happy to read your translations!

I am glad you like it so far.  Thank you for directing me to this interesting talk, and I'm enjoying it.

Page 4,

He is from Kishiwada, Osaka

K:  Sota-kun, you’re from Osaka, arent’you?  Kishiwada in Osaka?

S:  Yes, I am.

K:  So that means you speak hardcore Kansai dialect, but I don’t get that vibe from you.

S:  Yes, Looks like it.  But I got scolded many times when I was little, at places like school.

K:  Huh? What? Why did you get scolded?

S:  I was fidgety.

K:  Really?  Were you?

S:  I was scolded often because I could not stay calm and got too giddy.

K:  I cannot imagine you like that now.

S:  I don’t blame you.  These days I’m more focused, I hope.”

K:  Stay quiet?

S:   Umm…I’m not consciously doing it (laugh).

K:  You know, Kansai people, don’t you hate it that people expect you to be funny the moment you say you’re a “Kansai man”?

S:  Right.  I began skating in Osaka and moved to Nagoya when I was in the first year of junior high school.  In Nagoya people around me kept telling me “You’re from Osaka so say something funny,” or “Tell us something in Kansai dialect.”  I was really in trouble back then.

K:  You couldn’t crack a joke at all?

S:   I cannot tell jokes (laugh).  I didn’t know what to do.

K:  Well, then.  Please tell me a joke.

S: Hmmm, I really cannot.  I cannot come up with anything funny at all (laugh).

K:  Do you know of anything that Kansai people relate to?  Other than “Say something funny.”--like “Baaang!” (Kenji pretends to shoot him with a gun.)

S:  “Wow” (pretending to get shot)  But, you rushed me too much (laugh)

K:  You don’t see anybody doing it on the street, though.

S:  Right (laugh)

Page 5,

K:  Are there any other thing that Kansai people share among themselves?

S:  It’s not the Kansai people thing, but I often feel this personally--in Osaka I used to stand on the right side of the escalator because that’s the way it is there. (t/n to leave the other side open for people in a hurry to walk up/down)

K:  Yes.

S:   After moving to Nagoya I came back to Osaka a few times a year.  I found myself standing on the left side of the escalator.  I get a little disappointed in myself because I feel “Well, I guess I’m losing my Osaka sense.”

K:  So you feel frustrated (laugh).  Osaka sure has a right side rule.  But at Shin Osaka Station or Airport many people from Tokyo are using the escalator there, so not everybody are from Osaka.  It’s OK to be on the same side of the people in front of you.

S:  I guess you’re right.

K:  What about the moving walkway?  Everybody in Kansai keeps walking all the time.  But at Tokyo Station some people stand still on the left side.

S:  Oh, I see.  I understand.

Question Time

K:  These questions used to come from the box.  Anyway, go ahead!

Q:  What do you want to do if you’re given one month vacation?

S:  Let me see.  I’ve been overseas to compete, but I’ve never traveled without bringing in my skating shoes.  So I want to go out on a trip somewhere without competition schedule.

K:  Where?  Overseas?

S:  I want to travel overseas, too.

K:  Overseas?  Where?

S:  I can only come up with the all-too-common places.

K:  Tell me!  Tell me!

S:  There are many countries that I’ve never visited.  Perhaps Hawaii (laugh).

K:  Oh, Hawaii is awesome.  You have one month to enjoy so you’ll be totally tanned dark (laugh).

S:  Yes (laugh).  I imagine it’s such a beautiful place.

K:  So you want to travel.  Too bad you don’t have time now. You need to practice skating and take care of your body. You have to void the risk of injury.  Next time you have time then.  OK, next question.

...I'm almost finished with the last page, but I have to go out now.  I'll be back later with the last page.

Last page,

Q:  If you’re given 100 million yen what do you your money?

S:  I’m not very much interested in money or so called material desire, relatively speaking.  Nothing pops up in my mind. Maybe I’ll spend little by little on travels or things like that if I have time.  Or else.. One hundred million yen?  Things to buy? Hmmm?

K:  This question is fun to ask.  There’s no way anyone will give you 100 million (laugh), but people get lost for words when asked this question.  And then they start thinking really hard about what to do.  Did you buy anything lately?

S:  Well, clothes (laugh).

K:  Clothes (laugh).  What kind of clothes did you buy?

S:  Practice outfits.  Also something to wear at college because I thought I’d have more chances to wear different clothes.

K:  That reminds me that the other day you guys were in my choreography class, and you were in a good looking red outfit.  Remember?  I thought you looked really cool in it, but you took it off right away, didn’t you? You said “I don’t like it because it makes me stand out.”  I thought “What the heck?” (laugh)  Let me tell you this. I had asked you to wear red clothes so that I can easily spot you among a bunch of people.  So you wore it although you hated it (laugh).

S:  No, it’s not that I hated it, but yes (laugh).

K:  Then you will spend 100 million yen on travels and clothes.  Next question!

Q:  What would you do on the last day on Earth?

S:  Let me see.  You know what?  I would like to be in constant physical motion (laugh).

K:  What do you mean by that?

S:  I want to keep physically active until I get too exhausted and collapse before 24-hour time is up.

K: You’d better define activities.  You can do many things such as dancing and walking?

S:  I’ll be skating, too.  Also, I enjoy eating so I will eat all my favorite foods till my stomach is full.

K:  What are your favorite foods?

S:  Too many to pick any particular favorite.  All foods taste good to me.

K:  Then, what foods you dislike?

S:  Very few.  Only “フキbutterbur(pronounced as fuki)”.

K: “Cookie”?

S:  You don’t know what butterbur is?

K:  I know (laugh)

S:  I don’t like to eat stewed butterbur.

K:  Hm…you…are…funny (laugh).  Yay! You certainly are a Kansai man!  You hate butterbur.

S:  That’s the only food I don’t want to eat.  I ate it as part of school lunch and it traumatized me.

K:  Then, next question.

Q:  What will you do if you become an invisible person.

S:  Well, let me see.  This one is hard.  Do I get any benefit being invisible?

K:  Of course you do (laugh).

S:  I can only think of pulling a prank.

K:  Prank?  On who?

S:  I’ll keep on tapping my friends on the shoulders, ton-ton-ton-ton (laugh)

K:  You’ll tap your friends on the shoulders ton-ton-ton?  You’re invisible and tap your friends on their shoulders ton-ton-ton (laugh).  Unbelievable.  You’re indeed a Kansai man!

The end.

Note:  Part 2 of the interview will be aired on Sept. 18.  I’ll be happy to translate the episode 2 when the online version comes out.