Team Japan

Translation of Press Conference Q&A with Daisuke Takahashi, Part 2

https://cantilovertranslations.tumblr.com/post/175712160043/press-conference-qa-with-daisuke-takahashi-part

In an earlier interview, you said ‘I have nothing to lose’ regarding your comeback, but I believe there is a risk for top skaters to retire and then come back because of the possible difference between the image that the audience had of your competitive skating compared to your skating now. How do you feel about that?

I’m sure that risk is there… yea… maybe I wasn’t thinking too much about those risks. (laughs) But with expression, I think that’s something that can grow regardless of age. Everyone has different preferences, and some people might think ‘I liked him better before’, and there’s nothing that can be done about that. If there are people who think, ‘Wow he skates more beautifully now than ever’, there might be newer fans who will come watch me. I think some older fans might leave and some newer fans might join. But this season is for me and my ego, and regardless of if I bother the people around me, this comeback is for me to think for myself… Like an imposition. (laughs) All I know is that even if I lose some parts of me, I will for sure gain some moving forward.

Part 1 for those that might have missed it, here.

I'm happy Wakababy is in fighting mode :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::bow:

Tho I wonder when would mid-season be? Before Nats? After Nats? I wants to see 3A ladies conquer the world!  

I guess she'd like to play it safe and see how the scoring goes during GP and maybe if she qualifies try the 3A at the final? Or keep it as a weapon for Nats bloodbath? Tho idk if it's wise to debut the 3A in that comp... :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

Tho I hope she's also working on her flip. If she wants to keep it in the SP the new goe might hit her more if she gets unclear edge (I'm wondering about Kaori's Lz too, I think the deduction is harsher now, right?)

Question: has Wakaba jumped 3Lz3Lo in competition before? If not, has she good chances for a clean combo? I know she's a powerful jumper but sometimes her -3T has been borderline UR..

Iirc Yuna Shiraiwa was thinking about 3Lz3Lo, too, right? I'd like to see her get one more GP assignment but I want the NHK host spot for Rika K.:13877886:  Why so many talented jpn ladies and not enough spots?

16 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Question: has Wakaba jumped 3Lz3Lo in competition before? If not, has she good chances for a clean combo? I know she's a powerful jumper but sometimes her -3T has been borderline UR..

Spoiler

about lutz/flip edges, yeah, its between -1 and -3 now iirc. kaori doesn't do a lutz in her sp because of the edge issue, and im hoping waka will replace her flip with a loop (finally), its barely any bv change

4 minutes ago, golden said:

Hide contents

about lutz/flip edges, yeah, its between -1 and -3 now iirc. kaori doesn't do a lutz in her sp because of the edge issue, and im hoping waka will replace her flip with a loop (finally), its barely any bv change

that's so gorgeous!:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Has anyone seen this? The reenactment scenes are pretty godly. Lol.

This actually has some pretty quality content, though. Here's a rundown of the gist of it for those need it:

Spoiler

- there used to be a kid in Takahashi's skating club back when he was a little boy that he never once beat

- by never once beat, I meant out of 10 competitions, he never won over this other kid. Not once.

- this kid was so incredibly talented, that wonderfully-centered and tight spin that you see him do in the vid? That was only after having started figure skating for 1(!) year.

- according to Takahashi, this kid was the sort that had no weak points at all and if he were to draw parallels between the current top 2 in the Japanese men's field, he'd say the kid was more the Hanyu type than the Uno one

- kid had it all, looks, personality, brains, etc.

- his name is Daisuke Yamaoka

- Yamaoka is now an employee at a chemical and synthetic fiber manufacturing company (the same one that sponsors Sara Takanashi, the champion ski jumper) and is currently based in Okayama

- he was absolutely in love with figure skating so when he was told he had to quit, he was shocked first then became depressed over the reality he had to face

- he had to stop because of financial reasons (his family could no longer afford it)

- he found a new passion in his later school days, though (table tennis, managed to go as far as participating in  int'l tournaments in China)

- asked if he still skates, he said he's given it up completely

- asked if he would still be skating if he could have continued, he said most likely yes

- asked if he could see himself medalling at the Olympics if life had taken a different trajectory he said no

- when asked why, he said that having seen what Takahashi had to go through and the grit that he had shown to reach the heights he did, he knew that despite his talent (had always known but actually seeing what Takahashi went through put things in a much clearer perspective, so he has no regrets whatsoever in having quit the sport), he would never have had what it really took on the inside to reach that level and for that, Takahashi has all his respect

:)

But man, those reenactment scenes sure are something else. >_<

:67573697::67573697:

LOL they even used Let it go as bgm :68468287:

I'm honestly surprised I haven't cringed that much (tho the first scene on ice was very cringey to me).

It makes you think about how many stars need to align to have a skater like Daisuke (or Yuzuru), and how many talents just won't ever get to flourish because of circumstances. And skating is really an expensive sport:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

Oh no, now I'm sad thinking about Jpn ladies and their GP assignments :13877886:

speaking of which (Daisuke T, not the Jpn ladies)

Spoiler

I thought it could be interesting for the new fans who are not familiar with him or those like me who have watched some of his program but not become too attached. Of course his fans can walk down memory lane:biggrin:

Skaters go through so many hardships, you can't help but admire them :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

ETA under spoiler because potential trigger

Spoiler

Now I'm even sadder, thinking about when Yuzu will r****** :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: halp

I hope that at least it wll be on his own terms :sadPooh:

SOS

I'm really not sure if this is the best place to ask for this but here I go anyway:

Once upon a time at that other forum someone shared a link that was an oldish video of Daisuke T skating (or possibly dancing??) with other male skaters (or dancers??) it was steamy, sensual, and artsy and I need to find it again! Can anyone help me out? The only other thing I remember from the performance is I think at the end everyone is rubbing Dice's face??

22 minutes ago, salty said:

SOS

I'm really not sure if this is the best place to ask for this but here I go anyway:

Once upon a time at that other forum someone shared a link that was an oldish video of Daisuke T skating (or possibly dancing??) with other male skaters (or dancers??) it was steamy, sensual, and artsy and I need to find it again! Can anyone help me out? The only other thing I remember from the performance is I think at the end everyone is rubbing Dice's face??

This sounds like "Experimentation" from dance show featuring skaters, Love On the Floor but I can't find video now... Or maybe remembering it wrong