Team Japan

57 minutes ago, enno0287 said:

I understand where you come from. But in my opinion it's more like his fans were taking his words too far. Daisuke's mentality is the kind that tends to retreat when he's challenged, and him saying he felt threatened back then didn't mean that he actually hated Yuzu or anything.

It's actually kind of the same with how Yuzu's fans reacted after Yuzu sort of "accused" Dennis Ten for hindering his practice session back then. Though I know that Dennis was at fault then, it was still not wise for Yuzu to say that in front of the media where anything he said could be blown out of proportion.

I don't know that I would personally equate these two situations. I don't have an opinion on Dai's motives and intentions, but I think that if Yuzu thought there was a pattern of someone trying to physically interfere with him during practice sessions and the way to quickly shut down that kind of behavior was to publicly address it, then I think he has a right to do that. At the time he said he reviewed the video evidence and believed it was purposeful, so it's not like he made the statement carelessly. I think on certain things, like his physical safety, he should be able to defend himself, whatever the fan reaction. 

On 7/3/2018 at 7:05 PM, Sammie said:

Canada recruiting now Patrick retired :xD: 

That would be so darn funny! 

13 hours ago, Sammie said:

Is TCC the main rink that every skater goes?  from learning choreo to summer training to getting new boots :68468287:

It's the new Canadian industry!

2 hours ago, katonice said:

Is that Yuzu and Shoma? 

1 hour ago, Pamigena said:

their names are in the tags, so probably yes

This is not very good pic because if you can't tell who they're supposed to be by just looking at them.

Oh well, we're so spoiled by those fan artists whose drawing skills are better than these mediocre artist whose style is like an old news paper cartoonist. Sorry but not sorry!! 

Edited:

48 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

This is not very good pic because if you can't tell who they're supposed to be by just looking at them.

Oh well, we're so spoiled by those fan artists whose drawing skills are better than these mediocre artist whose style is like an old news paper cartoonist. Sorry but not sorry!! 

I can tell. Drawing skills aren't as simple as 'the more realistic you draw, the better'. I'd say it's a bit going too far saying that an artist is mediocre because you don't like their style. c: 

9 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I can tell. Drawing skills aren't as simple as 'the more realistic you draw, the better'. I'd say it's a bit going too far saying that an artist is mediocre because you don't like their style. c: 

Sorry I shouldn't have said 'mediocre' just because I didn't like the way the artist  draw Daisuke, Yuzu and Shoma. I meant to say the artist didn't really capture the characters well enough to be able to recognise straight away. I didn't realise it was Daisuke to begin with... and I thought Yuzu and Shoma look rather like bears...so maybe I just don't like this particular style of drawing. idk maybe I'm so used to see anime drawings...:13877886:

3 時間前, katoniceさんが言いました:

Is that Yuzu and Shoma? 

Yeah, they are. ^^

2 時間前, BWOZWaltzさんが言いました:

1 時間前, BWOZWaltzさんが言いました:

Sorry I shouldn't have said 'mediocre' just because I didn't like the way the artist  draw Daisuke, Yuzu and Shoma. I meant to say the artist didn't really capture the characters well enough to be able to recognise straight away. I didn't realise it was Daisuke to begin with... and I thought Yuzu and Shoma look rather like bears...so maybe I just don't like this particular style of drawing. idk maybe I'm so used to see anime drawings...:13877886:

Hmmm, maybe it's the Western caricature style (which I'm guessing is what you don't appreciate) that makes it harder for you to discern the subjects but I could also tell right away who they were meant to be without the tags. All three of them. Takahashi and Hanyu I could tell from the faces (Hanyu's I find especially accurate, tbh) and Uno I could tell from the hair. I can't be absolutely certain but I also don't think @katonice was asking because she couldn't tell who they were. She could but because it's a different style, she just wanted to make sure, is the vibe I got. But, of course,  I could be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

This artist's style is very distinctive. It's very bold and captures the subjects' expressions quite well, I feel. And it's rather free of Japanese art-style influences, too, which I feel makes it very fresh. I'm able to tell who the artist is now even without seeing the username, which I can't always with Japanese artists, other than a few of them. Overall, while not a personal favorite* because of the harsher lines (which is not a flaw, just not a personal gravitation), I don't dislike it at all. :) Heck, I wish I could draw half as well. >.<

p/s: Even so, there's a particular piece drawn by this artist that is actually one of my favorite fanart of Hanyu. Gonna see if I can dig it up...

5 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Yeah, they are. ^^

Hmmm, maybe it's the caricature style (which I'm guessing is what you don't appreciate) that makes it harder for you to discern the subjects but I could also tell right away who they were meant to be without the tags. All three of them. Takahashi and Hanyu I could tell from the faces, and Uno I could tell from the hair. I can't be absolutely certain but I also don't think @katonice was asking because she couldn't tell who they were. She could but because it's a different style, she just wanted to make sure, is the vibe I got. But, of course,  I could be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

This artist's style is very distinctive. It's very bold and captures the subjects expressions quite well, I feel. And it's rather free of Japanese art-style influences, too, which I feel makes it very fresh. I'm able to tell who the artist is now even without seeing the username, which I can't always with Japanese artists, other than a few of them. Overall, while not a personal favorite because if its harsher lines (which is not a flaw, just not a personal gravitation), I don't dislike it at all. :)

I have thought about why I instantly disliked the picture and tried to find a possible answer.

I think the caricature style of this picture reminded me of the drawings which typically put on old newspaper in the west in which Asian faces are drawn with distinctive slant eyes. Regardless the artist's intention, I almost felt the underlying mockery somehow. That's an reaction not very fair for the artist but nb that's something I couldn't get over to appreciate this picture. Gosh I feel bad now...

My main discomfort with the doodles is because of how some skaters are repeatedly drawn to look very generically "Asian." I know that's just something I'm sensitive to but it is still hard to get around.

I do like other drawings which actually makes me more annoyed/confused about the Asian caricature shortcuts... seems to show that they are really not necessary yet the artist keeps choosing to use them.

43 分, BWOZWaltzさんが言いました:

I have thought about why I instantly disliked the picture and tried to find a possible answer.

I think the caricature style of this picture reminded me of the drawings which typically put on old newspaper in the west in which Asian faces are drawn with distinctive slant eyes. Regardless the artist's intention, I almost felt the underlying mockery somehow. That's an reaction not very fair for the artist but nb that's something I couldn't get over to appreciate this picture. Gosh I feel bad now...

41 分, LadySnowbloodさんが言いました:

My main discomfort with the doodles is because of how some skaters are repeatedly drawn to look very generically "Asian." I know that's just something I'm sensitive to but it is still hard to get around.

I do like other drawings which actually makes me more annoyed/confused about the Asian caricature shortcuts... seems to show that they are really not necessary yet the artist keeps choosing to use them.

@BWOZWaltz

Ah, but your emotional reaction isn't your fault. Still, I think the artist isn't being stereotypical. Hanyu actually has very classically Oriental features (I know some here don't appreciate that term but I can't think of anything more accurate so I hope you all will let this slide in the interest of objectivity) so it stands to reason he will look that way based on this artist's style and perspective. I might have felt the same way you and @LadySnowblood do if it weren't for the respect and admiration for Hanyu one can feel oozing out through their other renderings of him.

Takahashi, with his deep set features, doesn't have a typical Oriental face, so to speak, and their sketch of him here reflects that properly. To my eyes, anyway. They still haven't gotten the hang of Uno yet but I think they'll get  there with enough practice. So I don't think this particular artist, at least, garners the emotional reaction you have towards other more bláse western art style. But it's understandable if this particular style has been ruined for you by less sensitive artists in the past. So you don't need to feel bad about how you feel, I don't think. If there's one thing i feel you should recognize though, is that this artist most certainly isnt mediocre. ^.~

Interesting discussion. It has made me relook at most of this artist' recent drawings to try and pinpoint their skills or lack thereof. I think they constantly show a desire to make a character recognizable through the use of few, marked features instead or pursuing realism. The good thing about this is that it comes across as a fresh, comical style. Also, facial expressions are highlighted to show the personality of the character. The bad thing that might happen is that some facial traits (ex: eyes) might be overly simplified to some, ethnical traits included. Thus the "misunderstanding".

Okay, so I may have gotten my artists mixed up and the one piece  I like a lot could be from a different artist with a bit of a similar style to this (tho it's this artist i'm more familiar with and associate bolder lines and western aesthetics to in the world of Hanyu fanart). I can't seem to find it again.

12 分, Murieleirumさんが言いました:

Interesting discussion. It has made me relook at most of this artist' recent drawings to try and pinpoint their skills or lack thereof. I think they constantly show a desire to make a character recognizable through the use of few, marked features instead or pursuing realism. The good thing about this is that it comes across as a fresh, comical style. Also, facial expressions are highlighted to show the personality of the character. The bad thing that might happen is that some facial traits (ex: eyes) might be overly simplified to some, ethnical traits included. Thus the "misunderstanding".

Looking through this artist's Tumblr and Instagram again tho, it strikes me again how pleasing their renditions of SEIMEI actually are, despite the harder art-style. And everything else looks nice and respectful to the subjects to me, even while remaining true to their individual ethnic features. It's supposed to look simplistic, like you said, but on closer study, I find that it really isn't. There's actually a lot of fine details in quite a few of their other pieces, which is what made me think the expressions are captured very well by this artist. The more I look at this artist's style, the more I appreciate it, even if it isn't my aesthetic.

11 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If there's one thing i feel you should recognize though, is that this artist most certainly isnt mediocre. ^.~

I also think I should learn a bit more English! Probably my lack of understanding of the word mediocre caused this. I mean the technique of the artist that I can see is good. I just found Takahashi's expression isn't really showing the Takahasiness that I recognise. The essence of the character should still come through whatever the style or technique used in the drawings and I didn't get that from this picture. Tbh, when I saw Takahashi's expression (top part of his face) of this picture, I've mistaken him as Nathan Chen...so I was that much confused :scratch3:

It's interesting to know how others see things. Certainly I've learned a bit more about art. 

Thanks @¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I can't properly quote your name...:13877886:) for this:

p/s: Even so, there's a particular piece drawn by this artist that is actually one of my favorite fanart of Hanyu. Gonna see if I can dig it up...

Yes. Please find the piece.