Team Japan

Just now, Danibellerika said:

They aren't the only ones. I saw multiple guys skating with them at the Olympics.  It is a nice touch I think.  

Yes. I noticed too but forgot who they were and only name skaters I know :68468287: 

I believe it was stated somewhere that the material is different and is more durable type that is used for race cars even (think it was linked with some post with Misha Ge)? So it's no surprise that many guys are jumping on the bandwagon.

20 minutes ago, Xen said:

I believe it was stated somewhere that the material is different and is more durable type that is used for race cars even (think it was linked with some post with Misha Ge)? So it's no surprise that many guys are jumping on the bandwagon.

Specifically for black blades or coloured blades in general?

On 7/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, hoodie axel said:

...He intends on studying Nathan Chen's jumps.

Mishin once said that the whole world will be studying Nathan's jumps. He also praised Yuzu for good jumping techniques then went on and said that Yuzu rotates slower immediately after taking off into the air and then faster towards the end.

On the other hand, Nathan rotates fast the moment he takes off into the air, which allows stability. 

1 minute ago, Huiqi said:

On the other hand, Nathan rotates fast the moment he takes off into the air, which allows stability. 

Well, not yet that's for sure. And something about that air-position is straight-up displeasing. Quantity, not quality, there. I'd rather study Yuzuru or Boyang's jumps, if I were skating.

11 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Well, not yet that's for sure. And something about that air-position is straight-up displeasing. Quantity, not quality, there. I'd rather study Yuzuru or Boyang's jumps, if I were skating.

I think Mishin is merely stating his observations. Nathan's fast rotations is his key to landing consistent quads- he does not have to go for huge horizontal speed and superb height (like Yuzu) to achieve the required no. of rotations, hence the stability.

(And we know that judges reward consistency with high GOE)

1 hour ago, Huiqi said:

I think Mishin is merely stating his observations. Nathan's fast rotations is his key to landing consistent quads- he does not have to go for huge horizontal speed and superb height (like Yuzu) to achieve the required no. of rotations, hence the stability.

This is true. I remember during practice at worlds in Helsinki, I watched Boyang and Nate jumping quads lutzes in the same spot one after the other and the quality is night and day.  Nate's jumps will get you there (like a reliable car, your Civic, but it's not the type to turn heads), but Boyang's had a WOW factor (like a sports car that may end up getting repairs more often, but when it's working well then boy can it perform!). I only feel that way about Boyang's lutz though. In general I prefer Yuzuru for every other jump since he has pretty and smooth run-outs, AND prettier in-air position (I don't love Boyang's head and I'm also not crazy about Nate's spatula hands).  And at the end of the day, more people can afford that reliable civic than that sports car.  

On the topic of jumps, posting this here:  Yuzu is definitely jump trajectory 1 (even is delayed rotation 4Lz is closer to 1). Most skaters aren't able to always hit that type of trajectory. Nate's btw, has more height than distance, so he forms a very "peaky" trajectory.  As for why study Nate's technique, well Danibellerika already said it. Reliable, achievable, at least easier than trying to mimick Yuzu. 

3 hours ago, Huiqi said:

Sure, but at Daisuke's age, how fast can he really rotate?

2 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Sure, but at Daisuke's age, how fast can he really rotate?

Same twitter from the one I posted above, nate's method may also be more energy efficient- you don't need 70 cm to jump quads, you can do it with around 60 if you can get into rotation and rotate fast enough. So that's probably more the key for Daisuke, and mind you, he's pretty small. 

Ah, well, we'll see. I remember he tried to do a 4F in the 2010W LP, and had a downgraded attempt (with a two foot). I don't think he'll be able to rotate any faster than that at this age, and he already didn't have HUGE height or anything.

He MIGHT PR more now, I guess. His 4Ts were done with 90 degree, I've heard, and people usually do more than that. Don't remember the 4F attempt at all apart from what happened.

21 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

I don't think he'll be able to rotate any faster than that at this age, and he already didn't have HUGE height or anything.

He didn't. They were nice enough jumps but sort of average. He had trouble, especially towards the (first) ending of his career with his quads. He was prone to URs; the rotation wasn't clearly finished in the air. His 3A is very nice but he telegraphed it. He did say that his jumps are almost better now than they were during the second half of his career but that isn't saying much (apart from sounding good). He has time but at 32 ... it's actually going to be interesting to observe. Can a person at that age reconstruct their jumps and to what extent. Absorbing new techniques is way easier said than done. I don't think triples are an issue at all (though we'll have to wait and see what they look like ie entry, exits etc due to new rules) but quads? It doesn't depend on just that, it depends on his initial ability too and I never thought of him as a jumper in the first place. I do think two different quads are a tall order. I know he wants them, never mind the whole catch up to the other two guys, but if he can get the T back and actually rotate it, then it'll already be a massive achievement.