Team Japan

I am dipping in and out according to wi fi connections and am getting whiplash with retirements/ returns/ what we thought were retirements butnow might not be (looking at KR). Astonished that DT is returning in the season that Machida retires from pro skating.  His knee has to be the big concern and his press con sounds quite ambitious - but only for a year?  Sounds absurd to me to put oneself through all that after what to me sounded like an emphatic total withdrawal from skating 3/4 years ago, just for one season ?  Makes no sense.

I hope the judges do their work properly, the fans behave with decorum (on all sides) and that Daisuke does himself justice in this comeback.  I hope it isn’t a retread of Pluschenko at Sochi. I’m not expecting all those hopes to come about but one has to be positive.

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yes, well. 

This is why the GPs are going to be so important. If I remember well, Kazuki's PCS at Worlds was just below 80 which is essentially a huge issue. He was a new name but it won't rise even if he improves and with this 5th place; he needs more. So these two GPs are going to be really important for him to get a few more points there before he's facing Japanese judges. I think Dai won't go below Chiddy's PCS no matter what he does, so that's a pretty big difference even if Kazuki gets the second quad by then. I don't know though if JSF will bother with giving him a push, especially now. As we've seen with the ladies, if they don't want to, they won't. 

Dai is saying he wants two kinds of quads btw. But with the new SOV, just the one quad might be enough to get that third spot, depending on the judging. 

Well... Sigh. :facepalm: I hope Kazuki puts it all out during his GPs. He has talent, and it showed at worlds, so usually I wouldn't be worried, but with the current situation...

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I am dipping in and out according to wi fi connections and am getting whiplash with retirements/ returns/ what we thought were retirements butnow might not be (looking at KR). Astonished that DT is returning in the season that Machida retires from pro skating.  His knee has to be the big concern and his press con sounds quite ambitious - but only for a year?  Sounds absurd to me to put oneself through all that after what to me sounded like an emphatic total withdrawal from skating 3/4 years ago, just for one season ?  Makes no sense.

I hope the judges do their work properly, the fans behave with decorum (on all sides) and that Daisuke does himself justice in this comeback.  I hope it isn’t a retread of Pluschenko at Sochi. I’m not expecting all those hopes to come about but one has to be positive.

Oh I didn't know he wants to come back for only one season. That makes sense actually since Worlds is in Japan and the regret he has was not being able to go to Worlds in 2014 when it was last in Japan. I still don't think, unless he's much further along on training and kept it quiet this whole time, that he'll regain back in form so quickly to be able to make the World team. Sure the Japanese men field is not as crazy deep as during the height of Dai's competitive career, but it wasn't like before where there's only 1 sure-fire placement (ironically it was Daisuke). 2nd and 3rd were up for grabs (which Yuzu usually grabbed). Now days, 1st and 2nd Japanese men are locked down. Keiji has benefited from a weaker field this last 2 years, but Tomono had a great Worlds outing and can compete. I don't think JSF is just going to name Daisuke without a good showing at Nationals

4 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yuzuru lost the free. They were IIRC about tied on the TES and Dai had a good 5+ points on the PCS. But altogether, due to the big advantage from the SP, Yuzuru managed to win by maybe 5 points or so. I don't remember the exact numbers right now. 

In the SP Dai also had a slight PCS advantage but Yuzuru got him on the TES something awful IIRC. 

__

ETA ok to add as I dug it up:

2012 Protocols - SP, FS

So yes, that TES difference was over 10 points in the SP.

But Dai's PCS was 96 then, and even the following year when he was messy, it only went down slightly, it was 94.70, I was curious so I checked. His international was lower but inflation ... so yes, I don't expect anything under 90 for Dai. 

Is that when the audience booed Yuzuru for beating Dai and inspired a legion of Hanyu Antis that persist to this day?

:3:

13 hours ago, kaeryth said:

.. okay, so while I said I conveniently blocked this incident from my memory it's still there. The antis used a 'blood donation drive' excuse and asked people for signature stating it's for supporting the drive (remember that Yuzu supported Red Cross) but it was quickly found out that it was actually a petition to remove Yuzu from the world team because he didn't compete in Nationals.

This was recent! This after Yuzu's WR setting Chopin and Semei? What are they CRAZY?

Is this in Japan? What the? okay that's next level crazy. Daisuke at the time had been retired for 2 years. Why are they messing with their own Olympic and World champion.

I posted this on another thread, but most of the Dai/Yuzu rivalry comments seem to be on this thread so I'll post it here.

Speaking of Daisuke returning to competitive skating, I saw a few people complaining on Tumblr about Hanyu anti coming out in force, coincidently/or not to Daisuke's returning announcement.

I've always been under the impression, based on GS, that a lot of Hanyu Anti's were originally Daisuke fans and then transferred their devotion to Shoma. Is that actually the case or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

9 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

This was recent! This after Yuzu's WR setting Chopin and Semei? What are they CRAZY?

Is this in Japan? What the? okay that's next level crazy. Daisuke at the time had been retired for 2 years. Why are they messing with their own Olympic and World champion.

Japanese Nationals 2017. For the first time in his career he withdrew from competition due to flu and pharyngitis. He was, however, still chosen to represent Japan at 4CC in Pyeongchang and Worlds in Helsinki due to the rules that were already stated several posts before this. Also, it was a weak men's field at this point with only Shoma as the real contender and Mura/Keiji battling for third otherwise I bet he would have competed, sick or not, if the field was stacked like in the past (when you had Dai, Taka, Machi, Nobu, Mura all competing).

5 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Japanese Nationals 2017. For the first time in his career he withdrew from competition due to flu and pharyngitis. He was, however, still chosen to represent Japan at 4CC in Pyeongchang and Worlds in Helsinki due to the rules that were already stated several posts before this. Also, it was a weak men's field at this point with only Shoma as the real contender and Mura/Keiji battling for third otherwise I bet he would have competed, sick or not, if the field was stacked like in the past (when you had Dai, Taka, Machi, Nobu, Mura all competing).

This reminds me of all the speculating in GS about Yuzu not being selected to the Olympics due to his injury. Who did they THINK JSF was going to send? Delusional antis are delusional. How quickly they will change their tune if their favorite ever miss out on their qualifying event due to injury or illness.

IMHO, it will be interesting to see Mr Takahashi in the mix. I think he will be another skater who brings a more, shall we say, artistic approach to a program. As if to say, “Look! Figure skating is about THIS, too!” (That being said, yes I understand he has to be technically proficient as well.) 

He can freshen up Cyber Swan and I’d be happy. Lol

2 hours ago, asiacheetah said:

This reminds me of all the speculating in GS about Yuzu not being selected to the Olympics due to his injury. Who did they THINK JSF was going to send? Delusional antis are delusional. How quickly they will change their tune if their favorite ever miss out on their qualifying event due to injury or illness.

The only way Yuzu wasn't going to be a shoe in for the Olympics team was if he announced he really wasn't human... and even then, JFS would have probably pointed out that alienness is not actually against the rules.

If Daisuke gets back all his triples (by the videos he seems to have recovered his 3A!) and does well in his competitions, including Nationals, I don't know why he shouldn't get high PCS, at least in the categories he seems to excel at (Performance, Interpretation and possibly Composition). And if he manages to podium at Nationals, all the better because after 4 years that would be a great feat. However, any speculation or fears he'll end up taking over some young skater's spot is a bit premature, especially since Dai has said he doesn't intend to do so and is not at this point planning to compete internationally. This is for him, a wish to make peace with the way he had to end his career due to injury. If things change later, we'll see. And I'm looking forward to seeing him!

On another note, Shun Sato landing that 3A in his SP! And then an unclear edge on his 3Lz... :laughing:

54 minutes ago, xeyra said:

at least in the categories he seems to excel at (Performance, Interpretation and possibly Composition).

Haven't you heard? Corridor PCS judging is now a thing approved by ISU xD So he should also get all the 9's on SS and TR (according to some)

41 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Haven't you heard? Corridor PCS judging is now a thing approved by ISU xD So he should also get all the 9's on SS and TR (according to some)

Well yeah that's the unfortunate truth about PCS. For everyone. 

Daisuke like any other once retired skater has the full right to try to make a comeback even to the highest international level. No matter his age or how he might change the men´s field in Japan. He will start from the beginning, competes first at regional competitions and tries to qualify for Japan Nats.

For me it is far too early and unfair to talk about him getting scores by reputation at this point. I´ll see when he has competed and his scores are out.

I think this is a brave decision from him. He knows it is not easy to reach the top and still he wants to get back competing at least for a year for personal reasons.

What comes to this Anti-discussion, it is really confusing. Each skater has their own Antis, also Dai and Shoma.