Team Japan

Just now, Moria Polonius said:

Ahem, and Yuzu fans too.

Yuzuru fans can't stop Daisuke fans doing whatever they like. They can have a little party and yell radioactive boy at Yuzuru like the good old times. 

The news about Daisuke is total shock to me. It's been 4 years and also he's over 30 now. Figure skating has advanced so much since and now he's decided to come back is truly something else.

I wonder if Daisuke goes to NHK, Shoma will still win but then Daisuke could be on podium as well? WTH. This is interesting.

I hope Daisuke brings some beautiful very mature program to the season as that is what I'd expect to see from him as I think technical side of his skating is not up to date in terms of quad.

ETA: Daisuke will be on TV - Fuji TV channel S-PARK (23:15 - 24:35 JST)

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/s-park/index.html

22 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Everyone's super happy about Daisuke but I am so not!

Kazuki, Keiji both but Kazuki especially is young and showing lots of progress. But now what? With Nagoya behind him Dai's PCS, no matter what he does, will range from Chiddy's to Zu's, somewhere there about. It's going to be such a mess.

Not to mention the NHK host spot, if it really goes to Dai and at this point, I expect it to. 

Yata, nothing has happened yet, what's the use of assuming unfairness and getting worked up when none of them have put a foot on competive ice yet and no judges have given a score? Just wait with your anger a bit until there's something substantial to be angry about?

Now, I hate to be raining on the parade, but I fear Daisuke might get disappointed in his comeback. He's 32, and you guys say it's not too old. But he's been away from competition for 4 years, and the amount of trainining he'll have to do in order to become competitive will be MUCH greater than when he was 22 or even 28. I'm not even sure it'll be doable. The PCS won't carry him if the tech isn't there, and I fear it might not be. Even if he gets overgenerous scores domestically, he won't get them unternationally - see what happened to Patrick. The quad revolution has happened - and even at Japanese Nats it might prove too hard for him to get over the guys with higher tech content, and I'm not just thinking Yuzu and Shoma here.  I think  the best Daisuke can achieve on the Worlds level is top 10 - and even that's uncertain, to be honest. Even accounting for new rules.  I hope Daisuke realizes that and is fine with that. Then it'd be perfect because Daisuke is a vety enjoyable skater to watch indeed.

That said... Yeah, c'mon Nobu, try!

1 minute ago, Moria Polonius said:

Yata, nothing has happened yet, what's the use of assuming unfairness and getting worked up when none of them have put a foot on competive ice yet and no judges have given a score? Just wait with your anger a bit until there's something substantial to be angry about?

What gives you the idea that I'm angry? Please don't assign emotions to me, thanks.

I have the right to read the situation as I see it just as much as you do. This is mine. Don't agree? All good. We'll live.

6 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

What gives you the idea that I'm angry? Please don't assign emotions to me, thanks.

I have the right to read the situation as I see it just as much as you do. This is mine. Don't agree? All good. We'll live.

Uhhh, you just give an impression of being angry. Sorry. My bad.

18 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Now, I hate to be raining on the parade, but I fear Daisuke might get disappointed in his comeback. He's 32, and you guys say it's not too old. But he's been away from competition for 4 years, and the amount of trainining he'll have to do in order to become competitive will be MUCH greater than when he was 22 or even 28. I'm not even sure it'll be doable. The PCS won't carry him if the tech isn't there, and I fear it might not be. Even if he gets overgenerous scores domestically, he won't get them unternationally - see what happened to Patrick. The quad revolution has happened - and even at Japanese Nats it might prove too hard for him to get over the guys with higher tech content, and I'm not just thinking Yuzu and Shoma here.  I think  the best Daisuke can achieve on the Worlds level is top 10 - and even that's uncertain, to be honest. Even accounting for new rules.  I hope Daisuke realizes that and is fine with that. Then it'd be perfect because Daisuke is a vety enjoyable skater to watch indeed.

That said... Yeah, c'mon Nobu, try!

Daisuke receiving Patrick-like scores is exactly what I'd like to not see.

38 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yuzuru fans can't stop Daisuke fans doing whatever they like. They can have a little party and yell radioactive boy at Yuzuru like the good old times. 

:c I didn't mention it, but these are exactly my fears. That's why I'm not so excited. But times are different. Yuzuru has a stronger fanbase now, I believe it won't be the same. 

From one point of view I am happy that a very good perfomer and good skater like Daisuke want to come back.

From another point of view I am a little disappointed for the new emerging skaters, that will risk to suffer for this. And frankly I do not understand very well his decision: maybe Japan has not a strong third competitor - yet - but the first two ones are who they are, aka the best in the world. And i did not understand also the motivation coming to him from Nats 2017 he has mentioned: maybe for a problem of nuance in the translation? Can someone explain me better or it's just a way to say ?

Moreover: it has been not possible really to catch up for Patrick with superior SS, superior Fed (meaning: power), less time break, younger age. So which are his probabilities also with high PCS and with the new rules to be among the top five ?

9 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Uhhh, you just give an impression of being angry. Sorry. My bad.

No worries. I'm not gushing with joy but that doesn't mean I'm angry.

As far as I see it we already have a nice example of something like this in Carolina Kostner. Dai also has all the backing he needs so as far as I am concerned, drawing parallels is possible. Think how even when she's a mess, she scores high (Europeans). We'll see but I am not optimistic. 

7 minutes ago, fireovertheice said:

Moreover: it has been not possible really to catch up for Patrick with superior SS, superior Fed (meaning: power), less time break, younger age. So which are his probabilities also with high PCS and with the new rules to be among the top five ?

I don't think I have any real fear that he will be knocking people off the podium... On an international stage. Yet. If he pulls out a quad, it could be, and I'm not here for it unless deserved, but his age is a factor here.

Nationally... Not looking forward to it.