Team Japan

7 minutes ago, anirien said:

This is definitely the wildest one I can remember. I think this is the most surprising figure skating news I've heard since Machida randomly retiring. (Though some of the coaching changes this off season!)

Will he have to go through Regionals or can he get some kind of bye? (That NHK TBD spot is 100% for him.)

I think he will need to go through the entire set of regionals/sectionals competitions to reach Nationals. He's been away for quite a while. Unless he only intends to compete at the GP. 

But if he wants to go to Worlds in Japan he definitely needs to go to Nationals. 

This is like wow. I wonder if he'll do a Challenger like Asian Open Trophy. And who will be his coach?? So many questions!! 

1 minute ago, anirien said:

I think the rule change might have had something to do with it for Dai, but tbh, it might be more that he misses competition and isn't satisfied with how his competitive career ended, especially his last Nationals. The Japanese Men's field is a little sparse right now if you compare it to when Dai was at his peak and you also had Nobu, Kozuka, Yuzu, Mura, Machida all competing in that era. Whereas now it's Yuzu and Shoma are the two solid stars and everyone else it's kind of tbd. There's Keiji, but he hasn't been reliable internationally and Kazuki, as the most prominent up and comer. But comparatively the field isn't as competitive as it once was, or is in on the Ladies' side right now.

Agree! With the rule change and the disparity between Yuzu/Shoma vs the rest of the JPN men's field this would actually be a good time to have a comeback.

Just now, katonice said:

I think he will need to go through the entire set of regionals/sectionals competitions to reach Nationals. He's been away for quite a while. Unless he only intends to compete at the GP. 

But if he wants to go to Worlds in Japan he definitely needs to go to Nationals. 

This is like wow. I wonder if he'll do a Challenger like Asian Open Trophy. And who will be his coach?? So many questions!! 

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. Like, I feel like JSF will want him at NHK, so does he do that and Sectionals/Regionals?

Re: his coach. Hopefully not Morovoz...

1 minute ago, kaeryth said:

Agree! With the rule change and the disparity between Yuzu/Shoma vs the rest of the JPN men's field this would actually be a good time to have a comeback.

that's true after Yuzu / Shoma, there's quite the dip although I do wonder if this will impede the development of some of younger male skaters... But too early to tell, I'm just so excited to see Dai compete again. He was one of my faves pre Yuzu 

13 minutes ago, anirien said:

This is definitely the wildest one I can remember. I think this is the most surprising figure skating news I've heard since Machida randomly retiring. (Though some of the coaching changes this off season!)

Will he have to go through Regionals or can he get some kind of bye? (That NHK TBD spot is 100% for him.)

I dunno how Nationals will work but if you retire in the top ten or something, don't you get two guaranteed GP spots for one comeback year? Wasn't there something like that?

Just now, anirien said:

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. Like, I feel like JSF will want him at NHK, so does he do that and Sectionals/Regionals?

When it comes to extra slots available at GP assignments, the hosting federation can invite whoever they wish, so for Daisuke to compete at NHK he would just need to be invited, not have to work his way through sectionals and regionals. However, if he wanted to go to Worlds or 4CC, he'd need to compete at nationals and to do that he'd need to go through sectionals and regionals. I now feel bad for the 15 year olds who'll show up and have an Olympic medalist as their competition. 

Just now, LucyH said:

that's true after Yuzu / Shoma, there's quite the dip although I do wonder if this will impede the development of some of younger male skaters... But too early to tell, I'm just so excited to see Dai compete again. He was one of my faves pre Yuzu 

Same. I really started to like Kazuki Tomono this season, so my feelings are a bit mixed on it, but tbh, who knows what kind of tech content he'll be able to put out and who knows how that will stack up under the new judging system. I doubt he'll be super competitive against the top names in the sport, but I could see him making the World team, possibly. It's certainly going to make the other Japanese men have to step it up. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. (Tbh I'm just hoping he doesn't get badly injured again.)

25 minutes ago, katonice said:

So if Dai really does go to NHK, at least we will now know part of the reason why Yuzu didn't go there.

If he does, he'll be competing against Shoma... he wouldn't be up against Yuzu till the GPF at the possible earliest, right?

1 minute ago, anirien said:

Re: his coach. Hopefully not Morovoz...

If the next announcement is that he's off to Canada, I'll know we're definitely now in Oz.

2 minutes ago, ClarissaH said:

When it comes to extra slots available at GP assignments, the hosting federation can invite whoever they wish, so for Daisuke to compete at NHK he would just need to be invited, not have to work his way through sectionals and regionals. However, if he wanted to go to Worlds or 4CC, he'd need to compete at nationals and to do that he'd need to go through sectionals and regionals. I now feel bad for the 15 year olds who'll show up and have an Olympic medalist as their competition. 

Given his status in Japan I'm sure they will be freaking out with happiness just to be on the same ice with him.

1 minute ago, TallyT said:

If he does, he'll be competing against Shoma... he wouldn't be up against Yuzu till the GPF at the possible earliest, right?

That wouldn't even be a possible earliest. It looks like Dai would only have one GP assignment and it's pretty much impossible to qualify for the GPF with one assignment, regardless of how well you do, so that's not even a possibility. The earliest case would be at Nationals, contingent on if Daisuke wishes to, but based on his announcement that was put out announcing his unretirement it seems like he'll compete in whatever he can. 

4 minutes ago, TallyT said:

He'll only get one spot (NHK)... and NHK field is not really deep besides Shoma... possible Aliev and Zhou but those 2 shouldn't be able to score better PCS than Dai.. TES is still a big question mark though. Wasn't Dai at Mishin's camp recently?

I knew I'd read the comeback rule recently. From Alice's Tumblr (the-real-xmonster):

The “Come-back” (official ISU terminology, I didn’t make it up)

Skaters who have previously been seeded, i.e., those who have placed 1-6 at a WC within the last 10 years, and have skipped the last one or more seasons, can be given priority consideration and virtually guaranteed 2 GP events. However, in order for this “come-back” to go into effect, the skater must, first, explicitly commit to the ISU that they will take part in their assigned GPs, and such come-back treatment is allowed only once in a skater’s career.