Team Japan

OMG I just came here to post about Dai's return!! I CANNOT believe it... WOW - I love his skating. I wonder how he will fare, he's been out of the competitive scene for 4 years...What's next Nobu? 

17 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Wow, this is the wildest off season ever. I say that in my vast experience of having experienced two. But I still think I may be right.

This is definitely the wildest one I can remember. I think this is the most surprising figure skating news I've heard since Machida randomly retiring. (Though some of the coaching changes this off season!)

Will he have to go through Regionals or can he get some kind of bye? (That NHK TBD spot is 100% for him.)

Woa..That's unexpected..

Guys, do you think there will be more skater unretiring? Do u think one of the reason daisuke comeback is because the rules changing? 

Now I'm curious how judges will score the old skaters vs young skaters 

9 minutes ago, Yuazz said:

Woa..That's unexpected..

Guys, do you think there will be more skater unretiring? Do u think one of the reason daisuke comeback is because the rules changing? 

Now I'm curious how judges will score the old skaters vs young skaters 

I think the rule change might have had something to do with it for Dai, but tbh, it might be more that he misses competition and isn't satisfied with how his competitive career ended, especially his last Nationals. The Japanese Men's field is a little sparse right now if you compare it to when Dai was at his peak and you also had Nobu, Kozuka, Yuzu, Mura, Machida all competing in that era. Whereas now it's Yuzu and Shoma are the two solid stars and everyone else it's kind of tbd. There's Keiji, but he hasn't been reliable internationally and Kazuki, as the most prominent up and comer. But comparatively the field isn't as competitive as it once was, or is in on the Ladies' side right now.

I don't think we'll get many skaters who've been retired a while coming back. More ones taking some time off now who might come back in a season or two.