Team Japan

5 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Hide contents

Tbvh it confuses me. Especially since they are figure skaters themselves, they should be even more aware then any of us are the differences between Yuzu's and Shoma's skating techniques and quality. I don't see how there is much overlap between them as figure skaters.... 

Spoiler

yes but jumps are not the only thing that matters in FS and Shoma has strengths in other areas. Even if his skating doesn't appeal to you, surely you can recognise elements of his skating that others might enjoy? Shoma's jumps have technical problems and can lack quality but it's not as if everything he does lacks quality and he's just fluking his way to silver medals. I have skaters I don't particularly enjoy but I wouldn't act as if people were wrong for liking them. I might not get the appeal but different people like different things. 

really I think personality is a big factor in likability too. Both Yuzuru and Shoma are nice to the people around them, very hard working, polite and kind. That tends to count.

21 minutes ago, CupidsBow said:

Reveal hidden contents

yes but jumps are not the only thing that matters in FS and Shoma has strengths in other areas. Even if his skating doesn't appeal to you, surely you can recognise elements of his skating that others might enjoy? Shoma's jumps have technical problems and can lack quality but it's not as if everything he does lacks quality and he's just fluking his way to silver medals. I have skaters I don't particularly enjoy but I wouldn't act as if people were wrong for liking them. I might not get the appeal but different people like different things. 

really I think personality is a big factor in likability too. Both Yuzuru and Shoma are nice to the people around them, very hard working, polite and kind. That tends to count.

Spoiler

I completely agree that preference for skaters is a personal thing. And there are elements of Shomas skating that I enjoy watching. My point was never about not understanding how people could like Shoma, my point was about figure skaters liking BOTH Shoma and Yuzu. 

You see, I don't personally see much similarity in Shoma's and Yuzu's skating, hence why I've always been slightly perplexed by figure skaters who like both. (though yes the jumps thing was a part of it). And I specifically mention competitive figure skaters (rather than just regular people) because they, I believe, see much more in a performance then any of us do, as figure skaters themselves. 

But yeah. I definitely see your point about the personalities thing. :)

Haha maybe those figure skaters just like both for their individual differences :)

40 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:
  Hide contents

I completely agree that preference for skaters is a personal thing. And there are elements of Shomas skating that I enjoy watching. My point was never about not understanding how people could like Shoma, my point was about figure skaters liking BOTH Shoma and Yuzu. 

You see, I don't personally see much similarity in Shoma's and Yuzu's skating, hence why I've always been slightly perplexed by figure skaters who like both. (though yes the jumps thing was a part of it). And I specifically mention competitive figure skaters (rather than just regular people) because they, I believe, see much more in a performance then any of us do, as figure skaters themselves. 

But yeah. I definitely see your point about the personalities thing. :)

Haha maybe those figure skaters just like both for their individual differences :)

Spoiler

I like both Yuzuru and Shoma. I'm not a skater but, uh, similarity has nothing to do with it. 'good' or 'enjoyable' doesn't have only one definition. If everyone skated the same, the sport would be boring. 

Shoma has that way he moves with variety between sharp, sweeping motions and gentle little details that can be very dramatic and bold and interesting to watch. I like his steps, his spins have improved a lot. I like the packaging and the delivery. Admittedly I don't think his programs last season were the greatest to judge him on but even Winter had some great moments. I don't watch Shoma wishing he was Yuzuru, and I don't watch Yuzuru wishing he would make more like Shoma. Yuzuru skates fluidly with intricate, nuances motions that flow out of him as if it's as natural as breathing. I guess they have similarity in that they are both musical, but the way they express it is very different. Different isn't bad. Shoma might not be your cup of tea but it is possible to recognise his technical flaws but still appreciate his skating, and admire/enjoy Yuzuru's strong technical and artistic skating without thinking they are similar in any way. They're not.

Do you like salty food? Do you like sweet food? They don't taste anything alike but you can enjoy both! It's the same here. 

10 hours ago, CupidsBow said:
  Hide contents

I like both Yuzuru and Shoma. I'm not a skater but, uh, similarity has nothing to do with it. 'good' or 'enjoyable' doesn't have only one definition. If everyone skated the same, the sport would be boring. 

Shoma has that way he moves with variety between sharp, sweeping motions and gentle little details that can be very dramatic and bold and interesting to watch. I like his steps, his spins have improved a lot. I like the packaging and the delivery. Admittedly I don't think his programs last season were the greatest to judge him on but even Winter had some great moments. I don't watch Shoma wishing he was Yuzuru, and I don't watch Yuzuru wishing he would make more like Shoma. Yuzuru skates fluidly with intricate, nuances motions that flow out of him as if it's as natural as breathing. I guess they have similarity in that they are both musical, but the way they express it is very different. Different isn't bad. Shoma might not be your cup of tea but it is possible to recognise his technical flaws but still appreciate his skating, and admire/enjoy Yuzuru's strong technical and artistic skating without thinking they are similar in any way. They're not.

Do you like salty food? Do you like sweet food? They don't taste anything alike but you can enjoy both! It's the same here. 

Spoiler

Shoma is great esp in Loco. Last season performances so enjoyable. You have yuzu with H&L and shoma with Loco

7 minutes ago, yura23 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Shoma is great esp in Loco. Last season performances so enjoyable. You have yuzu with H&L and shoma with Loco

Spoiler

Loco was great. I really hope Mihoko produces more programs like Legends and Loco for him and maybe steps away from the Turandot and the Ladies in Lavender/Winter type programs (LIL and Winter were good and I enjoyed them but i think he needs a sp next season that isn't violin music to shake up the formula they have going) Shoma seems to excel more at programs that are a bit off and quirky now he's developing more his own style other than 'a baby daisuke takashi fanboy' lmao

Loco and H&L were really night and day lmao watching those two programs back to back really ought to be enough for no one to say they are similar :laughing:

10 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

O M G! :ohno:Dice, why???

If you mean his hair color, he did it because of Yuzu (in a sense)
Sometime before PyeongChang he said he would dye his hair blond if Yuzu wins the OGM (in one of his Insta stories or something) and did so when the men's event didn't even conclude because he was sure that Yuzu would win.:68468287:

Here's his comment after FS (see the date of upload). He is so sweet :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

Comment attached to the video:
PyeongChang 2018
Congratulations, Yuzuru Hanyu for winning OGM!!
I've been cheering for you live from the US!

Comment in the video:
"Yuzu, congratulations! I'm really moved. Thank you so much! Congratulations for winning the gold medal and I dyed my hair because I believed that you would win! Congrats! Thank you!"

1 minute ago, sweetwater said:

If you mean his hair color, he did it because of Yuzu (in a sense)
Sometime before PyeongChang he said he would dye his hair blond if Yuzu wins the OGM (in one of his Insta stories or something) and did so when the men's event didn't even conclude because he was sure that Yuzu would win.:68468287:

Here's his comment after FS (see the date of upload). He is so sweet :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

"Yuzu, congratulations! I'm really moved. Thank you so much! Congratulations for winning the gold medal and I dyed my hair because I believed that you would win! Congrats! Thank you!"

OMG! You're right! It's abt Olys! I totally forgot about this!!! Thanks!