[Video] Launch event for P&G #Thankyoumom TVC featuring Yuzuru Hanyu (in the TVC, not the event itself)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some interesting things beings said here that I felt deserve fuller context, since we've only gotten fragments so far, so here y'all go. (I only did the questions that were addressed directly to the guests and skipped all the pure MC bits about P&G. Just follow the time stamps if you want to know where exactly in the video the things below are being said.)

Part 1

引用

<Start of video to 0:24>

MC:

<omitted until 0:24>

<0:24~1:15>

MC [to Matsuoka]:

As we are all well aware, Hanyu-senshu has unfortunately hurt himself during a practice session for the NHK trophy and had to pull out, resulting in his inability to participate in the GPF as well. Injuries truly are things to worry about, aren’t they?

Matsuoka:

I’m one of the few who’s been keeping tabs on his career since its early stages for the media, and (as far as I know), he is someone who thrives in the face of adversity. Any thing that has ever set him back he’s always been able to turn into some kind of advantage for himself. Of course, I don’t know how exactly this latest one will affect him but I personally feel he’ll be able to come back from it stronger than ever.

MC:

That’s very true, and we are all looking forward to seeing him come back an even stronger person.

Matsuoka:

Looking at if from another perspective, I think we’ll be able to see it--this incredible ability of his to turn setbacks like this one into something positive--in all its glory at the next Olympics.

MC:

<omiited until 2:43>

<2:43~end of video>

MC [to Plushenko]:

First a question to Plushenko-san himself. Could you tell us how long it has been since you last visited Japan?

Plushenko:

Good afternoon, all.

[via interpreter]:

I’m very happy to be here. Coming to Japan feels like coming home to me. I come here quite frequently.

In fact, I probably come here more often than I find myself returning home to Russia.

I come here a lot to do exhibitions and shows so I’m always happy to be here each and every time.

But the reason I get invited to so many shows here in Japan is all because of the Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu, who is incredibly huge both here in Japan and in Russia.

So I’m very glad to be able to be here with everyone for this very special event here today.

[said by himself]

Thank you.

MC:

Thank you very much. It is a well-known fact to most that Plushenko-san has been Hanyu-senshu’s very own hero since he was a little boy but what we’d like to know is, how do you feel about his injury this time?

Plushenko [via interpreter]:

First off, let me just say I’m very honored. Why I say this is because I feel extremely fortunate to be able to appear in shows and exhibitions alongside Yuzuru. Also, let me put it out there that I feel very honored to be alive in the same time period as Yuzuru. I’ve known Yuzuru for a long time now. When he was 8, he came to see my very first show here. Back then, he had also come to see other skaters who were there, as well as myself, because he wanted to learn. But it truly gladdens to me to know that he liked me, and looked up to me as a skater. Now, however, it is I who have a lot to learn from him, like how I should present my thoughts and feelings to better communicate with the audience. I learn a lot from seeing how Yuzuru does it.

Now about his injury, it is undeniably unfortunate and I sincerely believe that no one in this world who knows him is happy with how things have turned out. As far as my own experiences go, I’ve undergone 15 surgeries (over the course of my career), 3 of which were centered on my spine, but all 15 were major surgeries. What I want to to say is this: As long as one possesses a strong core and axis, healing would be only a matter of when, not if. Yuzuru is without a doubt someone who possesses all these things so I believe with conviction that he will come back fully healed and that he’ll show the whole world what he can truly do come the Olympics.

MC [to Yoshida]:

It is crystal clear to us now how a skater may feel about all this but Yoshida-san, you have experienced injuring youself during practice at World Championships before so could you share with us how an athlete is able to overcome a trial such as this?

Yoshida:

There’s really no helping it when you’re hurt. Injuries are ultimately unavoidable and a fact of life for athletes. To be able to heal as quickly as possible, it is vital that an athlete knows their own body like the back of their hands. The Olympics are of course the epitome and with only a handful of months left before it starts, it’s important that the athlete set their sights on becoming well enough in time for it. Of course, there’s also the fact that there have been athletes who became Olympic champions while nursing an injury, and there are those who competed in top form and still lost so in that respect, winning and losing aren’t solely based on whether or not an athlete is hurt but it is important that they focus on becoming well again if they are.

-end part 1-

Part 2

引用

<Start of video~00:42>

MC [to Matsuoka]:

Listening to these two esteemed athletes talk about their injuries is a true eye-opener and now we can’t help but wonder how Hanyu-senshu himself will go about coming back from his, can we?

Matsuoka:

I think the one who’d be most happy to hear all of that would be Hanyu-san himself. I mean, we have Plushenko-san here in person and the script for his lines is really only about 30 seconds. But we all heard how much he had to say just now, which tells me how strongly he truly feels and that is what really awes me. To him, I think his feelings towards both informs the coming Olympics as well.

MC:

<omitted until 1:51>

<1:51~6:41>

MC [to Plushenko]:

(From the CM,) it is clear how much Hanyu-senshu treasures his mother and we’d like to know, Plushenko-san, what you think of the commercial?

To any child, parents are a sacred existence. A mother is especially so.

Because what a mother does for their children, like what Yuzuru’s mother does for him, may be something they see as their duty. My own mother, too, did all the cooking and washing for me.

In many ways, our paths, Yuzuru and mine, are very similar. Yuzuru moved from his hometown to Toronto at a young age to train and I left mine to train in St. Petersburg.

The only difference is that Yuzuru’s mother went with him right from the get-go while I spent my first year in St. Petersburg alone.

I was 11 when I first moved to St. Petersburg and had to spend about a year to a year and a half there on my own as I trained. Fortunately, however, my mother came to be with me after and she stayed with me as I continued to train. My father had to stay behind because he had work but he fully supported me from where he was so that I could properly become an athlete.

I know very well how much Yuzuru loves his mother and father and it’s clear to me that to him, his parents are the two most important people to him on this planet.

I feel the video just now is very well done. It’s a lovely and gentle piece of work and it comes across clearly that a lot heart, thought and feelings have been put into it.

MC [to Yoshida]:

And what about you, Yoshida-san? What do you think of it?

Yoshida:

My family has always played an enormous role in my life, as well. My father was a wrestler himself and my mother was a tennis player so I was born into a family of athletes. Everywhere I went, my family would come along and it is all thanks to their presence and their support that I was able to achieve all that I did. So that commercial really hit home with me and I’m once again reminded just how important family really is.

MC [to Matsuoka]:

And what about you, Matsuoka-san? Because seeing that commercial just now, we were able to catch a glimpse of how hard he’s been working ever since he was very little and it drives home the fact that he is who he is today because of the unconditional support his family has given him.

Matsuoka:

Ever since the very first interview I did with him, his mother has always been with him. This isn’t only about Hanyu-san alone but I think for many athletes, mothers will always be the one person who will accept whatever results they achieve. Be it victory or defeat, she is that one individual who’s too good to be true that would accept everything. So I think almost anybody who sees the part where he went, “Thank you, mom” in this commercial would nod readily in agreement themselves. Like back during CoR last month, there was a massive amount of Japanese supporters. (They follow him everywhere he goes) and I think this is because they feel a sort of motherly affection towards him. And because they feel this way, I feel it all becomes an especially warm and positive kind of support for Hanyu-senshu.

MC:

<omitted until the end>

-end part 2-

Part 3

引用

<Start to finish>

MC [to Matsuoka]:

PC is finally going to kick off in February. Matsuoka-san, what kind of expectation do you have for Hanyu-senshu?

Matsuoka:

Well...[to Yoshida and Plushenko] I’m so sorry about this! [To the MC and everyone] (Are you sure about this?) Cause really, I matter the least out of everyone here...

Everyone:

LoL! No, please, go ahead!

Matsuoka:

I think I’m (one of the few) who’s had the privilege of having Hanyu-senshu confide in, and what he’s aiming to do right now is something quite unthinkable. Being the defending champion, if his stance were to simply defend, he’d still be able to win. Instead of that however, he decided to compete with a program that challenges his limits and win that way instead because he believes that’s what he has to do as a sportsman. For me, I think he’s an athlete with the power to perhaps change the very face of sports itself. What do you think, Yoshida-san?

Yoshida:

I think so, too. For me, as well, to be able to create one record after another, an athlete cannot simply focus on defending alone. It’s when they keep moving forward by challenging themselves that the records follow in their wake. Although having already reached the pinnacle once before, instead of being satisfied, they’d decide that wasn’t enough and keep aiming for even higher. You can really feel this vibe very strongly from Hanyu-senshu.

MC [to Plushenko]:

Truly. Plushenko-san, in your opinion, which point do you think Hanyu-senshu has to focus on to win the Olympics? There are so many, like say, from the mental point, etc.

I’d like to make one thing clear. As an athlete, Yuzuru Hanyu has already left way more than his fair share of records and carved out his name in the athletic Hall of Fame.

In other words, he has already competed in numerous competitions and garnered numerous victories and with his scores, he’s already achieved multiple records.

Even so, I’m very certain he more than has it in him to win the next Olympics and I truly think that he will.

There is a correct approach to it, however. Based on my long experience (in this sport), it is extremely important that the coach and the team in its entirety guide their athlete well and the right amount of readiness is also needed. That is to say, during the Olympic event itself, it’s important to coolly and calmly assess the performance of other skaters. And here’s a comment about Yuzuru in particular: He doesn’t need to force it with the quads. All he has to do is carry out whatever he’s already good at. (Yuzuru’s got it all), he’s got the charisma, he’s got the technical ability, and he’s got a highly malleable physique. He’s one of a kind so the most important things for him to do are to come back healthy, to remain calm and collected in his intellect, and to love himself. If he keeps these (three things) up all the way to the Olympics, I believe everything will fall into place for him there.  

Matsuoka:

Um. Can I say something...?

MC:

Yes..?

Matsuoka:        

After hearing all that, there’s a question I’m now burning to ask.

MC:

Go right ahead.

Matsuoka [to Plushenko]:

You are the undisputed emperor when it comes to figure skating, that much is certain, yet I can’t help but feel like there’s a sense of pain about you whenever you talk about the Olympics. You were in line for a 2-peat at Vancouver after Torino (which didn’t happen) and now there’s another possibility for it to happen again, after 66 long years, through Hanyu-senshu. Would this be one of the main reasons behind your support for him? Because you know from personal experience exactly just how difficult it is to actually achieve that and how important it is to win at the Olympics. Could you perhaps share your thoughts on that?

Plushenko:

For me, the possibility wasn’t just for a 2 or 3-peat but a 4-peat.

But here’s the thing. In my very first Olympics, all I had in my head was the desire to win and nothing else. I didn’t give any thought at all as to how to go about doing it, what are the things I needed to do, and how to carry out the things my coach at that time, Alexei Mishin, asked me to. I was overcome by my eagerness to achieve what I wanted to and as a result became flustered. So the main point I’d like to highlight here is this: Do *not* let yourself be carried away by your desire.

I also want to tell him that this isn’t a fight. Which is to say, it’s not one in which he has to win against others, so he shouldn’t look at it as one. Figure skating, unlike (contact sports such as) wrestling, judo and kickboxing, is a fight against oneself. Which means the biggest thing a skater has to conquer is fear itself. What he needs to do is to bring out everything he has trained and accumulated ever since he started skating at 4 during the Big Moment. Your biggest rival is never anyone but yourself, is what my own mother and Alexei has always told me.

[To Matsuoka]

I hope my answer isn’t too long...

Matsuoka:

No such thing...!

Plushenko [via interpreter, to Matsuoka]:

...because if you’d like, I can go on forever about this.

Matsuoka [to Plushenko]:

But others like Oda-san has also expressed that he hopes Hanyu-senshu doesn’t push himself too much and that he doesn’t need the 4Lz...

As I said earlier, he only needs to bring out everything he has trained and accumulated ever since he was 4. And the one he needs to defeat isn’t any other skater but himself.

But I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he’ll able to pull off his quads. They’re all already things he can do and I don’t think he’ll be able to help himself from doing them anyway.

He’s got a number of aces up his sleeves so I think we’ll be able to see him use a lot of them.

Matsuoka [to Yoshida]:

And what do you think of what Plushenko-san has just said, Yoshida-san?

Yoshida:

Well, it’s true enough that when it comes to martial arts, there’s always someone else to fight against but when it comes to figure skating, you are your own worst enemy. So you really have to be entirely together within yourself. You can really feel the passion coming off Plushenko-san. I know you’ve always been a passionate person, Shuzo-san but this is the first time I’ve met Plushenko-san and just sitting here next to him and listening to him talk, you feel as though you’re learning a lot. I’m very surprised. You get that he genuinely feels very strongly about Hanyu-senshu and it’s nice to know that he likes Japan as much as he does.     

-FIN- 

Belated thanks for this translation! Some good insights from Plushenko about conquering fear itself and repeating victories. It also drives home just how small the FS world is and how long they've all known each other -- it must be wonderful to be able to see a talented child grow up like that. 

I'm exceedingly curious about Yuzu's father but I don't think we've ever seen him on camera before right? What sort of parents could raise such a kid...all intriguing questions ; u ;   

26 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Belated thanks for this translation! Some good insights from Plushenko about conquering fear itself and repeating victories. It also drives home just how small the FS world is and how long they've all known each other -- it must be wonderful to be able to see a talented child grow up like that. 

I'm exceedingly curious about Yuzu's father but I don't think we've ever seen him on camera before right? What sort of parents could raise such a kid...all intriguing questions ; u ;   

Hmmm.... Yuzusorbet did a translation for an article titled The family that nurtured Yuzuru the genius.

His dad has never been on camera but there's a B&W photo of him somewhere...

7 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Hmmm.... Yuzusorbet did a translation for an article titled The family that nurtured Yuzuru the genius.

His dad has never been on camera but there's a B&W photo of him somewhere...

Ah yes, I've read that article - his extended family seem to also be very private people who keep a distance from the media frenzy surrounding him, which I think is admirable. 

I'm a bit of a nerd for familial resemblances purely as an artist -- I find it fascinating to see how children inherent certain facial features from their parents which is why I have this lowkey curiosity about what his father and sister look like (but I acknowledge that's slightly creepy to say out loud, no matter how innocent I know my actual intentions are LMAO so I'm going to go now.... :slinkaway:)

10 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Ah yes, I've read that article - his extended family seem to also be very private people who keep a distance from the media frenzy surrounding him, which I think is admirable. 

I'm a bit of a nerd for familial resemblances purely as an artist -- I find it fascinating to see how children inherent certain facial features from their parents which is why I have this lowkey curiosity about what his father and sister look like (but I acknowledge that's slightly creepy to say out loud, no matter how innocent I know my actual intentions are LMAO so I'm going to go now.... :slinkaway:)

The photo was from a YuzuKana obsessed shipper tumblr site which I can't name now (they've changed their tumblr and seemed to have moved on after Kana announced that she had a crush on Gachinsky :smiley-laughing021: ).

25 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

The photo was from a YuzuKana obsessed shipper tumblr site which I can't name now (they've changed their tumblr and seemed to have moved on after Kana announced that she had a crush on Gachinsky :smiley-laughing021: ).

Hahahaha the poor person, Kana shattering shipper hearts in one fell swoop :laughing: that’s okay, some things I will just settle for never knowing 

@kaerb: From what i can tell they both take mostly after their mom, although the case with Yuzuru is more extreme. He's practically a male(ish) carbon copy of her, down to the bit of flesh under his chin, like a Yumi 2.♂ (that's her name right? Oh and that's supposed to be 2.0 with the 0 being the male symbol). She's got some really strong genes...

4 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

@kaerb: From what i can tell they both take mostly after their mom, although the case with Yuzuru is more extreme. He's practically a male(ish) carbon copy of her, down to the bit of flesh under his chin, like a Yumi 2.♂ (that's her name right? Oh and that's supposed to be 2.0 with the 0 being the male symbol). She's got some really strong genes...

Yeah the yuzusorbet translation of the interview mentions he inherited most of his athletic ability from his mother’s side of the family too, those are some impressive genes (though they often say sons resemble their mothers more). The face shape, eye smile, skin and body type, for sure, though I’d say eye shape, nose and especially lips are subtly different. In Chinese we say ‘会选’ (he isolated the best parts of his parent’s features and picked them out) :laughing: They’re also almost the same height right?

(Lol a JP fan compiled a video of the few ninja Yumi-san sightings. You’re not wrong about the carbon copy lol especially when they smile)