6 hours ago, kaeryth said:

The Mexican judge who underscored Yuzu at 4CC'17 is there though...

Yeah but at least they are trying to keep the bias at minimum ... weird selection of judges tho...

11 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

wow this is a big departure from typical ISU practices. Usually the ISU goes out of its way to include judges from the countries of the top competitors, on the theory that national bias will cancel each other out. I guess they've decided to go the opposite way for this competition (which they should!). Guess they don't consider Boyang a top competitor though. Poor Boyang.

The International Skating Union (ISU) has chosen Infront as a media rights partner for the next four seasons.

The agreement includes media rights across all territories worldwide with the exception of Canada, China, Japan, Korea and USA to ISU's flagship events – the annual World and European Championships in Speed Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, Figure Skating and Synchronized Skating. It also covers all World Cup and Grand Prix competitions in these disciplines.

In total, Infront will ensure global exposure for more than 120 events during all four seasons, including through both traditional broadcast and digital channels. In order to promote the events further and support the growth of all disciplines, Infront's media rights sales approach will include multiple carve-outs providing the ISU with numerous opportunities to exploit selected media rights through their own platforms.

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

I don't really speak business so I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing :xD:

Theoretical calculations for clean Yuzu versus clean Nathan match up at Worlds, featuring Yuzu with the Helsinki layout and Nathan first with the US Nats layout and then with an upgraded layout including 4S

Yuzu wins over both Nationals and upgraded Nathan under the assumption that Yuzu maintains a 5 point PCS edge and a 0.5 point GOE edge per element (though it's pretty close versus upgraded Nathan). I think I lowballed both of them on GOE and PCS for a clean skate based on how judges have been judging this season (but in Nathan's case, I seriously hope I didn't lowball him relative to judges, because those are some pretty generous scores imo), but it's the PCS and GOE margins that matter, not the actual scores. So I think barring seriously wonky judging, Nathan still needs Yuzu to make at least a small mistake to win (contra Johnny Weir), assuming he's completely clean (less likely if he adds 4S). But it's mostly going to come down to who is cleaner--Yuzu might have room for one mistake if Nathan sticks with his Nats layout.

I hope this is the place to write this but omg he literally turned into a tornado there!!

I was kind of curious if anyone has ever bothered to plot out the men's and ladies' PCS scores to see the normal distribution and where skaters sit on a bell curve. 

Part of the reason is to figure out what is the avg, mean and actual scores given to skaters, relative to each other, as PCS does seem to factor in skater's relative performance vis-a-vis each other. 

So I've gathered the data for the ladies at 4CC, taking out Brooklee Han as she WD in the long. So of the 21 skaters, my current results are:

Component Mean Median St Dev
SS 7.10 6.95 0.88
TR 6.79 6.59 0.97
PE 7.04 6.93 0.99
CO 7.08 6.89 0.93
IN 7.11 7.02 0.99

Sheet is here: (link)

I actually don't use excel that often anymore (there's a project software that does all these calculations for me at work), and I'm definitely not a statistician. But I thought having a good normal distribution chart, with a decent indication of where people sit on a bell curve, might give clues as to how big a factor nationality is, and evaluate (vs actual PCS guidelines) where skaters are considered ranked next to each other.  Then maybe we can start actual discussions of whether or not skaters are sitting where they should be sitting on the actual bell curve. 

On 1/29/2019 at 10:48 AM, Murieleirum said:

I don't really speak business so I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing :xD:

Same :crazyshit:

14 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

So both Vincent and his coach have just straight up called them 'bad calls', huh? Well that's nice, good to see they're getting the right takeaways from all this.

ETA: Also an excellent example of how a lot of US media just basically does PR. If the headline is an indication of what the report is supposed to be about, talking to a skater and his coaches shouldn't be the primary part. It should have comments from multiple judges, tech panel, and at least a record of attempting to get a comment from an ISU representative. Even if they won't comment, putting it out there repeatedly that ISU did not respond despite requests for comment is part of how you put pressure on them to step up their tech assistance for judges and tech panel. Here, there's a comment from one US judge in the second half of the article and that's it, the primary narrative comes from Vincent and his coach. It's sloppy journalism but then I don't think actually delving into the issue was the intention here anyway.

Also, hilarious how it was not a problem at all when their skaters got away with dodgy 3As and 4Los within the 90 degrees were called.