Just now, Dori6886 said:

If it would work as extra prize/ medal (for example, athlete that got the most points on spins (level + goe) gets prize/medal for being best spinner) or something like that then I don't have anything against it. But I don't think that changing figure skating into gymanstics on ice is a good idea. 

I'm thinking instead of most points on spins in the competition, it would be a separate event you can enter if you want to...separate from the main event. So you are not automatically entered, and the main event will stay the same as it is and will be judged comprehensively.

Oh man, all I can see in my head is a return of the pro comps, with a tech program and then artistic program. I do NOT want that in amateur skating. I love that you have to weave artistry into your difficulty and vice versa. It is the perfect balance that is amazing. The skaters at the top right now are pretty amazing,  some of the best skaters ever precisely because they needed to develop everything. 

Stupid judges. Their inability to follow the critera for awarding marks has helped create this monster of an issue.  I do NOT want to see a decades old system, sp and lp, disappear just because there have been some issues lately. The judges need to do better... or they could separate panels instead.... rather than change what the skaters have to do on the ice because they are doing some amazing stuff out there. 

5 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

When it comes to technical elements, I do think that it is a little bit sad that you can be a terrible spinner but a fine jumper and still do well (i.e. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva), but you can not be a beautiful spinner and a mediocre jumper (i.e. Alisa Lozko, Yulia Lipnitskaya post-Sochi).

Skaters like Liza can still win worlds, whereas skaters like Yulia couldn't even get a GP. 

So I do think it may not be a bad idea to have a medal event for spinning and jumping, too.  

If it was additional, alright. But, as somebody said earlier, longer competitions require longer broadcast time, and tvs definitely have enough material to go without additional hour or so of competition-just look at the timetables of the tv stations that do not have a representative skater in GPF; the fans from those countries are lucky to have a highlight replays that mention they didn't air the competition because of a billard match (with all respect for billard, but...seriously eurosport...:facepalm:I'm salty about that and I wasn't even a fan back then xD)

As for more medals if we go for technical and artistic program (I'm on a 'no' side of this), maybe instead of BS-ing like that, just popularize small medals ceremonies to the competitions other than worlds?

Also,just a fair reminder that the so-called disadvantaged by TES skater Jason Brown skated in the last group during WTT (I know it's a joke competition but hey!), and in the second to the last in Worlds. Politicking aside, this speaks for something, so I'm still in the 'slow-mo for TP instead of bs-ing the rules' camp. A bit more positive on a +/-5 GOEs, though *wonders how +5 3A would look like* (or maybe make that +6-one for each bullet you need to fill to reach max GoE-unless bullet about matching the musical structure is the requirement for 0 GoE...xD)

I'm not supposed to type this long answers at this hour on mobile...

26 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I'm thinking instead of most points on spins in the competition, it would be a separate event you can enter if you want to...separate from the main event. So you are not automatically entered, and the main event will stay the same as it is and will be judged comprehensively.

I personally see a few problems:

1) time. Competitions schedules are already packed with 2 programes per discipline and official practises.

2) audience. Will people be willing to watch it and spend even more money for tickets than now? It would require to make some audience studies.

3) broadcasting. Tv stations often don't broadcast whole competitions already. 

4) at least at beginning I doubt many top skaters would participate since current format would be more prestigious and have more recognition. Like being a team event olympic medallist vs being an olympic medallist in singles/ pairs/ ice dance. But the gap would be probably even bigger.

In conclusion I'm rather against this idea, but I can be completely wrong.  

5 minutes ago, Dori6886 said:

I personally see a few problems:

1) time. Competitions schedules are already packed with 2 programes per discipline and official practises.

2) audience. Will people be willing to watch it and spend even more money for tickets than now? It would require to make some audience studies.

3) broadcasting. Tv stations often don't broadcast whole competitions already. 

4) at least at beginning I doubt many top skaters would participate since current format would be more prestigious and have more recognition. Like being a team event olympic medallist vs being an olympic medallist in singles/ pairs/ ice dance. But the gap would be probably even bigger.

In conclusion I'm rather against this idea, but I can be completely wrong.  

Yeah, you are right, it is already a lot of energy for skaters to do back to back competitions, would be worse if they had to do more competitions at one event. And likely no one will buy tickets just to see someone spin or jump, so it will be a $$, resource, and time drain and that's why they got rid of figures....

6 minutes ago, Anony said:

In lieu of recent events and ISU's continuously highly questionable decisions, I decided to make this highly accurate representation of ISU's current state :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw::7938863:zHzOBX1.jpg

I feel like the fact that you took it from a japanese program should say something but i can't  make the connection

As far as ISU's view is concerned, the advantage of having more medals in the figure skating event is that there is more opportunity for skaters. And, someone who misses figure skating of 6.0 System may agree.

However, the status of individual skaters who advance the figure beyond the rules and systems will be reduced, and the power of judgment will be stronger. ISU doesn't seem to want player to be greater than themselves. :))

1 hour ago, Anony said:

In lieu of recent events and ISU's continuously highly questionable decisions, I decided to make this highly accurate representation of ISU's current state :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw::7938863:zHzOBX1.jpg

When will ISU admit that the judges not following the rules is the problem..

3 hours ago, Dori6886 said:

It depends on who will be in the competition...As we all know about the reality of ticket selling...ISU please don't make someone disappointed otherwise you will be sad and crying.

3 hours ago, robin said:

Wow ummmm what are the chances that ISU will actually go through with this proposal? Just... can we not?

They will, it has been in the talk since 2015 when Yuzuru broke 300 barrier. Actually ISU vice president mentioned the same thing in an email to my friend's coach. We thought they're just playing something in the ground but they're truly bringing it.

12 minutes ago, meoima said:

They will, it has been in the talk since 2015 when Yuzuru broke 300 barrier. Actually ISU vice president mentioned the same thing in an email to my friend's coach. We thought they're just playing something in the ground but they're truly bringing it.

This is disgusting. When I have time, I will write a longer post, but ISU seems to have lost its own idea of the ideal skate or ideal skater. But now, if it sees a skater individually push for an ideal, then clamp down on it. Good job destroying your baby ISU....

Seriously ISU :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: (I don't think I can put enough facepalm emoticons here to express how I feel about this.)

Everyone here has already made excellent points on why these ideas from the ISU are mostly total BS, so won't go into them again.

I'm trying to imagine how a FS comp with separate technical and artistic segments would look like.

Does it mean no music for the technical aspect? Similar to how it was for compulsary figures? (and we all know how that went).

It puts into the mind the Aerial Figure Skating Competition that the US holds during the summer.

I fell asleep watching that, no matter that some of the competitors were performing difficult combos, and the team captains even doing backflips!

So yeah, I don't understand how this became one of the ideas ISU has for "making the sport popular again".

And they must be considering it pretty seriously if they already mentioned it in an interview like this.