So in the same breath that they decided not to cancel FS Worlds, the ISU canceled the Synchro Worlds. They might as well have lit it up in neon lights that continuing to hold Worlds is about $$$$$$$$$$ and nothing more, because there's definitely no money in Synchro. 

And now they're basically gonna hold a knife to everyone's neck with the  whole 'compete or lose spots at the Olympics' threat. 

Wonder what Skate Canada will do. They were already musing out loud about a potential withdrawal from Worlds,  there around Christmas. 

17 hours ago, Paskud said:

What I meant was, will they withdraw the team, or won't they. Given that the COVID situation in Canada is far less serious than in Sweden, and they've still canceled all competitions, are they really going to send skaters to Worlds? 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

What I meant was, will they withdraw the team, or won't they. Given that the COVID situation in Canada is far less serious than in Sweden, and they've still canceled all competitions, are they really going to send skaters to Worlds? 

Considering that they announced these criteria few hours after ISU decision? I don't think so.

Canada also sent its skaters to the Speed Skating World Cup to the Netherlands which was this week. The numbers aren't better in the Netherlands than in Sweden...and yeah, as @Paskud said the Canadian fed announced the selection criteria for Worlds right after the ISU decision was made public so unless something drastic happens until then I think it is likely Canadian skaters will participate at the competition.

6 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Canada also sent its skaters to the Speed Skating World Cup to the Netherlands which was this week. The numbers aren't better in the Netherlands than in Sweden...and yeah, as @Paskud said the Canadian fed announced the selection criteria for Worlds right after the ISU decision was made public so unless something drastic happens until then I think it is likely Canadian skaters will participate at the competition.

After canceling their own Nationals? Seems a bit contradictory to me, but I guess there's no harm in them making plans anyway 

5 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

After canceling their own Nationals? Seems a bit contradictory to me, but I guess there's no harm in them making plans anyway 

It seems at the first glance, but maybe there's too many restrictions in the country to make comp happen or just too much money needed to organize the comp with all the measures. Maybe they'll wait and see what other feds will decide. Korea also had all internal comps cancelled I think.

17 hours ago, Lunna said:

It seems at the first glance, but maybe there's too many restrictions in the country to make comp happen or just too much money needed to organize the comp with all the measures. Maybe they'll wait and see what other feds will decide. Korea also had all internal comps cancelled I think.

Yeah, plus, even if they decide to send their athletes, they might still face losing spots, given the disadvantages facing their athletes due to the pandemic. 

Re: Team Korea is waiting for the gov restrictions to dial down before holding domestic comps, but for now that has not yet happened I think. WCs are planned in 2 months so ... honestly? It doesn't look good :( 

4 часа назад, Melodie сказал:

Yeah, plus, even if they decide to send their athletes, they might still face losing spots, given the disadvantages facing their athletes due to the pandemic.

The thing is there will be disadvantages anyway, either helding comp now (though I think most top and near-top athletes had their ice time, not sure about small feds), either having Oly spots based on outdated results.

12 minutes ago, Lunna said:

The thing is there will be disadvantages anyway, either helding comp now (though I think most top and near-top athletes had their ice time, not sure about small feds), either having Oly spots based on outdated results.

True tho, well there is no easy way out :( 

It was already posted in the Worlds 2021 thread but posting it here too:

New ISU communication about obtaining minimum TES for Worlds 2021: 

https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/25474-2370-tes-video-evaluation-isu-world-championships-2021/file

• Minimum TES remains the same (Men: 34 for SP, 64 for FS, Ladies: 30/51, Pairs: 27/44, Ice Dance: 33/47).
  • Minimum TES can be achieved in the current season and the two previous seasons (2019/2020 and 2018/2019)
  • Those who achieved minimum TES at junior competitions in the current or the past two seasons are valid
  • Virtual evaluation for those who haven't reached the minimum or don't have the TES (hello, Knierim/Fraizer)