On 12/17/2020 at 6:53 PM, yuzuangel said:

oof

:shrug:

The ruling also blocked Russia from bidding to host major sporting events for two years.

(...)

Although Russia would be stripped of hosting world championships in the next two years, events can be reprieved. Governing bodies have been advised to find a new host “unless it is legally or practically impossible to do so.”

28 minutes ago, Paskud said:

:shrug:

The judgement of CAS is legally binding only if RUSADA doesn't appeal to the Swiss Supreme Court against the decision, so if they appeal I think until a final decision they are allowed to host big events. 

I read from someone who has ties to some people in the organizing committee of Worlds 2021 that they are planning to host Worlds without spectators. It's more possible imo than giving it to Russia or other countries which is a lot more complicated even if they also held it without spectators.

I think they'd only cancel it altogether if Beijing will be postponed to 2023. 

2 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

The judgement of CAS is legally binding only if RUSADA doesn't appeal to the Swiss Supreme Court against the decision, so if they appeal I think until a final decision they are allowed to host big events. 

I read from someone who has ties to some people in the organizing committee of Worlds 2021 that they are planning to host Worlds without spectators. It's more possible imo than giving it to Russia or other countries which is a lot more complicated even if they also held it without spectators.

Update: I just found this 

So if I understand correctly, Russia really can't hold the WC. 

Tat really has senile memory.

6 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I guess it'll be tricky. For one, Sweden just released new COVID prevention regulations that are a whole lot stricter. Also, all domestic comps are cancelled, meaning, they will be ruling out their own athletes should they go forward with the WC. But I don't know, I also heard something similar. Sweden seems to be determined. 

44 minutes ago, Melodie said:

I guess it'll be tricky. For one, Sweden just released new COVID prevention regulations that are a whole lot stricter. Also, all domestic comps are cancelled, meaning, they will be ruling out their own athletes should they go forward with the WC. But I don't know, I also heard something similar. Sweden seems to be determined. 

I guess we'll know more soon. After all there are only two and a half months left until Worlds which is not much time.

32 minutes ago, Paskud said:

I guess there always will be some loophole, but at least right now Lakernik said no.

If he said so (even if he didn't go into details why it is not possible legally) then they don't move it to Russia.

6 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I guess we'll know more soon. After all there are only two and a half months left until Worlds which is not much time.

If he said so (even if he didn't go into details why it is not possible legally) then they don't move it to Russia.

It's in the final decision. Russia has to compete under the neutral flag and can't hold major comps in the next two years. However, I agree with @Paskud, there can be loopholes. We shall see. 

8 minutes ago, Melodie said:

It's in the final decision. Russia has to compete under the neutral flag and can't hold major comps in the next two years. However, I agree with @Paskud, there can be loopholes. We shall see. 

I meant Sweden when I said we'll see, I didn't mean Russia. There's not much time until March and if they want to go ahead then I guess they are working on to organize it without spectators. If they can't hold it even without spectators then they have to announce it well before the event - if they cancel it altogether athletes need to know it in time and if they postpone it or try to organize it somewhere else then they also have to announce it so that athletes can prepare for it.

About Russia - I don't know if it's final because I haven't read any news that the decision is final and they didn't appeal to the Supreme Court. But since Lakernik said for some legal reason it is not possible to move Worlds to Russia then it doesn't matter anymore. I just feel sad for the athletes and I think it's cruel to punish them in this way. Olympic Games is the biggest event for athletes, and with this decision they are deprived from standing on the podium listening to their own anthem and having their flag up. Olympics should be free from politics but sadly it isn't.

4 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I meant Sweden when I said we'll see, I didn't mean Russia. There's not much time until March and if they want to go ahead then I guess they are working on to organize it without spectators. If they can't hold it even without spectators then they have to announce it well before the event - if they cancel it altogether athletes need to know it in time and if they postpone it or try to organize it somewhere else then they also have to announce it so that athletes can prepare for it.

About Russia - I don't know if it's final because I haven't read any news that the decision is final and they didn't appeal to the Supreme Court. But since Lakernik said for some legal reason it is not possible to move Worlds to Russia then it doesn't matter anymore. I just feel sad for the athletes and I think it's cruel to punish them in this way. Olympic Games is the biggest event for athletes, and with this decision they are deprived from standing on the podium listening to their own anthem and having their flag up. Olympics should be free from politics but sadly it isn't.

I see. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

I agree, we shall see. The ISU plans to have a meeting on Jan 28, so I hope we will hear something by then (IF they don't keep moving the meeting to a new date, that is)

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

How can a single man be so wrong on so many subjects? Not only those outside his sports (I doubt soccer will lose many supporters when Messi and Ronaldo retire); but particularly on figure skating. Disdaining Japan (and of course Yuzuru Hanyu whom he mentions only once, just so say he's "also of the level of Nathan Chen", very kind of him I'm sure) and ignoring its figure skating history pre-2006, believing American public would flow if figure skating was just selling a narrative and a show with no relation to what is truly skated on ice (that's what American channels are already attempting, isn't it? And it doesn't work, most of those who get interested in figure skating in spite of all, don't buy those narratives, come on we're in 2021); completely ignoring the commercial potential of China for ISU (while the greatest number of fans come from China), and of other countries, particularly East-Asian, some already wealthy, others on the way. Plus, of course, if spectators don't want to be robbed of a proper Gala for a mock Oscar ceremony, it's just because we are his enemies. But I didn't know his name before that infamous attempt! I must say though, when I then learnt he was Evguenia Medvedeva's agent, I somehow linked the dots, particularly with the 2019 letter episode.

And that man is an oracle to ISU! We should not wonder why they struggle.