14 часов назад, Melodie сказал:

And, if the goal is only to test out for Beijing, just hold 4CC in Beijing instead (but then European skaters can't be there, so heh)

But for PC 4CC was test event, so I am wondering the same why they cling to the final. Organizer can theoretically give a wild card to invite some skaters which didn't happen to take part in GPs.

14 minutes ago, Lunna said:

But for PC 4CC was test event, so I am wondering the same why they cling to the final. Organizer can theoretically give a wild card to invite some skaters which didn't happen to take part in GPs.

You are right. Well, it is the ISU so heh

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Would China even agree to let in American skaters and their teams?

Good point. Other than the pandemic, geopolitical relationship between the US and China is not exactly the best right now, and noone wants to see that scenario when an athlete, coach or staff is caught or interrogated for suspicion of espionage. It might sound far-fetched but it has already happened with academia so who knows?

48 minutes ago, Melodie said:

Good point. Other than the pandemic, geopolitical relationship between the US and China is not exactly the best right now, and noone wants to see that scenario when an athlete, coach or staff is caught or interrogated for suspicion of espionage. It might sound far-fetched but it has already happened with academia so who knows?

I don't think they would, just ahead of Olympic Winter Games. I don't know how those things happen usually, but I would rather imagine "a hint" to a government if they perceived a member of a coaching team or an official etc, as a threat, so that they don't send him or her.

8 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

Hello.i fairly new to rules of fs and still learning.dont know is this the right place to ask..in free skate can a skater repeat 3t combo?for exampe a skater do a 4f3t and 4t3t combo in the same free skate.is it allowed or the base value will be reduced?

Yes, it is allowed. Many ladies repeat -3t combo in their programs.

I just stumbled across this on ISU's rules (emphasis theirs) :

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/24781-tphb-single-skating-2020-21-final/file

P.20 : « Cheated take-off A clear forward (backward for Axel type jump) take-off will be considered as a downgraded jump. The toe loop is the most commonly cheated on take-off jump. The TP may only watch the replay in regular speed to determine the cheat and downgrade on the take off (more often in combinations or sequences). »

How can one be surprised no prerotation is ever called, as the tech panel is de facto forbidden to check?

On 10/26/2020 at 10:37 PM, SitTwizzle said:

I just stumbled across this on ISU's rules (emphasis theirs) :

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/sandp-handbooks-faq/24781-tphb-single-skating-2020-21-final/file

P.20 : « Cheated take-off A clear forward (backward for Axel type jump) take-off will be considered as a downgraded jump. The toe loop is the most commonly cheated on take-off jump. The TP may only watch the replay in regular speed to determine the cheat and downgrade on the take off (more often in combinations or sequences). »

How can one be surprised no prerotation is ever called, as the tech panel is de facto forbidden to check?

yeah, that's a big reason (though one would expect that experts were able to spot at least the most glaring examples even without a slow mo)... and it's twice a stupid rule when you think that F and Lz are jumps with the least "natural" PR (hence, jumps where a forward take off is a particularly egregious flaw) and tech panel are already allowed to use slow mo on their take off to check the correct edge. It's not like allowing panels to check two things at once (edge and PR) would take that much additional time... but alas!

On the other hand, panels can't get edges right even with slow mo, so it's possible it probably wouldn't change things much.

Multiple camera angles and more technology would solve so many problems, but there's lack of will to make scoring less subjective (there's lack of funds too, but ISU is not even trying)

FS is so weird, they want to make you accept the craziest scoring because it's hard and poor judges are only human, but when you point out that technology could help those poor judges and take part of their burden away... crickets :shrug: