THANK YOU Canada for being sensible!

I can't even bring myself to feel sorry for skaters missing on an oppurtunity, this will be for their safety too. What I am sorry about is that situation is that serious.

It would have been better if ISU had given up on having a traditional GP and gone instead for digital no-stakes* GP (or heck, even just a weekly iceshow) open to as many skaters as possible

*(till the issue of standard equipment, camera angles and such for filming won't be solved, I'll laugh at the idea of virtual comps counting for anything more than training and entertainment. There must be at least an attempt at fairness when scoring and ranking the skates). Instead they wasted time and sources and held a thousands meetings to find a way to make live-GPseries happen.

Hoping this is their wake up call to focus on solutions to safely hold the big comps in latter half of the season (WC is nevet gona be cancelled since it's in Sweden, at worst it will be held without audience but even that is doubtful. One can only hope that March 2021 will be better than March2020 worldwide)

Speaking of latter half of the season:

3 hours ago, Anni said:

NEGL, I was surprised tickets were still even a possibility. Are they sure they don't want to cancel the whole comp directly? 'cause it doesn't look like an international comp will be possible anytime soon in Australia (especially not one of FS, which isn't exactly the most popular sport in Australia or in the world, and for sure not as rich as, say, tennis or F1, so it holds no sway over politicians and authorities)

😅😅😅😅😅😅

Skate Canada International has been cancelled amid concern of rising COVID-19 cases in Ontario.

The Grand Prix event was scheduled for Oct. 30-31 in Ottawa in front of no fans, but the decision was made to scrap the competition in consultation with the City of Ottawa and the provincial government on Wednesday.

Skate Canada CEO Debra Armstrong said with the recent 28-day shutdown of recreational facilities, among other venues that host large gatherings in the province's hot spots including Ottawa, and the "continuous shift in requirements across the country," it became clear it wouldn't be possible to host the event.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/skate-canada-international-cancelled-ottawa-covid-19-1.5761592

The mayor of Grenoble was critical of the management of the Covid-19 epidemic. Guest of the morning of France Inter Tuesday, October 13, the ecologist Eric Piolle estimated that the government "navigates on sight" in this health crisis, while President Emmanuel Macron is due to speak Wednesday on TF1 and France 2.
In a letter addressed to the Minister of Health, the Grenoble councilor had already asked for "a real partnership with the State" in the management of the coronavirus crisis, on the eve of the metropolis tipping into the maximum alert zone. He said there his desire that local elected representatives be more concerted to decide on the measures to be taken.

"When we say that we exceed 30% of intensive care beds, and that's what made us switch to Grenoble, in practice, we have 18 people at the CHU in intensive care," he recalled. This transition to the maximum alert zone has resulted in new restrictions such as the closure of bars in the Grenoble metropolitan area for two weeks and the obligation to wear a mask in all municipalities with more than 10,000 inhabitants in Isère.

"Let us take the height, let us rely on democracy, he also pleaded, do not do only the administrative because the administrative, it has positive sides, it also has perverse effects." While the metropolis of Grenoble is still in the maximum alert zone for Covid-19, Emmanuel Macron must answer questions from Anne-Sophie Lapix and Gilles Bouleau on Wednesday. Curfew ? Reconfinement? The head of state could announce several measures to slow the epidemic in the most affected areas of France, of which the capital of the Alps is part.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/isere/grenoble/covid-19-gouvernement-navigue-vue-eric-piolle-qui-demande-partager-scenarios-anticiper-1883830.html

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

Yes, and in some cities that particular criteria was met by people who have nothing to do in ICU but are sent there, either because it is a new arbitrary rule, or to protect them from dangerous new guidelines. I don't know if it is the case in Grenoble. There is a rise in numbers but still rather low numbers.

I won't say more on the disease because it belongs to the specific thread. There are good and bad news I would say.

Lakernik believes that the cancellation of the Grand Prix in Canada will not affect the rest of the series

"The Grand Prix are divided, so I don't think that if a stage is canceled, it will somehow affect others, - said Lakernik. - This stage should have been mainly Canadian athletes. when divided and held in the format of national competitions, it does not seem to me that this will have a serious effect on the rest. But this is just my opinion." 

President Emmanuel Macron announced the establishment of a curfew from October 17 in Ile-de-France and in the following metropolises: Grenoble, Lille, Lyon, Aix, Marseille, Montpellier, Saint-Etienne and Toulouse. This means that, unless there is an exemption, traffic on public roads will be prohibited between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. What are the consequences for sporting events and for the practice of sport in these areas?

• Behind closed doors for certain league or Cup matches

Ligue 1 must resume its rights this weekend after the international break. The Olympique de Marseille match at home on Saturday against Bordeaux and Lille at home against Lens on Sunday are scheduled at 9 p.m. These matches will have to be played behind closed doors. "The competitions will have to be played without an audience if they take place after 9 p.m." the ministry said. Since mid-September, the stadiums located in the "enhanced alert zone" could only accommodate 1000 people in a match. All professional sports are concerned.

Professional athletes have also been "defined as a priority audience for professional activity," said the Ministry of Sports. This could have an impact on the training and the entire working environment of high-level athletes, the ministry having indicated that the "modalities" would be "refined" in the coming days.

https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/omnisport/huis-clos-aide-aux-clubs-bercy-les-consequences-du-couvre-feu-sur-le-monde-du-sport

I read the first part, without automatic translation so I am likely to have misunderstood things (well, with an automatic translation I would be probably too).

Very interesting to know there are exams to be judges, not only training (are they the same for all federations? How are they?)

And very interesting too, that many people voting at ISU have linguistic problems and vote without understanding what is at stake. If it is still the case 23 years after, this may be a cause for some federations having more power and others not reacting to abuses.

This being said, for Yuzuru Hanyu specifically it may not be just a question of federation, Shoma Uno seeming to get the same scores for a less valuable skating, when he's "on".

And there, that question of "a skater's standing" appears and explain much. If all that is written in ISU manuals is of no avail in judging, just the number and official level of elements, of course Yuzuru Hanyu has an equal. If the skeleton/draft of an indifferent program is the same as a full fleshed/masterpiece of an ultra-beautiful and difficult one provided the base value of the elements is the same, this explains so much...

Hello. It's my first post here. I knew the site before, I've read a lot of very interesting things but for me to read in Englis is much more easier than to write, so I've never written anything here.
Now I've followed a link in my blog and I've come in this forum. If anyone have some question about my articles because Google translate don't work well, feel free to ask me, I will try to answer (hoping that my English will support me).
For the problem of the language, Beverley Smith has written
"Some potential judges may fall afoul of the ISU requirement that all communications be done in English."
She has written her book in 1994 (my copy was updatend in 1999), but I fear that the language is still a problem.