On 9/7/2020 at 2:12 PM, SparkleSalad said:

Not sure if it's been posted here but the Australian National Championships scheduled for Nov/Dec have been cancelled and won't be rescheduled due to the uncertainty of domestic border closures and quarantine measures. 

https://bddb0f3c-5b25-4fd8-b64c-5ae09e0c4567.filesusr.com/ugd/b5945d_2dae37622bff4dc1ae5b0d464ec781d2.pdf

ISU really is crazy to think 4CC could ever happen. 

Yeah, when I read it it felt kind of final for 4CC: if they can't ensure safety for a domestic event, how can they ensure safety for the second biggest international FS event that will have, just counting the skaters, a good hundred people coming from abroad?

Is ISU waiting an official notification by Aussie fed? Because if 4CC goes on it will be a big joke, especially with Aussie skaters not even getting Nats :/

sorry for @SparkleSalad and all the satellites from that part of the wolrd. Finally a comp reasonably "close" and then 2020 happened:Poohgaveup:

On 9/6/2020 at 5:04 PM, yuzuangel said:

Would people be interested in a site that just scrapes ISU information, and puts it in like an Excel/CSV format for anyone to download? Something like SkatingScores but open source.

I do think it would be useful, since I've heard SkatingScores get mad with people using their scraped data for other analyses...

personally I don't do analyses that require that kind of data (I just read them, 'cause Excel and I aren't exactly on good terms and statistics...well, I can read a bit but not my field), but I know I guess it would be very useful for projects like Shanshani's or other people who don't want to deal with SkatingScores and their "my preciousss" attitude

How much time and source-consuming would it be though? I feel bad saying "yes do it!" knowing that I'll be of little help:13877886:

in other news, I've finally being contacted for the Pure as Ice bonus merch, since that yep, I was among first 50:woop: (tbh I wouldb't be surprised if I was the first and only one to do that LMAO)

I'll let you know when I'll get..whatever I get. No idea what's gonna be but I'll show it off as ProOf that I'm a TrUe FaN  :deal:

kidding :P

the course itself was pretty basic (probably I've said this already) but good for someone who had no idea about doping, and with lots of sources to help skaters, coaches etc. The most interesting thing was that athletes are *theorically* always available for surprise testing. That means that... in every moment they do know where ninjaZu is LOL

I also liked the reference to good healthy diet and sleep and such. Though it's pretty clear that coaches don't really read this stuff (or if they do they just laugh at it)

All in all, I can only wish that ISU put as much care in fair scoring as in their antidoping campaign:shrug:

*dramatic drumrolls*

....better late than never? (though maybe never would have been a good option this time)

Looking at the questionable handling of tennis tournments this month, with last minute decisions and U-turns, I'm not even surprised that at ISU they were taking their sweet time with announcements

Just now, Paskud said:

They really want to tell all skaters from Europe to fly to France, huh?

Or China. I mean, the list of European countries allowed to enter China is expanding. South Korea skaters may end up there too (if they are still in their country).

What I don't get is supposedly GPs are held as planned, what if by the time GPF rolls out (supposedly it is still in China), athletes from certain countries are still not allowed to enter China (for example the US and Russia, I think, but correct me if I'm wrong)? And even if they can enter, what if they still have to go thru the 14-day quarantine upon entering and another 14 days upon coming back? Unless the ISU is sure that everything will be OK by then. (Maybe they are certain that vaccine will be distributed throughout the world by then and everyone and their mother can get it)

13 hours ago, LadyLou said:

All in all, I can only wish that ISU put as much care in fair scoring as in their antidoping campaign

at least their anti-doping works! (as far as we know). FS has had plenty of scandals but so far doping is not among them, which is more than can be said for many other sports.

I seriously can't believe the ISU is even bothering to announce GP assignments now. Didn't they say a month ago that they wouldn't give assignments and skaters were free to go to the closest/local one? WTF. :judge:

2 часа назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

I seriously can't believe the ISU is even bothering to announce GP assignments now. Didn't they say a month ago that they wouldn't give assignments and skaters were free to go to the closest/local one? WTF

Maybe they've got skater's whishes via feds (like for example Chock/Bates were thinking to compete in SkAm and not SC)? So they can do an entry lists.

3 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

What's the Pure as Ice thing? 

It's an antidoping campaign by ISU, there's a e-course you can subscribe on their website(you have to register) + test(s) and then they give you a certificate:biggrin:

I actually signed for other courses too (there's one on pcs, not expecting it to be different from other stuff I've seen like that webinar for referees about common mistakes and the old ISU vids about components, but I want to have more material from the "official source"). I'm not planning on doing them soon though

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

I actually signed for other courses too (there's one on pcs, not expecting it to be different from other stuff I've seen like that webinar for referees about common mistakes and the old ISU vids about components, but I want to have more material from the "official source"). I'm not planning on doing them soon though

Are actual judges at international competitions, supposed to take this course on PCs?0:)

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Are actual judges at international competitions, supposed to take this course on PCs?0:)

:tumblr_inline_mn41rcGFcT1qz4rgp:

One would think that, being judges, they shouldn't need it...and yet...:tumblr_inline_mzx95p7TPv1r8msi5:

I think judges get different courses, though sometimes ISU uploads their training for judges and referees on their public YT channel (sometimes they are unlisted, so it's hard to find them) and it's stuff that us "mere" fans can easily understand (so it's not like judges are so super-advanced in their knowledge)

A pity that no training can possibly fix things, if there is no true will to truly "punish" those who keep scoring however the heck they want...