6 hours ago, Fay said:

Oh my God, Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya, who used to skate for Australia in pairs, fell out of a window in Moscow and passed away. She was 20. 
https://www.5-tv.ru/news/304355/figuristka-ekaterina-aleksandrovskaa-vypala-izokna/?fbclid=IwAR0WuIbbPCubqO6KxzD0C_ICjURenmj_SGTz14jwaFfTGe3NqH60yatRPEo

It seems to have been a suicide, she was depressed for a long time, they say. 
how devastating, my heart goes out to her family and friends. 

oh my god.......... she accomplished so many firsts in Australian figure skater. Still a baby :(

i'm so sorry, i hope her soul finds peace. condolences to her family. rest in peace. :smiley-sad058:

4 hours ago, Fay said:

Here the situation was dire: Katya is said to have been an only child, her father had died several years before. The pressure to be successful can prove too much and the feeling you let your mum down must be terrible. She's very unlucky that she had her injury this year, and transitioning to life after a competitive sport can be challenging at any point, but when this coincides with a pandemic and an economic slump and an effective demise of any entertainment business, it may prove crushing. I wish we did have some sort of services helping young people transition to a new phase of their lives. 

It's tragic no matter how you look at it. Her poor mother must be beside herself. 

34 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It's tragic no matter how you look at it. Her poor mother must be beside herself. 

The poor woman has been hospitalised with a shock. 
Rumours are that Katya has been depressed for quite some time and this wasn’t the first attempt to take her own life away. Unfortunately, as far as depressions and such mental diseases are concerned, the country is really backwater and such issues don’t often get addressed and dealt with. The stigma of having mental diseases is still here.  

so sad, she was so young.

1 hour ago, Fay said:

The poor woman has been hospitalised with a shock. 
Rumours are that Katya has been depressed for quite some time and this wasn’t the first attempt to take her own life away. Unfortunately, as far as depressions and such mental diseases are concerned, the country is really backwater and such issues don’t often get addressed and dealt with. The stigma of having mental diseases is still here.  

so sad, she was so young.

I keep 'liking ' these posts by habit but 'likes' feel wrong for such tragic news. I appreciate the information in your post. 

On 7/18/2020 at 3:28 PM, Fay said:

Here the situation was dire: Katya is said to have been an only child, her father had died several years before. The pressure to be successful can prove too much and the feeling you let your mum down must be terrible. She's very unlucky that she had her injury this year, and transitioning to life after a competitive sport can be challenging at any point, but when this coincides with a pandemic and an economic slump and an effective demise of any entertainment business, it may prove crushing. I wish we did have some sort of services helping young people transition to a new phase of their lives. 

I understood there was help, but she must have missed the steps since she was in Australia, and building her life there.

I don't know how it worked for her but I heard Australia could be quite harsh with non-national residents who fall ill, like her.

Hidehito Ito, chair of the Beijing 2022 measures project at the Japan Olympic Committee (JOC)

"If the test competition can not be done, I will ask China to do something. If you do not slip at once, you can not understand the atmosphere of the venue." Will China accept negotiations to use the Olympic venue? "The relationship between Japan and China (in the sports world) is not so bad now. Especially in skiing, Japanese leaders teach Chinese teams, and there is interaction. As a neighboring Asian country, we cooperate in all competitions. There is a possibility to do it."

The athletes are gradually resuming practice, but strengthening has been delayed. As Mr. Ito said, "In winter sports, there is a high proportion of training and training camps abroad." Figure skating affected choreography, slipping, skiing and other competitions. "I'm worried about strengthening that I can't see the future of travel. I'm asking the Sports Agency and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to make it possible to travel overseas and practice," he said.
Restrictions on travel and entry are related to the availability of domestic international competitions. “Foreign players participating in the tournament, domestic athletes practicing abroad, special rules when coming to Japan, PCR tests, negative certificates necessary for going abroad, etc. Last month I asked for it."

https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2020071600878&g=spo