2 hours ago, sweetwater said:

JGP Yokohama has been canceled due to the spread of coronavirus.

What a pity! They needed not accepting a wide audience but I hoped JGP organisers would manage to hold the events with skaters, coaches, staff well protected and a more local audience. This is not a good sign about JGP in general. I hope there will be a season at all.

3 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

What a pity! They needed not accepting a wide audience but I hoped JGP organisers would manage to hold the events with skaters, coaches, staff well protected and a more local audience. This is not a good sign about JGP in general. I hope there will be a season at all.

The internatioanl travel/quaratine comig and going may be the sticking point - that, and decisions of the local authorities to put locals before sports events. Not much can be done if they do.

Just now, TallyT said:

The internatioanl travel/quaratine comig and going may be the sticking point - that, and decisions of the local authorities to put locals before sports events. Not much can be done if they do.

Yes, they needed a special permission allowing foreign skaters and coaches a special quarantine, with assigned hotel(s) and secured practice and transits, which is far from being easy. Yet I hoped.

As two sources familiar with the situation told SE, it is highly probable that the ISU will not be able to hold any international competitions until the end of the year. The main obstacle is not even the coronavirus pandemic , but the legal norms that states have introduced to curb the spread of infection.

ISU is making efforts to find countries that are ready to accept competitions with open borders, but there is no certainty that all athletes will be able to come to them and return to their places. The Russian Figure Skating Federation has already notified Russian athletes that it is highly likely that the 2020/21 season will consist of the stages of the Russian Cup and the Russian Championship. Control rentals and special “challengeers” will also be held, but the season will be at least until the end of the year domestic. Sources estimate the likelihood of such an outcome at 80-90 percent.

https://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/mezhdunarodnye-sorevnovaniya-po-figurnomu-kataniyu-v-etom-godu-mogut-ne-sostoyatsya-rossiya-gotovitsya-k-kubku-i-chempionatu-strany-1688085/

2 hours ago, Paskud said:

sad but expected right?I'm still holding hope for next year ....maybe Europeans,4CC and Worlds(and nationals )

On 7/3/2020 at 7:40 AM, SitTwizzle said:

Yes, they needed a special permission allowing foreign skaters and coaches a special quarantine, with assigned hotel(s) and secured practice and transits, which is far from being easy. Yet I hoped.

Considering how difficult it has been for even huge pro sports to get it together and avoid people getting sick, international fs series involving many countries from multiple continents at different stages of the pandemic seems rather pie in the sky.  Two big feds, US and Russia, are not doing well pandemic-wise (esp the former afaik) atm and people here in Canada are hesitant about the NHL having hub cities here and are very skeptical indeed about baseball's hare-brained idea about shuttling NA teams to and fro across the border repeatedly.  "Yes, let's send a Canadian team to pandemic hot spots and then have them come back here over and over!  Whatever could go wrong?" /s  I'd personally be very disappointed with our federal public health team if they allowed that nonsense to happen.  And the first EF game involving the Vancouver team has already been postponed because people tested positive in FL. 

Considering the makeup of fs and its financial situation I doubt many feds would be able to afford sending/hosting teams for months in a foreign hub.  Pro sports that are flush with cash are going to be able to handle the financial strain better and pay for all the testing of everyone present.  NZ might be an ideal hub location, but why would they saddle themselves with hosting an unpopular international sport that might create a new outbreak?  China has the will and means to test and trace, but has in this case v understandably lost the trust of most other nations considering the damaging secrecy at the beginning of the pandemic.  SK did a great job with 4CC but the past financial problems of the fed might mean it can't handle what would be a much bigger event without a v big financial outlay.  Japan fed might be able to pull it off financially, but Japan is known to have poor testing and tracing capacity (unless things have changed recently) and is widely suspected of minimizing cases in the run-up to Olys.   The US can't be trusted and really should not be thinking of sports when the outlook in much of the nation is looking poor.  Canada has a mixed pandemic record and might be an ok compromise, but I bet we'd need serious $$$$ to host a big series and that would not be a great look if much gov't $$$$ was spent on it.  And we already are sticking out our neck for more popular sports.  BC might be too strict to accept the ISU; they already said no to the NHL.  ON has its hands full with NHL and Maybe MLB.  Not sure if QU is in a good position to host but iirc they have a better testing/tracing system than ON. Still, I'm not sure ppl would esp trust the combo of US and other foreign feds.

Depending on what happens in the fall it might be fine for at least one championship to happen, since it would be much shorter than a series.  But even then much prep time would be needed for an isolation period and then weeks of training to make up for the break.  Not that I'd trust Sweden to keep people safe after they royally mucked up their response.  I'm certainly not going to even ask my immune-compromised spouse re: considering a ticket to an event in a nation with a poor track record that will force us to eat the costs if Worlds is cancelled.  Honestly, fans should not be permitted to attend indoor sports events before a vaccine has been rolled out to most of a host country's population. 

When it comes to sports & events, it would be better if competitions are held implementing social distancing & temperature checks till the end of 2020.

The Covid 19 situation is better in Asia countries cos 1) we had it 1st, 2) most implemented more strict control measures than Europe or North America.

I'm from SouthEast Asia, cinemas in my country are allowed to open since 1 July. With social distancing between seats(marked X) like the pic in this news article :

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/07/605591/crowds-slowly-returning-cinemas-says-gsc-rep

So, if cinemas are allowed to have audiences then so should stadium, with proper social distancing. There is not going to be that many audience anyway compared to before Covid 19.

Borders in Asia countries have started to open for foreigners from selected countries. Foreign investor need to be attracted to come back, tourism industry needs a kick start. All helps to revive a country's economy. The governments need the taxes to pay for expenses.

So, unless its a rich 1st World country, we in Asia are opening borders.

19 часов назад, Paskud сказал:

It will be sad more so with the uncertainty what will happen next year. Not only for fans but for a lot of skaters too. It's one thing to miss one GP season, but without international competitions at least next year I wonder how long sports can hold on.

Until we know for sure Citizen has withdrawn from among the sponsors and the reason for withdrawing, I don’t think we should jump to conclusions. Unless we just joke about them. 
I think it has more to do with economy now. Everyone has to cut the costs now.