1 час назад, sweetwater сказал:

In my country, re-opened movie theaters are blocking seats like this to keep the distance between the audience. We will see if this is effective or not...

They plan smth like this here later too, though I wonder if it's effective, cuz distance seems to be smaller then 1.5-2m and people are in the closed space anyway. I've heard they wanted smth like this for air planes, but maybe decided against it in the end, cuz it's even more ridiculous (I think to include at least N95 mask at the price of a plane ticket will be more effective).

11 hours ago, Lunna said:

It's still kinda hard if you know there's one more chance to see Yuzu. But good lesson from Montreal - don't buy all-event at least close to the short side cuz view can be just blocked. I wish they would sell all event without Gala like in Japan.

I guess the reference was that NHL has some kind of awards. But it's not during match and NHL is in another league in terms of money. I only wonder how he convinced ISU to pay for the event.

Yeah, the NHL has an awards banquet which is a big fancy black-tie affair, generally not held in an arena, and usually those attending are all NHL players or staff and their families, plus some journalists. The NHL also does not dupe unsuspecting members of the general public into buying tickets for said awards banquet. 

Also, I think what we can assume from the Montreal situation was that, in fact, the medalists probably weren't going to be performing after all. So the gala being one more chance to see Yuzu is cast into doubt from now on, for as long as the ISU wants to cling to this awards show idea.  I think that would be enough to keep me away from any such event. 

I understand wanting to see Yuzu one last time before the end of the season (although next year there's gonna be the dreaded WTT........if events are held at all, of course). But...yeah, I think I may not purchase gala tickets, or may only purchase them when it's announced that Yuzu will participate. 

I can't really imagine Yuzu not participating though, he's literally 99% of the draw of watching the gala?? It'll make it much easier for Zakarian to sell his award tickets :rolleyes:

In fact, I don't think I'll go for all event tickets any longer. not only do you not even get good picks at the seats (thinking of this year's ticketing fiasco), they don't even make it subtle that they're trying to rob Yuzu fans. I'll probably purchase second hand tickets and only for the men's events + practices or something. 

39 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I understand wanting to see Yuzu one last time before the end of the season (although next year there's gonna be the dreaded WTT........if events are held at all, of course). But...yeah, I think I may not purchase gala tickets, or may only purchase them when it's announced that Yuzu will participate. 

I can't really imagine Yuzu not participating though, he's literally 99% of the draw of watching the gala?? It'll make it much easier for Zakarian to sell his award tickets :rolleyes:

In fact, I don't think I'll go for all event tickets any longer. not only do you not even get good picks at the seats (thinking of this year's ticketing fiasco), they don't even make it subtle that they're trying to rob Yuzu fans. I'll probably purchase second hand tickets and only for the men's events + practices or something. 

Ditto. For the GP series, all-events might still be worthwhile, but anything as expensive as World's, I'm going to go with single-event tix or resale from now on

12 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Also, I think what we can assume from the Montreal situation was that, in fact, the medalists probably weren't going to be performing after all. So the gala being one more chance to see Yuzu is cast into doubt from now on, for as long as the ISU wants to cling to this awards show idea.  I think that would be enough to keep me away from any such event. 

the medalists were going to perform, they kept repeating it over and over when they were doing damage control 

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

the medalists were going to perform, they kept repeating it over and over when they were doing damage control 

I know that's what they said. It's just that I myself don't trust them any more and I think they were lying when they said that. 

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

But performing what, on 2/3 of the rink, and warned so little time before? He is a skaters' agent, and doesn't know an exhibition program have to be prepared? That a choreographer must conceive it, be paid (here, only for one event), the skater learn it...? That was all ridiculous. And that "crowd bath"!

2 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Not sure if this has been shared before but there is a petition for fairer scoring for FS! 

Hopefully, it will make a difference to giving all skaters fairer scores and preserve the integrity of the sport!

I can translate to French, if needed to (broken) Spanish or Portuguese, but I am the worst dummy at social media, indeed I have no account. And I have no skating fan friend (though a close relative, when I wrote her about technical considerations regarding figure skating but in broader terms, told me she knew a French federal judge, at a lower level of course).

Is there anything I can do? How?

Here is a draft for a translation from English to French (as I don't read Japanese), it is not literal as I tried to convey the meaning I perceived and to write in a rather formal language. And I didn't understand the English/skating meaning of the part in bold, so this I translated rather literally.

Also, I noticed probable little mistakes in the English version, such as reply for replay (twice).

Justice pour tous les patineurs artistiques

Pour une amélioration du système de notation

Destinataires : Union internationale de Patinage (UIP, ISU) et Comité international olympique (CIO, IOC)

Région : Monde

Nous vous prions instamment d'améliorer le système de notation des compétitions de patinage artistique, en installant un nombre suffisant de caméras vidéo et en rendant publiques les informations relatives aux décisions de notation, assorties des éléments matériels correspondants; et d'envisager sérieusement la mise en place d'un système gyroscopique/d'intelligence artificielle dans un avenir proche.

Le système de notation des patineurs artistiques peut prêter à controverse, car il se base sur une unique caméra de télévision en circuit fermé et sur les yeux humains, qui peuvent manquer de précision. Les patineurs n'ont pas le droit de contester les décisions.

Néanmoins, ces décisions, qui peuvent être erronées ou imprécises, affectent de manière significative les résultats des compétitions, et font l'objet de nombreuses critiques par les media et sur les réseaux sociaux, donnant lieu à des débats où sont envisagés des théories conspirationnistes, du racisme, des partis-pris voire de la corruption.

La carre (edge) des sauts et le nombre de leurs rotations sont particulièrement difficiles à déterminer, alors qu'il s'agit des éléments majeurs permettant de remporter une compétition.

Les nouvelles technologies les calculent précisément, en quelques secondes, là où une personne a besoin de temps pour repérer tous les détails.

La notation technique, liée à la qualité des sauts, devrait dépendre d'une technologie avancée, et non d'humains.

Les juges ne disposent pas des ralentis (ce n'inclut pas nécessairement les juges techniques), de plus nous savons qu'il est impossible de toujours voir les carres à l'œil nu.

La mise en place d'une telle technologie peut prendre des années mais ajouter des caméras et des écrans ne nécessiterait pas des efforts démesurés. La communication des notes avec les éléments matériels correspondants, aiderait les athlètes et leurs entraîneurs à corriger leurs erreurs, alors que les notations erronées plongent tout le monde dans la confusion et peuvent causer une perte de motivation, et de confiance dans l'Union internationale de Patinage.

Les patineurs consentent les efforts les plus intenses en vue de gains de l'ordre d'un dixième de point par jour, et ces progrès sont reconnus et appréciés par un nombre incalculable d'amateurs de patinage dans le monde entier.

N.B. : Comme notre unique objectif est de contribuer au bonheur des patineurs, nous n'approuvons pas le fait de brandir des panonceaux "Unfair Judgment" ("Jugement inique") lors d'une compétition, car cela peut gêner amateurs et compétiteurs et les rendre malheureux.

Nous, soussignés, en appelons à l'Union internationale du Patinage et au Comité international olympique pour améliorer le système de notation des compétitions de patinage artistique, en installant plus de caméras vidéo, en fournissant les ralentis à tous les juges et en utilisant une technologie plus avancée; ainsi qu'en communiquant publiquement les éléments matériels relatifs aux décisions de notation afin d'assurer transparence et équité envers tous les patineurs.

19 минут назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

But performing what, on 2/3 of the rink, and warned so little time before? He is a skaters' agent, and doesn't know an exhibition program have to be prepared? That a choreographer must conceive it, be paid (here, only for one event), the skater learn it...? That was all ridiculous. And that "crowd bath"!

A lot of skaters skate their numbers at shows on the smaller ice, so it's not like they need new choreo and it's not like many put a lot of thought into EX numbers (if we're talking generally and not about Yuzu).

15 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I really want to go next year to worlds,but I agree I'll try with single events tickets and see if iìm lucky enough!

23 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I can translate to French, if needed to (broken) Spanish or Portuguese, but I am the worst dummy at social media, indeed I have no account. And I have no skating fan friend (though a close relative, when I wrote her about technical considerations regarding figure skating but in broader terms, told me she knew a French federal judge, at a lower level of course).

Is there anything I can do? How?

Here is a draft for a translation from English to French (as I don't read Japanese), it is not literal as I tried to convey the meaning I perceived and to write in a rather formal language. And I didn't understand the English/skating meaning of the part in bold, so this I translated rather literally.

Also, I noticed probable little mistakes in the English version, such as reply for replay (twice).

Justice pour tous les patineurs artistiques

Pour une amélioration du système de notation

Destinataires : Union internationale de Patinage (UIP, ISU) et Comité international olympique (CIO, IOC)

Région : Monde

Nous vous prions instamment d'améliorer le système de notation des compétitions de patinage artistique, en installant un nombre suffisant de caméras vidéo et en rendant publiques les informations relatives aux décisions de notation, assorties des éléments matériels correspondants; et d'envisager sérieusement la mise en place d'un système gyroscopique/d'intelligence artificielle dans un avenir proche.

Le système de notation des patineurs artistiques peut prêter à controverse, car il se base sur une unique caméra de télévision en circuit fermé et sur les yeux humains, qui peuvent manquer de précision. Les patineurs n'ont pas le droit de contester les décisions.

Néanmoins, ces décisions, qui peuvent être erronées ou imprécises, affectent de manière significative les résultats des compétitions, et font l'objet de nombreuses critiques par les media et sur les réseaux sociaux, donnant lieu à des débats où sont envisagés des théories conspirationnistes, du racisme, des partis-pris voire de la corruption.

La carre (edge) des sauts et le nombre de leurs rotations sont particulièrement difficiles à déterminer, alors qu'il s'agit des éléments majeurs permettant de remporter une compétition.

Les nouvelles technologies les calculent précisément, en quelques secondes, là où une personne a besoin de temps pour repérer tous les détails.

La notation technique, liée à la qualité des sauts, devrait dépendre d'une technologie avancée, et non d'humains.

Les juges ne disposent pas des ralentis (ce n'inclut pas nécessairement les juges techniques), de plus nous savons qu'il est impossible de toujours voir les carres à l'œil nu.

La mise en place d'une telle technologie peut prendre des années mais ajouter des caméras et des écrans ne nécessiterait pas des efforts démesurés. La communication des notes avec les éléments matériels correspondants, aiderait les athlètes et leurs entraîneurs à corriger leurs erreurs, alors que les notations erronées plongent tout le monde dans la confusion et peuvent causer une perte de motivation, et de confiance dans l'Union internationale de Patinage.

Les patineurs consentent les efforts les plus intenses en vue de gains de l'ordre d'un dixième de point par jour, et ces progrès sont reconnus et appréciés par un nombre incalculable d'amateurs de patinage dans le monde entier.

N.B. : Comme notre unique objectif est de contribuer au bonheur des patineurs, nous n'approuvons pas le fait de brandir des panonceaux "Unfair Judgment" ("Jugement inique") lors d'une compétition, car cela peut gêner amateurs et compétiteurs et les rendre malheureux.

Nous, soussignés, en appelons à l'Union internationale du Patinage et au Comité international olympique pour améliorer le système de notation des compétitions de patinage artistique, en installant plus de caméras vidéo, en fournissant les ralentis à tous les juges et en utilisant une technologie plus avancée; ainsi qu'en communiquant publiquement les éléments matériels relatifs aux décisions de notation afin d'assurer transparence et équité envers tous les patineurs.

Thank you SitTwizzle for taking so much time and effort to translate such a lengthy document, you’re too kind! Just yeah not sure where to post that too...

54 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Thank you SitTwizzle for taking so much time and effort to translate such a lengthy document, you’re too kind! Just yeah not sure where to post that too...

You're welcome!

Plus, Union internationale de patinage (instead of du) by the end, a stupid mistake.

I think it should be re-read by another person.

So, you don't know who could add languages to the petition, or join petitions in different languages?

One thing I found about this petition, is its focus on jumps, but having a whole tech panel busy at 80% counting revolutions in spins is hardly better. I think new technologies could do a lot about spins too.

And speaking of Yuzuru Hanyu, he loses a good deal of GOEs on his wonderful spins, I don't see why.