4 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Do you think this was a good rule?

Look, I don't like him or his skating, but he's recently medaled at worlds in Japan, won WTT in Japan, and is co-coached by someone Japanese. I have absolutely no clue why the Japanese media focuses so much on foreign skaters, but it's hardly breaking pattern.

I'm probably just hyper-annoyed at the building up of US skaters that's happening right now, but sure they're free to write articles on any skater. Just don't plaster a title above it calling him a potential rival to Yuzu. Sensationalized journalism has always existed I know, but I don't have to like it 😔

1 minute ago, katonice said:

I'm probably just hyper-annoyed at the building up of US skaters that's happening right now, but sure they're free to write articles on any skater. Just don't plaster a title above it calling him a potential rival to Yuzu. Sensationalized journalism has always existed I know, but I don't have to like it 😔

OK, but he IS a potential rival to Yuzuru. If you ignore the details of "why" his score was that high -- and it's not even journalistic freedom, if the judges gave him that score -- then he is indeed contending.

Good or not isn’t the point, the point is that because America had egg on its face after hyping Nathan so hard only for him to predictably fold under such extreme pressure, they instead pushed the idea that if those who fell on quads were penalised more, America would have a medal. It was pushed hard and parroted back by people who don’t follow or understand figure skating and probably only watched Adam’s performance on YouTube after getting patriotically outraged on Twitter.

Now we see the progression from “it’s not UR, it’s the crappy equipment!” to “it’s not UR, it’s ballerina ankles!” to “it’s not UR, he’s trained for a few weeks with a Japanese coach and has magically fixed his technique which wasn’t even a problem in the first place because A and B” and now we’re at “eh, so what if it’s UR? Here, have some more points.”

They shouldn’t have this much power when they can’t even fill 50% of seats for an ice show in a small venue.

13 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

OK, but he IS a potential rival to Yuzuru. If you ignore the details of "why" his score was that high -- and it's not even journalistic freedom, if the judges gave him that score -- then he is indeed contending.

Of course there is logic, and that's what I'm pissed off about. That it has gotten to this point that we're seeing articles like this now. We shouldn't be, but there it is, and from a Japanese news outlet too, not even an American one. 

9 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Good or not isn’t the point, the point is that because America had egg on its face after hyping Nathan so hard only for him to predictably fold under such extreme pressure, they instead pushed the idea that if those who fell on quads were penalised more, America would have a medal.

Really? Because the push for reduced scores on quad falls was in demand by several fans - not just American fans - much before Pyeongchang. Remember how Chan beat Takahashi in 2012 worlds? Or how Chan fans were salty about Yuzuru winning Sochi with two falls? Ashley Wagner feeling "gypped" at Sochi? Russian fans complaining about Kostner's scores? People joking about Kolyada's opening 4Lz fall?

I have no clue whatsoever if Rippon hat anything to do with it. But the rule itself had been a long time coming. And might I remind you, the scales of values and the proposal for +5 GOEs and the idea for "radical changes" was out before PC.

Of all the things to change, after all the criticisms over the past season. This just stinks. Whether or not it makes much difference, it just stinks.

@hoodie axel Yes, really. He hit the talk show circuit after PC and it was raised over and over again by the hosts with no clarification from Adam that it would have made 0 difference to his chances to be on the podium. The Twitter storms were huge. The comments section under news articles as well.

Then he retired to be a celebrity so that was fun.

Zhou is not the only one who benefit from raise BV for UR. Satoko, Alina, Shoma, Junhwan... all have UR issue. The main thing is always selective UR/edge calls.

Next season, a 4lz< with -2GOE is gonna score higher than 3lz +2GOE. Two clean jumps in SEQ have the same BV as two UR jump done seperately. Nice to see this is the way ISU reward qualities. 

28 minutes ago, Katt said:

Two clean jumps in SEQ have the same BV as two UR jump done seperately.

Did they redefine sequences, at least? From being able to do only +Axels to whatever they want? I miss the +step+toeloops/salchows. +Axels are also harder than any +toeloop or +loop combination...

46 minutes ago, Katt said:

Zhou is not the only one who benefit from raise BV for UR. Satoko, Alina, Shoma, Junhwan... all have UR issue. The main thing is always selective UR/edge calls.

Next season, a 4lz< with -2GOE is gonna score higher than 3lz +2GOE. Two clean jumps in SEQ have the same BV as two UR jump done seperately. Nice to see this is the way ISU reward qualities. 

I feel for those who underotate rarely.

1 hour ago, Katt said:

It feels like a move closer to the 6.0 era, when you could underrotate all you want and it wouldn't affect your score. 

Someone mentioned that maybe it was the coaches who complained to the ISU. Yeah I can imagine them arguing why does UR matter so much as long as it looks like you landed the jumps, just like in the "good ol' days" 

I'm ok with URs being less heavily penalized if they call them more consistently (big if lol). It's kind of ridiculous how much a skater's score can change not because of their own performance but because of their luck with the tech panels. Honestly calling URs shouldn't even be up to human beings, I'm sure engineers could come up with perfectly serviceable technology that could automatically do it. But I doubt the ISU is interested in funding such a thing.

He's funny (not). An adequate response would be to improve the training of the tech panel and the technology assistance (number/angles of replays & possibly new technologies like many other sports have developed, at least for the big competitions). But no. Instead, let's just erase the marks of poor technique. Problem solved. ISU logic 101.

I can't decide if it's because of certain known male skaters or because they want to create a big hype for the women "quad" era coming :14066882: