I'm really sad for Loena.... especially because of the reason, it sounds like some serious problem:tumblr_inline_mzx91uuLRI1r8msi5: I hope she'll be healthy enough to resume training and go to Worlds:fingerscrossed:

Euro ladies fight for podium doesn't look too thrilling at the moment, I think I'll root for Sofia + Alexia to have stong skates... weird that Men's field looks deeper at the moment, with multiple medal contenders, with (i think) similar BV and GOE and PCS potential (of course if Javi can land his stuff I expect him to have a comfortable lead but I don't want to take anything for granted:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg: and the rest of the podium is wiiiiiiide open)... I'm mainly rootin for Javi to be able to say goodbye to competitions in the best way (tho ngl I'd celebrate a Misha European Champion too) and that Michal, Misha and Kevin will do well. Tho I feel Kovtun might be the biggest surprise (or maybe not so big, given two consecutive strong results). I still can't bring myself to root for him:sad4: (sadly his SP is exactly the type of program that makes me majorly zone out:13877886: the FS is a bit better for me, despite the Carmen conspiracy from russian skaters this season:10814716:)

I think the Pairs field is gonna be interesting with T/M vs J/C (I'm really sad that Z/E had to WD tho, I've developed a huge soft spot for their weird dramatic programs and I'll miss them a lot) and ID will be P/C vs Russian teams... crossing fingers for S/B to get the levels and a nice medal...I suppose the fight will be for silver and bronze but don't want to jinx P/C as I've jinxed them in the GPFinal predictions:facepalm: what has this season done to me?:gaah:

I guess 4CC will more lit for ladies and maybe a bit less for men (I guess it's gonna be like last season Boyang vs Shoma and apparently Shoma's pattern in previous 4CCs would see him finlly getting gold, thus breaking his major-comps-silver curse :mischief:  tho two times 4cc champion Boyang Jin has a nice sound too :67638860:

WAIT maybe Keegan will go too...? WAIT JUNHWAN COULD GO THERE too? gotta check the korean skaters thread kinda forgot there are other Nats after JpnNats and RusNats ended:headdesk: oh whoa US Nats and Canadian nats still have to happen too... ok then I take back what I've said about men being less lit. And of course Kazuki will skate there so while I'll not hold my breath for a medal I'll root extra hard for him:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Looking forward to all Chinese pairs and I expect also Ryom/Kim who hopefully won't be robbed... and hopefully many strong contenders in ID too... I guess the strongest teams will be from USA but maybe G/P will go there too...I'd LOVE any competition with both C/B and G/P :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Ok it definitely looks like 4CC will be the competition I'll look forward the most this time:smiley-happy093: well of course Worlds is the competition I really truly look forward to the most, but tbh every competition where Yuzuru is able to show up is the comp I look forward the most regardless of the rest of the fields:winky:

edited for wistful thinking

I has forgotten Sota was only a substitute for 4CC:sigh:

On 1/13/2019 at 8:18 PM, LadyLou said:

I'm really sad for Loena.... especially because of the reason, it sounds like some serious problem:tumblr_inline_mzx91uuLRI1r8msi5: I hope she'll be healthy enough to resume training and go to Worlds:fingerscrossed:

Euro ladies fight for podium doesn't look too thrilling at the moment, I think I'll root for Sofia + Alexia to have stong skates... weird that Men's field looks deeper at the moment, with multiple medal contenders, with (i think) similar BV and GOE and PCS potential (of course if Javi can land his stuff I expect him to have a comfortable lead but I don't want to take anything for granted:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg: and the rest of the podium is wiiiiiiide open)... I'm mainly rootin for Javi to be able to say goodbye to competitions in the best way (tho ngl I'd celebrate a Misha European Champion too) and that Michal, Misha and Kevin will do well. Tho I feel Kovtun might be the biggest surprise (or maybe not so big, given two consecutive strong results). I still can't bring myself to root for him:sad4: (sadly his SP is exactly the type of program that makes me majorly zone out:13877886: the FS is a bit better for me, despite the Carmen conspiracy from russian skaters this season:10814716:)

I think the Pairs field is gonna be interesting with T/M vs J/C (I'm really sad that Z/E had to WD tho, I've developed a huge soft spot for their weird dramatic programs and I'll miss them a lot) and ID will be P/C vs Russian teams... crossing fingers for S/B to get the levels and a nice medal...I suppose the fight will be for silver and bronze but don't want to jinx P/C as I've jinxed them in the GPFinal predictions:facepalm: what has this season done to me?:gaah:

I guess 4CC will more lit for ladies and maybe a bit less for men (I guess it's gonna be like last season Boyang vs Shoma and apparently Shoma's pattern in previous 4CCs would see him finlly getting gold, thus breaking his major-comps-silver curse :mischief:  tho two times 4cc champion Boyang Jin has a nice sound too :67638860:

WAIT maybe Keegan will go too...? WAIT JUNHWAN COULD GO THERE too? gotta check the korean skaters thread kinda forgot there are other Nats after JpnNats and RusNats ended:headdesk: oh whoa US Nats and Canadian nats still have to happen too... ok then I take back what I've said about men being less lit. And of course Kazuki will skate there so while I'll not hold my breath for a medal I'll root extra hard for him:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Looking forward to all Chinese pairs and I expect also Ryom/Kim who hopefully won't be robbed... and hopefully many strong contenders in ID too... I guess the strongest teams will be from USA but maybe G/P will go there too...I'd LOVE any competition with both C/B and G/P :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Ok it definitely looks like 4CC will be the competition I'll look forward the most this time:smiley-happy093: well of course Worlds is the competition I really truly look forward to the most, but tbh every competition where Yuzuru is able to show up is the comp I look forward the most regardless of the rest of the fields:winky:

edited for wistful thinking

I has forgotten Sota was only a substitute for 4CC:sigh:

The ladies field at Europeans is not that exciting this season, it's always a bit like at the first Europeans this after Olympics, there area retirements, injuries or some skaters are not in their best form, this year four out of Top 6 at Europeans '18 won't be there (Zhenya, Carolina, Sotskova and Loena). But I hope that we'll see some good skates and maybe some surprising results - most likely not in the Top 3 but somewhere in Top 10. This season it'll be really easier to get into the Top 10 and secure two spots for next year's Europeans.

The men's field is more interesting and unpredictable, I hope we'll see an exciting competition!:cheer: I hope Javi can skate two programs which he'll be satisfied with. Then the three Russians will have a good chance for the podium and there's Michal, too who can score high if he skates clean. And it'll be interesting to see how others like Kevin, Deniss, Moris, the Italians etc will skate too and who can finish higher in the Top 10.

In ID I don't think anyone can get close to P/C unless something bad happens to them but hopefully it won't. There's going to be a fight between the Russians for the silver and bronze medals. And in pairs it's going to be interesting if J/C can win this competition too or T/M will be better than them.

I agree about 4CC, I am looking forward to it more too. The ladies field will be good and the men's are going to be exciting as well. I'd love to see Boyang skate well (I'm more hopeful after his skates at Nationals, he's a slow starter usually). Jun will be there too. I hope all these competitions won't be too much for him before Worlds. 

On 1/10/2019 at 5:03 AM, airi said:

I kinda hoping for surprise from Kevin Aymoz... Also I so want Javi to win his last competition I'll be more nervous for him than for Yuzu...

I'm hoping Mikhail does well, just because he's been dumped on so hard for the rough season he's had... but I don't want anyone to beat Javi.  I really really really want his last competition to be golden....

(and then for him to be at next years Fantasy on Ice with Yuzu, especially in Sendai)

Interview with Alexander Majorov - "The technical score should be technical and not subjective"

http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2019alexandermajorov

Q: There was something I was thinking about with the developments of the quads and then even more quads. It makes you start worrying about the younger athletes jumping quads a million times a day and the toll it takes…

Majorov: But it gets easier. I mean, first they talked that way about the triple Axel and now the triple Axel is like pfff. It's the way of training those jumps. I think the best way is to keep the quads down, but like I also said in the press conference, remove the plus GOE, because the plus zone is so subjective. Take a good skater who jumps doubles, and one who does triples. The one with the triples gets plus 1 or 2, the one with the doubles gets plus 5, so the one with the doubles wins. It's crazy, a double jump should not be worth more than a triple with plus! So it should be zero for a clean jump and minus 3. Let's say a turn is minus 1, a step out is minus 2. A really bad jump with a step-out and a fall is minus 3. It needs to be exact, it doesn't matter how high you fly or how good a jump is, a step-out will always be a step-out, no matter what. It should be clear, because that's the technical score. The technical score should be technical, not subjective.  
Right now when I watch skating, I don't feel like a figure skater because I can not predict who is going to be first, I am just sitting there like 'I don't know, how could she be first'? I don't understand, and that's because of the minus and plus. I hope they will remove it next year. Or they will go higher, I don't know. (laughs)  

Q: And you don't get descriptions for when it's a plus 1 or plus 3, or..?

Majorov: No. I should probably have some idea, but I don't. I feel like a beginner right now, I just do my stuff and then wait for the scores. I would like to understand who is winning when I watch the ladies, but it's like watching ice dance for me; I don't understand it. As a skater I should have some idea! I can count the level of the spins, but for the rest I don't know how it's going to be judged.

There should be a difference in GOE when they judge the quality between a so-so jump and an excellent one and it should be judged fairly but I agree when he says that it shouldn't be subjective and that he criticizes the current judging. Most problems are not the rules but how the judges use them. Removing +5 GOE or make a higher scale wouldn't solve the main problem imo.

Lol, Sasha, no :laughing: The rules are not the problem here, and even if they were changed that way I can guarantee you still wouldn't understand the scores.

Also, "doesn't matter how high you fly etc" is a big no for me. Sorry, it does matter to me. The quality matters, and not only if it's bad.

But I guess this discussion is never-ending story :laughing:

The issue has always been how the rules are applied. I know what he's saying is probably that due to the rules not being applied objectively, the subjectivity is making things muddy, not clearer. So what started as helping ensure everyone is on the same starting line, is not working out.

I don't think that the GOE bullet points should be taken out, but rather than a separate more objective panel that is not obligated to any country's federation should be making the calls on GOEs. Or at the very least, GOE bullets should be reviewed and judges need to defend their bullets. Yes, for a group of volunteers that might seem harsh, but until it's done, there is going to be far too little consistencny on GOE judging.  Some variation could occur, but less than say 1/3 a panel giving a +1, 1/3 giving it a +4/5, and another 1/3 giving 0 and -1. Well....if a jump has been that controversial, some medium must be reached, and it should not be "everyone gets free candies/ lowering the bar" type of standard. Truth is, most skater's jumps are in the +2 range, very few are in the +4/5 range, and know what, that's what is intended. That's how you should be rewarding excellence.

I think tech such as ice scope is a move in the right direction- it's easier to see what is considered "average" jump since now you could data plot jumps' height/distance.

As for whether that is too much data and not "skating" anymore. Well, why is it not? The idea of have a technical component and an artistic component has always existed. And it would at least force the two to be separated. No one said a skater who has smaller jumps is less artistic. The winner for FS events has always come down to a) who makes the least mistakes; b) who is the most balanced between the two areas of skating.