4 hours ago, MrPudding said:

. . . Why does this make me nervous and put me in mind of nefarious schemes?

Like logically I know it's probably more logistics then anything else, but a part of me has this sneaking suspicion born of distrust of the ISU

6 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

. . . Why does this make me nervous and put me in mind of nefarious schemes?

Like logically I know it's probably more logistics then anything else, but a part of me has this sneaking suspicion born of distrust of the ISU

I am not worried about Yuzu anymore, because I feel that judges, even under the current system, do not really follow their own scoring system. Nor am I that worried about assignment neither. I am mostly worried about the lack of mathematical skills of those ISU folks, they seem to hit the wall with just the basics. Um, really worried ... if they can get two digit addition/subtraction right, I guess assignment will come out in one piece.

4 hours ago, micaelis said:

Jump Sequences: a proposed new definition: a jump sequence consists of 2 (two) jumps of any number of revolutions, beginning with any jump, immediately followed by an Axel type jump with a direct step from the landing curve of the first jump to the take-off curve of the Axel jump.

Am I reading this correctly?  Does this mean that the second element in a jump sequence MUST be an Axel?  Above is a cut-and-paste directly from the ISU website.  If this is what it seems to say jump sequences are about to become theoretically very very difficult, with Yuzu the only one who can go into a 3A directly the only one who can benefit from it (recognizing that there are two easier Axel jumps before you get to a 3A).  If this is the case there are going to be a lot of skaters (meaning, like ALL of them) and their coaches rethinking how to handle jump combinations.

You are confusing jump sequences with combinations. Axel sequences have always been around, some ladies do them, actually. You just only get 70% of the points for both jumps so they don’t always make sense to use in layouts. (I am not sure if that changed as I haven‘t been able to look through the new proposed rules beyond the BV assigned to the 4A to spare my nerves) 

59 minutes ago, robin said:

You are confusing jump sequences with combinations. Axel sequences have always been around, some ladies do them, actually. You just only get 70% of the points for both jumps so they don’t always make sense to use in layouts. (I am not sure if that changed as I haven‘t been able to look through the new proposed rules beyond the BV assigned to the 4A to spare my nerves) 

Thank you for the correction.  I wasn't sure I was reading things rightly.  That's why I pasted in the original text.

5 minutes ago, Smultron said:

I'm kind of late, but I need to scream about the layback spin, it is so pretty and all I ever wanted but never dared to really hope for aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :13877886:

Morrrrreeeee of that layback please :bow:

Bringing from the FaOI Thread in case its too OT. 

I wonder whether it's worth him including it in his spins for competition? I confess I still don't fully understand how to "grade" spins.... It truly is really beautiful, but I wonder why he doesn't normally use it?

Just now, OonsieHui said:

Bringing from the FaOI Thread in case its too OT. 

I wonder whether it's worth him including it in his spins for competition? I confess I still don't fully understand how to "grade" spins.... It truly is really beautiful, but I wonder why he doesn't normally use it?

I am joining the question because my spin levels identifying skills are nonexistent :biggrin:

1 hour ago, OonsieHui said:

Low BV in the older values. 

Layback wasn't allowed for men in the SP, I think, and in the free, most just do Flying Camels, Flying Sits, CCoSp, FCCoSp etc.

22 minutes ago, xeyra said:

He could probably use the layback as a position in the combo spin, though. 

Yes, as variation for upright spin, right? Usually he does biellmann as hard variation for upright though, right?

I guess, IF he drops he Biellmann, he would logically do that instead. But I'm not so sure he is dropping it. His back shows no problems whatsoever, thank the Gods. He will still be flexible as a noodle at 50, probably. 

28 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

He already uses a Biellmann to get a level 4 in his CCoSp4. Maybe he can. I prefer his crossfoot upright (?) though.

(coming from a place of extreme ignorance so please teach me!!) Can't he do a layback into an Biellmann? I literally thought thats what he was going to do in that vid... the moves seemed like it would flow so nicely. 

27 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

(coming from a place of extreme ignorance so please teach me!!) Can't he do a layback into an Biellmann? I literally thought thats what he was going to do in that vid... the moves seemed like it would flow so nicely. 

He could do it. But I don't think his Biellmann is too good either. The level 4 requirements cause men to make some unfortunate choices. 

4 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

Layback into haircutter into Biellman is possible, but I'm not sure he's that flexible. His Biellman tends to lose a lot of speed, and if he's going to add more difficult positions to the spin, he'll probably need to work on it for a while. Depending on how long it takes, it might not be worth it. I'm not too knowledgeable on spin technique, though, so take this with a grain of salt.