Hey guys, still kinda new here and to skating in general, but there's a question that's been nagging me. Why is it impossible for adult or teen beginners to land triples? I completely understand that even most kids won't land triples or even doubles, but everyone says it's IMPOSSIBLE for an adult even if the correct amount of work is put in. Say an adult has time, money and a strong and flexible body, does the answer change? And if not, why? Don't be afraid to get technical aha

2 hours ago, Yuzuspiration said:

Hey guys, still kinda new here and to skating in general, but there's a question that's been nagging me. Why is it impossible for adult or teen beginners to land triples? I completely understand that even most kids won't land triples or even doubles, but everyone says it's IMPOSSIBLE for an adult even if the correct amount of work is put in. Say an adult has time, money and a strong and flexible body, does the answer change? And if not, why? Don't be afraid to get technical aha

Welcome to the planet!!

This is an interesting read that doesn't even talk about adult skaters and only distinguishes between competitive and recreational skaters: http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/TimingOfSkillAcquisition.html

Hmm I watch alot of adult skaters on the internet and I rarely see any good doubles that have a tight enough air position. They're usually barely landed by force. Sometimes it's hard to understand because when doubles are done right they look so easy! I think people who do gymnastics or dance, especially ballet, have better chances eg. this guy does a decent 2A in this video and he's an adult skater afaik. (I have this blurry memory of videos of him working on triples but the videos are gone and I'm startng to think I might have imagined them. that account is a bit nsfw, btw.) It just seems like there needs to be a certain body build and awareness that is attained from a young age to be able to have decent doubles, let alone triples. I wouldn't say it's absolutely impossible to land triples as an adult skater with the right genetics and body awareness and, most importanlty, the right coaching but it's extremely rare and difficult.

There are no skaters with triple jumps at my FS club even though they all have been skating competitively since they were young because there are no coaches who can train these kids properly. Some of the skaters in the most advanced group only do singles, even. It's so funny because, I , the adult skater who started at 26, do dream of a 2S lol

Also, we have an adult skater thread and you're welcome to post there if you skate yourself:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

53 minutes ago, robin said:

Welcome to the planet!!

This is an interesting read that doesn't even talk about adult skaters and only distinguishes between competitive and recreational skaters: http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/TimingOfSkillAcquisition.html

Hmm I watch alot of adult skaters on the internet and I rarely see any good doubles that have a tight enough air position. They're usually barely landed by force. Sometimes it's hard to understand because when doubles are done right they look so easy! I think people who do gymnastics or dance, especially ballet, have better chances eg. this guy does a decent 2A in this video and he's an adult skater afaik. (I have this blurry memory of videos of him working on triples but the videos are gone and I'm startng to think I might have imagined them. that account is a bit nsfw, btw.) It just seems like there needs to be a certain body build and awareness that is attained from a young age to be able to have decent doubles, let alone triples. I wouldn't say it's absolutely impossible to land triples as an adult skater with the right genetics and body awareness and, most importanlty, the right coaching but it's extremely rare and difficult.

There are no skaters with triple jumps at my FS club even though they all have been skating competitively since they were young because there are no coaches who can train these kids properly. Some of the skaters in the most advanced group only do singles, even. It's so funny because, I , the adult skater who started at 26, do dream of a 2S lol

Also, we have an adult skater thread and you're welcome to post there if you skate yourself:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Really kicking myself over not taking advantage of living in canada as a kid now...maybe sometime I'll pick it up haha

31 minutes ago, Yuzuspiration said:

Really kicking myself over not taking advantage of living in canada as a kid now...maybe sometime I'll pick it up haha

Haha you should pick it up. Skating is frustrating sometimes but I really enjoy it. Single jumps are also fun!

4 hours ago, Yuzuspiration said:

I think in addition to what @robin said, injuries are also a thing. A child can fall a thousand times while learning to land a triple and they would only get bruises, whereas an adult risks having more severe injuries every time he/she falls. Also, only something like 2% of child skaters ever learn a double axel, so combined with much fewer adult skaters and much less time, that probably gives you an idea why.

That said, men are much more likely to be able to do higher level jumps as an adult than women just due to natural athleticism...

23 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think in addition to what @robin said, injuries are also a thing. A child can fall a thousand times while learning to land a triple and they would only get bruises, whereas an adult risks having more severe injuries every time he/she falls. Also, only something like 2% of child skaters ever learn a double axel, so combined with much fewer adult skaters and much less time, that probably gives you an idea why.

That said, men are much more likely to be able to do higher level jumps as an adult than women just due to natural athleticism...

How much of a chance do you think teenagers stand?

1 hour ago, Yuzuspiration said:

How much of a chance do you think teenagers stand?

For a girl, if you start at 13, then sure. At 16, I think I've heard of a few cases of people landing 3T and/or 3S...(possibly UR'd). If you're a guy, then I can see you landing all your triples except axel...if you're reaalllyy lucky.

4 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

This scared me; I only read retirement and thought that I missed something

*pats* it would not be so relatively quiet here if we were at that point! :laughing:

It's for everyone else as really, post Olympics we do get the most retirements, so might as well have a separate thread with info/talk and this place can remain for gen talk.

3 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

Any other rumors about new skaters movin to TCC? Yuzu needs new training mates haha. Heard marin moved to Rafael for good. 

I kinda wnt Shoma to come to TCC to fix his jumps. But unlikely.

Sort of wnt russian laides skaters to come to fix their skatin skills and choreo too.

Yuzu has the other Japanese boy with him at TCC and after PC, some Russian skaters were asked if they would be willing to train other places and they said that Russia is the best, so no chance there.

5 hours ago, cinemacoconut said:

Any other rumors about new skaters movin to TCC? Yuzu needs new training mates haha. Heard marin moved to Rafael for good. 

Only confirmed skater moving to TCC so far is Conrad Orzel, a Canadian junior.

2 hours ago, xeyra said:

Cnt wait for new TCC members to be announced !!!! 

Hoping to hear some big names too. 

3 hours ago, xeyra said:

Where do people get TCC new member rumors frm anyway? Inside source ?