5 hours ago, wombat-poodle said:

I'm rooting for Boyang to take Gold. It may take an act of God because of his lower BV vis-a-vis Nathan and lower PCS vis-a-vis Shoma but I like him the best out of the three.

Anyway, is there anybody else besides the so-called sQuad + vincent in contention? ): They're all pretty unbalanced, I would like to see a more well-rounded world champ.

Yes, Boyang and Kolyada on the podium. If Nathan lands there, the US folks are going to be super arrogant again :disappointed: If they make Shoma win, oh well, what  a meal for the Yuzuru haters and other weird people.....

Anyway, it's going to be a  sad competition

32 minutes ago, Neenah said:

He does?!!!! What makes you think that?

TBH I don't really know what we will be getting at Worlds.If he finally manages to be clean in both programs there he will most likely win due to his BV, but can he really do it? Though he may do well since it is a low pressure competition and he is almost guaranteed a medal :shrug:

Not trying to be mean to Nathan, I really want him to do well. I just don't understand why people don't see that he was struggling all season just because he won all his competitions. Medals matter, but when trying to predict results, the actual performances matter more. 

Nathan is a wild card, his high BV is a big threat but then GPF was sorta "low pressure" and "guaranteed medal" as well and his skates were still blah and the scores were really low (although he did win cos somehow everyone also did badly). So yeah, I don't think he will perform well just because Zuzu ain't there. My above observations also apply to Shoma to some extent. He was also a favourite to win GPF and later 4CC. But he didn't do well both times and didn't win. Chances are that both these guys will definitely be on the podium, but I won't bet good money on what order they will end up in.

55 minutes ago, wombat-poodle said:

Nathan is a wild card, his high BV is a big threat but then GPF was sorta "low pressure" and "guaranteed medal" as well and his skates were still blah and the scores were really low (although he did win cos somehow everyone also did badly). So yeah, I don't think he will perform well just because Zuzu ain't there. My above observations also apply to Shoma to some extent. He was also a favourite to win GPF and later 4CC. But he didn't do well both times and didn't win. Chances are that both these guys will definitely be on the podium, but I won't bet good money on what order they will end up in.

Honestly, out of the young guys, the only one who managed to keep his nerves more or less in tact was Boyang (even on both ankles being injured). Which is why it would not surprise me, but amuse me like heck if he ends up pulling an upset.

17 minutes ago, Xen said:

Honestly, out of the young guys, the only one who managed to keep his nerves more or less in tact was Boyang (even on both ankles being injured). Which is why it would not surprise me, but amuse me like heck if he ends up pulling an upset.

Agreed, both Nathan and Shoma crumbled under pressure before while Boyang proved he is strong mentally. However,  Those two have the the judges on their side and Boyang doesn't, so they are going there with an advantage over him

I'm not sure I'd call having messy free skates crumbling under pressure. Those programs they're doing are HARD. Even skaters without much pressure screw up easier layouts. And no man is ever really consistently clean. I do think pressure played a role in certain competitions, like GPF, but I don't know if I'd call it crumbling. Nathan crumbled under the pressure at Olys in his SPs, though, which he had been hitting fairly consistently until then, but Olympics is an entire new ballpark and he entered it with the weight of US media (and his family?) on him. And Shoma maybe got hit the hardest with it during Japanese Nationals, when he became the top man in Yuzu's absence, especially the first time Yuzu had to skip it.

I think they'll be fine at Worlds, give or take some mistakes. 

My only two hopes for the men at Worlds is that we have a good enough competition, and no one breaks any records just because it's the last competition before the rules changes. Judges, control thyselves. 

5 minutes ago, xeyra said:

My only two hopes for the men at Worlds is that we have a good enough competition, and no one breaks any records just because it's the last competition before the rules changes. Judges, control thyselves. 

^This and no more injury news. This season has been bad enough as is.

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Personally, I'd be highly amused if it goes Boyang-Shoma-Nathan.

I wouldn't be amused, I'd be happy! Because that order is exactly how I see them. I don't see Shoma or Nathan working that much hard than Boyang on Skating Skills - it's just that Boyang lacks a bit of upper body grace, but in the end I don't think that Presentation is only about that. Yes, Shoma is magnetic and cool, but after I saw him skate to his EX the same exact way he skated to Vivaldi, he's lost a tiny bit of appreciation from my part. I think, thanks to Olympic interviews and performances, I've gotten to know Shoma a little bit more this season, and I've gotten to appreciate him less. It's like, he says he knows he can improve (with jumps, at least), but I think that's only the start of it. His presentation is flat, emotionless, stoic and that's it. The only times I enjoy him is when he lets go, smiles after a jump or a fall and finally lets himself loose a little.

Regarding Nathan, I can like him as a person, but he really thinks skating is all about jumps, and I think he's ended up believing that indeed he is good at everything else, because everyone around keeps praising him and convincing him of that. 

So, really, Boyang is the only one who is completely aware that he still has a long way to go, and this humilty allows him to actually grow with each competition, and change more than the other two. (Btw, have I already said I want Boyang to come to TCC.) 

So, pleaaaase please please podium predictions be right! 

53 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I'm not sure I'd call having messy free skates crumbling under pressure. Those programs they're doing are HARD. Even skaters without much pressure screw up easier layouts. And no man is ever really consistently clean. I do think pressure played a role in certain competitions, like GPF, but I don't know if I'd call it crumbling. Nathan crumbled under the pressure at Olys in his SPs, though, which he had been hitting fairly consistently until then, but Olympics is an entire new ballpark and he entered it with the weight of US media (and his family?) on him. And Shoma maybe got hit the hardest with it during Japanese Nationals, when he became the top man in Yuzu's absence, especially the first time Yuzu had to skip it.

I think they'll be fine at Worlds, give or take some mistakes. 

My comment may have sounded harsh but I wasn't really criticising them, it was just an observation. Both Nathan and Shoma seem to have trouble in competition were they are the favorites and perform better when Yuzu is around (since he is always the favorite in any competition he enters). I know what they do is hard which is why the issue of nerves must be addressed to make it easier for them to land those jumps and not hurt themselves. I am sure with more experience they will get better at it but maybe they should follow Boyang's example and stop pushing for more difficulty and focus on stabilizing what they have (Shoma kind of did that when he downgraded to four quads so there is hope)

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

My comment may have sounded harsh but I wasn't really criticising them, it was just an observation. Both Nathan and Shoma seem to have trouble in competition were they are the favorites and perform better when Yuzu is around (since he is always the favorite in any competition he enters). I know what they do is hard which is why the issue of nerves must be addressed to make it easier for them to land those jumps and not hurt themselves. I am sure with more experience they will get better at it but maybe they should follow Boyang's example and stop pushing for more difficulty and focus on stabilizing what they have (Shoma kind of did that when he downgraded to four quads so there is hope)

I agree with this because I feel the added quads robbed Nathan's FS of its potential to be a great program. US Classic, when he only attempted 3 quads (one popped), was its best version, which is kind of sad.

Edited to add who I was referring to. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

Not going to lie. I'm going to be salty af if any of Zu's records get broken because of unfair judging..... 

Re: men worlds podium

I am quite torn because my sentimental favourite is Boyang but tbh if all are clean he has no chances to take the gold, as he doesn't get a pass on pcs and goe like Shoma and Nathan...but I also want Shoma to win so the 3 spots for Japan are safe and also so haters won't blame Yuzuru and accuse him of not caring enough for Japan's slots. :curse:   Also why on earth in the last week have I seen so much criticism and nonsense against him from so many sources? Starting from the nonsense about his "ugly" SE :facepalm: I guess naysayers are regrouping after Yuzuru's 2nd OGM left them #shook and gaping like fishes:P

hopefully the other team Japan guys will do enough to help Shoma. Nathan has always been a "favourite" mainly because of his BV potential more than his actual results, iirc he hasn't managed to go over 300 in any international competition yet this season. But he showed he can land all those quads in the fs and I think judges will be ready to bump his scores up thanks to the reputation of that "redemption skate"... not that his two consecutive bombed sp (and lackluster gp series) hurt his pcs that much, anyway:slinkaway:

Imo right now Nate has higher or equal chances than Shoma, and Shoma now has that famous "weight of olympic medal" BESP were bemoaning as the reason why *some skaters* usually get high pcs (I still haven't forgiven that one:tumblr_m9ranru0Dx1qdlkyg:). Rn I think Boyang has higher chances for bronze than silver or gold  (but I'm rooting for Boss Tian to pull a Yuzu and win against all odds and media erasure:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Halfway through the season I thought Mika could be a real contender and I hope he can still pull himself together. And I'd love to see Dima do well too.:cheer:

I only hope panels will do their job properly and whoever will win a medal will do so deservedly, not because judges inflate pcs and goe or tech panel is hit by (the usual) selective blindness. It will be my first live competition and I want to fully enjoy it while I'll mourn (a lot) Yuzuru's absence (and I'll also mourn the money I lost for tickets of events I can't attend anymore and apparently "true skating fans" don't want to attend either, it's not like they are lining up to buy the tickets "evil fanyus" are reselling :13877886:sorry for the snarkiness:tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:)

Just now, meoima said:

Is the auction hacked again https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e265647509

I am so... tired of this.

Uh, guess yes. Last I checked about 3 hours ago, it was a reasonable 6 mil. Well, watch it deflate again in 3 hours.

As for YOI-I'm a pretty big skating fan, and a pretty big YOI fan. To me, there's nothing conflicting about liking either. And frankly, it's easier to locate more FS fans that way. FS is such a niche sport outside of Japan, that it needs all the publicity it could get. And as an anime, it's pretty well done (the choreography from Miyamoto anyone?). Oh, and sometimes the anime doesn't have as wild scoring as real FS-so it's better for my blood pressure.

Btw, back to skating topic, why are junior girls getting such low PCS? some of them have better SS and TR than some senior ladies, yet aren't really getting scored 8's at all.

There are bad fans in all fandom. Let’s ignore the idiots and focus on the brighter side. Calm down and talk nicely. 

I am asking has there been translation of Max and Angelo’s tech talk about jump technique and GOE into Japanese? I hope Japanese fans have the chance to know how great Yuzuru is.