2 hours ago, GreatLakesGal said:

I just came across an article in Russian that's an interview with Rafael A. In it he talks about Nathan, who apparently doesn't listen to him, and also about Adam and Ashley.

https://rsport.ria.ru/winter2018_analytics/20180221/1133017291.html

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or somewhere else?  Apparently there's some juicy stuff in it; unfortunately, I can't read Russian.

Isn't there a translations request thread? Maybe there, somebody can help? 

ETA: I think this is the same one Fay posted in the Team USA thread, in Igloo World. There's a translation of an interview with Raf A in FSU, the link is there.

6 hours ago, LadyLou said:

Anyway, a few days ago I think I've seen floating somewhere on twitter the pic of a jpn newspaper comparing Yuzuru's and Shoma's FS.

I think this is the one you're talking about?

I hope our fellow Japanese literate satellites can shed us some light about this coz' I can't understand this either.

8 hours ago, LadyLou said:

I'd say 3Lo is Zhenya's specialty, but I don't see 3Lo there and I'm honestly surprised :shrug: if she hasn't got any +3 on that, than it's a pity, she has a very fine 3Lo:smiley-love017:

tbh I'm still LOL about all those stsq lv3 Yuzuru got:laughing:

kuyashii kuyashii, Seimei stsq4 was just not meant to be...

oh wait, I made a nice rhyme:P

Anyway, a few days ago I think I've seen floating somewhere on twitter the pic of a jpn newspaper comparing Yuzuru's and Shoma's FS. I'm not sure what I was reading, since I can't read Japanese:tumblr_m9gct8HYvv1qzckow:but I watched the pictures and the numbers and it looked like they measured the speed, the average speed and ice coverage and there were also drawings of the skating patterns. From what I could understand it looked like Shoma was slighly faster and covered something like 100m more, which tbh I might believe, since Yuzuru was still nursing an injured ankle and also he has more transitions, so of course they can account for a bit of slowing down (I know that in other events Yuzuru was much faster, but he wasn't skating on painkillers on still injured ankle:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:)

I haven't seen any debate about that, so I was wondering if I misunderstood the article or if maybe the newspaper wasn't reliable... (as I can't read japanese, I have no idea what newspaper it was:13877886:)

Yuzuru was really fast during step sequence and choreographic sequence, I was like: please don’t rush please because whenever he rushed and skated too fast he tended to lose one level. Hence he got level 3 in the step sequence. It’s too fast so the turns he did were rushed, one or two might not be counted that’s why.

And all these data don’t make sense if people do not take into account of the transitions and crossovers skaters do.

For example, if we look in the fancam, Eteri girls are not fast. Their speeds are just so so but they’re getting the highest PCS score. It’s because they actually use the least amount of crossovers and they have packed transitions. My coach even says 3 more crossovers in a row is a crime. So there’s that too. It’s not how fast you are but how you gain speed, from the edge alone or from the crossovers.

Yuzuru is the only guy along with Patrick Chan that I see they gaine huge speed during the step sequence alone, and you know the step sequence is consisted of the hardest group of turns. So there’s that. 

Thank you @PapiandPooh422, yes that was the article I was talking about.

4 hours ago, meoima said:

Yuzuru was really fast during step sequence and choreographic sequence, I was like: please don’t rush please because whenever he rushed and skated too fast he tended to lose one level. Hence he got level 3 in the step sequence. It’s too fast so the turns he did were rushed, one or two might not be counted that’s why.

And all these data don’t make sense if people do not take into account of the transitions and crossovers skaters do.

For example, if we look in the fancam, Eteri girls are not fast. Their speeds are just so so but they’re getting the highest PCS score. It’s because they actually use the least amount of crossovers and they have packed transitions. My coach even says 3 more crossovers in a row is a crime. So there’s that too. It’s not how fast you are but how you gain speed, from the edge alone or from the crossovers.

Yuzuru is the only guy along with Patrick Chan that I see they gaine huge speed during the step sequence alone, and you know the step sequence is consisted of the hardest group of turns. So there’s that. 

Yes, I thought about the whole crossovers vs. turns and step too:biggrin:

But I have no idea if the newspaper made some comment along those lines or it merely showed the data (I don't even know if the numbers are about what I think they are, tbh :laughing:). I thought Yuzuru was definitely flying in the choreo sequence, to me it looked he was even faster than he usually is, or maybe I should say "more forceful". Imo that's his best seimei chsq, and seimei choreo sequence is always amazing:10636614:

ETA: what I meant is that we have data of him being still the faster guy among top 6 despite using way less crossovers, but in this particular instance I can believe he was a tad slower than he usually is because he wasn't in top physical condition

27 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Thank you @PapiandPooh422, yes that was the article I was talking about.

Yes, I thought about the whole crossovers vs. turns and step too:biggrin:

But I have no idea if the newspaper made some comment along those lines or it merely showed the data (I don't even know if the numbers are about what I think they are, tbh :laughing:). I thought Yuzuru was definitely flying in the choreo sequence, to me it looked he was even faster than he usually is, or maybe I should say "more forceful". Imo that's his best seimei chsq, and seimei choreo sequence is always amazing:10636614:

ETA: what I meant is that we have data of him being still the faster guy among top 6 despite using way less crossovers, but in this particular instance I can believe he was a tad slower than he usually is because he wasn't in top physical condition

I thought he came off a bit faster in the Choreo Sequence too. And tbh, relative to some of his other programs, seimei is a bit slower overall-just the music itself has a bit more weight to it, so I would not expect it to have the speed or lightness of H&L, or Chopin. 

Besides, he won, no amount of data will supress that fact. :biggrin:

On a more serious note, ever since that weird article about Raf's interview, and hearing all these speculations about coaching changes, part of me wonders, what are the chances of Nathan and Tarasova? 

18 hours ago, LadyLou said:

From what I could understand it looked like Shoma was slighly faster and covered something like 100m more

11 hours ago, PapiandPooh422 said:

I think this is the one you're talking about?

I hope our fellow Japanese literate satellites can shed us some light about this coz' I can't understand this either.

These two pics are interesting. On the left, I found out Yuzu's jumps are mostly on the side. On the right, Shoma's jumps are somehow together in the middle. I don't know why the long yellow lines (faster speed) on the right side of Shoma's picture remind me of Shoma's forward crossover with his arms up...:slinkaway:

On 2/19/2018 at 8:20 PM, Xen said:

This was a better SP than the ACI one

So everybody here thinks this SP was better than ACI one?

10 minutes ago, SSS said:

So everybody here thinks this SP was better than ACI one?

I'm not 100% sure. I really loved that performance. The problem is the camera work and lighting wasn't good enough to compare accurately. I never found a high-quality, crisp video to see some of the facial nuances I wanted to. The deftness of the transitions out of the jump landings... I thought might have been a touch better there. I also miss what he was doing in the summer shows on the 3A exit: having the leg raised in twizzle position instead of more relaxed closer to the ice. It drew more attention to his one-foot skating. 

I had the feeling his 3A was better here... but it's true that camera angle and HQ can do a lot.  For example, in OG SP they ruined the camel spin hand movements with that aerial shot  :tantrum: I am so mad with them, I live and breath for those hand movements:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

For COR Seimei, my favourite video is a lovely HQ fancam that really gives the sense of Yuzuru's speed and ice coverege and the size of his jumps, somehow the official footage didn't convey that so well. And when I could finally put my hands on OG Seimei HQ video (instead of the freezing lq video I had to endure live) I was :knc_yuzu1: by how much ten thousands times better than I thought it was . I will mourn forever ACI WR without decent quality, or with decent quality but less gorgeous camera angles...jpn tv failed me:drama::gaah:

a big LOL at us trying to discern between degrees of perfection:10814716: We are so spoiled:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

ETA: nevermind, I had somehow missed the NBC footage, all is good now, world peace restored, all because I got my fingers detail on a spin:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::P

when you have to rely on NBC footage to get arm movements on spins or footage of this gorgous gorgeous gorgeous moment:

tumblr_inline_p4jh7v4kem1slyotu_540.gif

http://78.media.tumblr.com/69ba616d8d9e2f0f5ec06c1fea1c7154/tumblr_inline_p4jh7v4kem1slyotu_540.gif

from http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/171155356159/alice-can-i-request-you-a-gif-i-am-in-love-with

(ah ah, I guess it's not a surprise I love that moment, I could spam it everywhere, and if Alice is reading this thank you so much for making this gif:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I can't stop looking at it...yes I was the one who requested it, sorry, let me boast a bit about asking for this wonder to be made, thanks:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:)

ETA 2: why hasn't it embedded?:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

On 22.2.2018 at 2:40 AM, GreatLakesGal said:

I just came across an article in Russian that's an interview with Rafael A. In it he talks about Nathan, who apparently doesn't listen to him, and also about Adam and Ashley.

https://rsport.ria.ru/winter2018_analytics/20180221/1133017291.html

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or somewhere else?  Apparently there's some juicy stuff in it; unfortunately, I can't read Russian.

there is an translation of that article posted on FSU

On 22.2.2018 at 1:35 AM, Forcefield said:

Don't know if this is the place to put it, but since this is a place for score discussions:

I know it's been talked about the Chinese judge getting some flack for his scores for Boyang, but even Japanese tv is talking about it and I'm so mad for Boyang because he doesn't deserve his scores getting scrutinized like that, and yet the USA judge and Nathan/Vincent's scores are not? Always, they go for the poor; the poor gets poorer while the rich gets richer. :smiley-angry020:

what does the video show? it's not available for me ... :slinkaway:

If we talk about Yuzuru's SP, I agreed that the ACI version is better. He change the timing for jumps in 2nd half and went for it earlier at Olys. As for presentation, I will give it for Olys ver. What I love about Yuzuru's skating is his performances always have new little details. In ACI, no doubt its the 4T3T and the sit spin. In Olys,  the inabaeur and the arm during final spins will take the cake. He delivered when it counted, that's it.