Tips for not dying in winter

SparkleSalad

@SparkleSalad  A tropical creature living in Minnesota now, so I've experienced winter -14 deg C quite a bit...

Here's what I've done to survive...

Coat

Get good winter coat if possible, or if not, buy a slightly bigger sized one so you can wear another jacket below the coat. A good winter coat isn't always the thicker the better, get something that can trap your body heat, which is what keep you warm. Get something with zips, so that it's easier to remove the layers when you no longer need them. 

When you buy winter coats, usually they will indicate what's the temperature range they are meant for, so get the warmest one.

But, don't keep layering up. You don't want to suffocate yourself when indoors. 

When you're indoor with heating, it's suggested that you remove your outer most layer. If you get used to its warmth even indoors, the contrast with the temperature outside will make you more cold. So only wear your thickest when needed, or at least unzip it indoors. 

Shoes

You need waterproof shoes. If you can afford a good pair of winter boots, buy one. If not, wearing leathered shoes will be helpful as well. If you're not using winter boots, make sure you're wearing thick socks. Bring a few pairs because your feet may sweat indoors.

Gloves

If you intend to use your phone while outdoors, get gloves that are compatible with touchscreens. If not, just get something thick. I personally would recommend those that allow more movement, unlike the skii gloves which look like boxing gloves. Since your coat almost always have pockets, you can put your hands in there most of the time.

Other accessories

Cover your ears. You can use a winter hat or a ear muffler. Your ears are very sensitive to the cold. 

A scarf is optional but good to have. Use it to cover your face and neck. You can even use only a medical facial mask because anything that forms a layer between your skin and the air will help.

Drinks

As others have mentioned, a thermal flask will be good. Some people also drink alcohol to help keep warm. Depends on what works better for you.

Heat pads

Personally, I find heat pads a life savior...just bring tons of them...whenever I feel cold, I just use one. If you open one outdoors, it'll be too cold for it to gain heat, so I put tit under my coat. When it starts getting hot, I'll move the heat pad and place it on wherever I need them. Whether or not it works for you depends though because I have friends who dislike heat pads and never use them.

Accomodation

No matter where you stay, there'll definitely be heating. But what you consider sufficient heat may not be the same as what the hotels/airbnb host think. Check reviews and see if anyone said anything about the heating system. I doubt this will be a major issue, but good to note of just in case.

And you're not going for a hike in the woods or something...so if the cold is really bad, you can always run to somewhere indoors and come out later. PC arena won't be 100% outdoors! =)

Oh wow...this post is longer than I thought. Pm me if you have any questions.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, katonice said:

Bringing this back up to ask what types of coats are good for subzero temperatures.

Is there anything I should look out for?

If it says polyester, is that good enough?

(Trying to take advantage of the Thanksgiving sales in the US to ask someone I know to buy winter gear for me lol.)

Depends on how cold it is and your cold tolerance...My coat is polyester and I've been surviving pretty decently I guess.

Things to look out for: coats that can trap air (to retain heat) or have reflective inner lining ('reflect' your body heat back to you).  

Not sure about you, but before I lived through my first winter, I always thought that winter coats are to stop the cold from coming in. But then I realized good coats stop your own body heat from going out, so any winter coat that has the ability to trap heat (e.g. the 2 examples above) will be very helpful, regardless of the material.

Examples: https://www.columbia.com/technology-omniheatreflective/

https://www.thenorthface.com/about-us/technology-innovation/technology/thermoball.html

There are plenty more. Good luck for your search! =)

31 minutes ago, singcarcom said:

Depends on how cold it is and your cold tolerance...My coat is polyester and I've been surviving pretty decently I guess.

Things to look out for: coats that can trap air (to retain heat) or have reflective inner lining ('reflect' your body heat back to you).  

Not sure about you, but before I lived through my first winter, I always thought that winter coats are to stop the cold from coming in. But then I realized good coats stop your own body heat from going out, so any winter coat that has the ability to trap heat (e.g. the 2 examples above) will be very helpful, regardless of the material.

Examples: https://www.columbia.com/technology-omniheatreflective/

https://www.thenorthface.com/about-us/technology-innovation/technology/thermoball.html

There are plenty more. Good luck for your search! =)

Thanks for the tips!

I'm browsing through winter coats options and I'm finding it so difficult to choose! :drama:

1 hour ago, katonice said:

Thanks for the tips!

I'm browsing through winter coats options and I'm finding it so difficult to choose! :drama:

I know....especially when there are so many options online! The last time I got mine was when I simply followed a group of people who brought us to one store and I just bought whatever I can find in there. 

Hope you find something suitable that you like!

Singcarcoms long Post has everything really. I'd just like to and some personal observations. Skiing gear coats/jackets are great and like sb said they tell you which Temperature the coat is for. Wellensteyn is also a good brand for "casual" Winter coats (not sports gear). Their coats may not be cheap but they last. 

All in all I would say don't be too stingy. But looking into sales is a good thing.

If snow is an issue, if you can afford, don't go cheap on good winter boots! Depending on weather, make sure for warmth, but also water proof. Nothing worse than sticking a foot into a wet boot three minutes before you must face the sub-zero.... From personal experience, I say, don't do it.

And on note of wet boots... If coats or gloves or hat get wet, dry them fast. No wait for last minute drying, make sure it is dry well beforehand. No good going outside even if only a little damp. Very cold very fast, and no good for you!