Of Seers & Cassandras lost in space – prophesize the GP series!

Hello, good morning and welcome to all of you orbiting through fluffy Pooh space :sign0016:

With the Olympic season already underway and the GP series quickly approaching, it is about time we come together to unleash our inner prophets, oracles, fortune-tellers, doomsayers, jinxers and coin flippers – and meet in an epic battle about points, points, points and bragging rights to see who’s tea leaf reading skills will proof the best. Are you ready for 7 rounds of nail bitingly suspenseful horoscope creating? 7 Weeks of nerve shatteringly difficult crystal ball visions about those golds and silvers and bronzes? Well, I sure hope so! (because otherwise, this is awkward :biggrin:)

In all seriousness though – welcome everyone to the Planet Hanyu GP series prediction game. It will basically include what it says on the tin - predictions about the 6 GP events + the GPF, and is solely there for all of us to have fun. So to say the most important thing up ahead: there is no qualification to participate, even if you don’t know all the skaters from all disciplines or sometimes really have no idea what would be realistic – just take a guess, throw a coin or use the randomizer – and be potentially surprised how that can get you more points then an “educated” prediction sometimes. Ice is slippery and all! Also, Fay & team are setting up threads to introduce the skaters of different GPs and help you a bit if you are unfamiliar with some 😊 We'd be happy if many of you participated!

Explanation & rules:

Spoiler

So, what’s the plan? Long and longer explanation of my ideas ahead!

1.)   What are you going to predict?

Firstly, the podium in all 4 disciplines, for every event. You will get points for getting the right names for the podium, and extra ones if you got the exact placement correct. Since that alone would never be extra enough for our terrain here, I’ll add in an extra question per discipline, that will change with every event – like “How many quads will the men overall land in the LPs?”; “Will the winning lady have higher TES or higher PCS”; “Will the winning dress be blue?”; “How many butt spins will we be subjected to?”; “Will the Pairs give us a synchronized fall?” and so on. As you can probably tell, some of them might be more serious, and some others less so. Spice of life they say, spice of life!

There will also be an extra round the week before CoR including predicting the GP finalists.

2.)   How do you participate?

I’ll create the questionnaires on a site called flexiquiz and post the links here in this thread. To participate you will have to enter a first and last name, and I’d ask you to use your PH nicks – unless you want me to predict who’s prediction that one in question was. I can do that, but I’m not taking responsibility for the success rate 😉 (it also asks for a mail address, but giving one is not required, so just leave it out). As far as I understood that site, you won’t be able to edit the predictions you made – so if you don’t feel too comfortable with your previous guesses anymore, just take the quiz a second time, tell me by posting here in the thread, and I will just delete your first entry. You can change your mind as often as you want to, and the game is open right until the start of the first part of the competition. I’ll try to have the new round of questions ready at least the Sunday before the next GP, so that you have enough time to think about your answers.

3.)   How does the point system work?

If you guessed a right skater for the podium = 1 point. If you got a skaters placements correct = 3 points. If you have the right 3 names for the podium = 2 bonus points. If you have the podium including order correct, it’s 3 bonus points. Allow me to make this clearer with the help of my lovely assistants: Pooh, Luna and Stitch.

Let’s say this is the actual podium in competition: 1.) Pooh 2.) Luna 3.) Stitch

Then this is what several different guesses would get you:

1.) Pooh 2.) Luna 3.) Stitch = 12 points (3 points per skater, 3 bonus points)

1.) Luna 2.) Pooh 3.) Stitch = 7 points (1 point for Luna and Pooh each, 3 for Stitch, 2 bonus points for right skaters)

1.) Stitch 2.) Pooh 3.) Luna = 5 points (1 for each skater, 2 bonus points because it’s the 3 right skaters)

1.) Pooh 2.) Mickey 3.) Orser = 3 points (3 for Pooh being 1., none for the others)

For the bonus questions – if it is a question with only 2 answers, it will be 2 points. If there are more possibilities, you can also potentially get more points! For example, let’s say the question is how many quads will the podium men have landed in their LPs – then the span is 0 up to the number of quads they combined plan. With the right guys, that’s up to 16! I’ll probably group several numbers together then, like: a.) 0-2; b.) 3-5; c.) 6-8; d.) 9-11; e.) 12-14; f.) 15-16. If you hit the right answer, it’s 4 points, being one off still gives you 2. But how this develops at large will also depend on what questions will show up throughout the game

A good part of the points are calculated on the site. I'll check those through and add in the bonus points - and then post the rankings here as soon as possible after every GP is finished.

4.)   Can others see your predictions?

Not the way things are set up on the site right now. Maybe I can change it if that is what you guys prefer – alternatively, if that doesn’t work, you can post your predictions in here additionally.

5.) Do you have to predict all disciplines?

No, there is no 'having to' with this game. If you simply want to participate in only one disciplines guesses, just don't answer the rest - I'll post rankings overall and per disciplines here.

So – everything clear? If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions please feel free to share them all here. Right now, I’d like to post the first link to the bonus round (GP finalists & Co.) during this week, next weekend the link for CoR specifically. I hope you will all participate and have fun! :studsmatta::drinks::fourleafclover:

Links to Questionnaires for the single events:

(So far: Warm-up round, CoR, SC)

Google spreadsheet containing everybodys points here.

Google spreadsheet containing everyones detailed answers for closed rounds here.

And PDFs showing you the overall answers from the Planet Hanyu Cassandra trainee team are here:

Spoiler

1.) Cup of Russia: 1, 2

2.) Skate Canada x

Thank you, @Joey - this is a brilliant idea! I'll try my Cassandra skills this season here!

In case the satellites want information on the competitors - we've opened special threads on the GP circuit with short descriptions of the participants - welcome to discuss the participants there and post your predictions here! Or vice versa... 

Senior Men of the Grand Prix circuit

Senior Ladies of the Grand Prix circuit

Senior Pairs of the Grand Prix circuit

Senior Ice Dance of the Grand Prix circuit

Oh boy... I'm superstitious as heck (hence, not doing any prediction for ACI men's podium) but I guess I need to shake that attitude off. If Yuzu, who is also very supersitious, can state his goal of winning clearly then I should be confident enough to write down his name for the Gold medal... :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

I'll just post my current predictions here while waiting for the questionnaire app just so I'll have some cheat notes (I've been reading the skater's bio in the GP threads provided - especially for pairs & ice dance). Truthfully, it's hard for me to put Yuzu here as first because of his past patterns but his goal for this season is to be healthy and consistent so I'm sending this out to the universe, I guess. My podium prediction for COR. (Disclaimer: I've got no clue about pairs and ice dance)

MEDAL MEN LADIES PAIRS ICE DANCE
GOLD Hanyu Medvedeva Tarasova / Morozov Bobrova / Soloviev
SILVER Chen Higuchi Stolbova / Klimov Shibutani / Shibutani
BRONZE Kolyada Nagasu Seguin / Bilodeau Gilles / Poirier

Dream Podium (A girl can dream right?) :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

GOLD Hanyu Higuchi :biggrin: Stolbova / Klimov Gilles / Poirier :biggrin:
SILVER Vasiljevs Medvedeva Marchei / Hotarek Shibutani / Shibutani
BRONZE Ge Kostner Suto / Boudreau-Audet -

On 9.10.2017 at 1:28 PM, kaeryth said:

I'll just post my current predictions here while waiting for the questionnaire app just so I'll have some cheat notes (I've been reading the skater's bio in the GP threads provided - especially for pairs & ice dance). Truthfully, it's hard for me to put Yuzu here as first because of his past patterns but his goal for this season is to be healthy and consistent so I'm sending this out to the universe, I guess. My podium prediction for COR. (Disclaimer: I've got no clue about pairs and ice dance)

GOLD Hanyu Medvedeva Tarasova / Morozov Bobrova / Soloviev
SILVER Chen Higuchi Stolbova / Klimov Shibutani / Shibutani
BRONZE Kolyada Nagasu Seguin / Bilodeau Gilles / Poirier

Dream Podium (A girl can dream right?) :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

GOLD Hanyu Higuchi :biggrin: Stolbova / Klimov Gilles / Poirier :biggrin:
SILVER Vasiljevs Medvedeva Marchei / Hotarek Shibutani / Shibutani
BRONZE Ge Kostner Suto / Boudreau-Audet -

Uuuuhhhh, I like those dream predictions - although I want Mika to medal too. And Dima. Ugh :hopelessness:

I'll try to post the frist part today - and I'll always edit everything into to OP that is important, so you can find everything there and continue to talk in this thread about your predictions and everything (if you want to) :)

First round of the prediction game is up! It's about the GP series as a whole, including predicting the finalists.

Just use this link:

https://www.flexiquiz.com/SC/N/785df35e-fb00-4546-a33c-6cbac31dda9d

It's open until the start of CoR.

You have to register with first and last name, just make it recognizable for me who you are. If there are any questions, don't be shy to ask. Good luck everyone! :drinks:

And to follow that up, the Prediction game for Cup of Russia:

Part 1:

https://www.flexiquiz.com/SC/N/c8d85d44-c840-46ce-aa9d-e8e9f712747f

Part 2:

https://www.flexiquiz.com/SC/N/f01f2978-4827-4f94-afa7-2884da0451db

I'm sorry that it comes in 2 parts, but I can't put more then 10 questions into one :facepalm:

Nevertheless, good luck to everyone and if there are any questions, ask away!

The CoR prediction round (and the GP warm up round) are open until the start of CoR, so 20th October, 2 pm Moscow time.

Woot, all done and ... I am sure I continue to suck at this but as long as I don't suck at the men's prediction all is well :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I guess I will only do the singles, I know nothing about pairs and ice dance :shrug:

Just guess. Many folks do. And they end up doing better often enough than those trying to actually figure out who may podium based on form etc :laughing:

15 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I guess I will only do the singles, I know nothing about pairs and ice dance :shrug:

If you want to, that is fine - for the CoR predictions, that would mean only doing part 1, which includes Men & Ladies. I'll sort points per disciplines, so that you still get a ranking with only those disciplines.

However, I'd echo Yata, just take a guess :) First time I played a prediction game I had seen 2 Ice Dance programs in my life, and it ended up being my best discipline :laughing: