The great skating bake-off - recipe edition

Aotoshiro

So, we have the thread where we can share the effects of our kitchen adventures, courtesy of one certain @WinForPooh.

BUT!

What about sharing beginning of your masterpieces? What about people who de-stress through making (and eating!) sweets pre, mid, and after competition, and whose cookbooks are wearing thin without the muse to keep them going? WORRY NOT, for this is a place where you can post recipe, look for recipe, ask for recipe, get advice on a recipe...everything recipe! Whether it is your national dessert, or just the recipe from the internet you liked and would like to share with the world by translaing it to English, do not hesitate to post it here!

I'm so bad at starting stuff...:facepalm:

Certain points I'd like you to keep in mind:

-If you can, try to write amount of ingredients in gramms and mililiters- not all glasses are the same, :biggrin: same with the bars of chocolate, butter...(though I don't know about the spoons^^)

-Size of frames and baking plates- as fellow satellite pointed out, medium-sized American plate is the size of a "big" european one xD So, for the sake of sanity, let's state the sizes of the round ones by the diameter (centimeters would be great, so for those using inches: http://www.inches-to-cm.com/), and square-ish ones by the usual YcmxZcm(xAcm, if depth matters)

-Remember to tell fellow satellites to what degree they should heat their oven! I'd suggest Celsius, since I'm not too sure about Fahrenheit being used in cooking, but just in case: http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/temperature/celsius-to-fahrenheit.htm

That's it! Fasten your belts, turn on your oven, and let the cooking start!

I'M SO SORRY FOR THE TROUBLES YOU'LL HAVE CONVERTING RECIPIES...

For better or worse, I did conversions ever since I was big enough to bake (around 10yo, though mom says I still gave her heart attacks, when getting close to the oven), so I can give you estimated amounts of things in middle Europe.(if people from the other parts of the world decide to join and share their conversions, maybe I could add it to the main post to help?)

Anyway, here it is:

Spoiler

1 bar of chocolate- is usually 100g

1 glass of anything- is usually 200g

1 bar of butter(is that called bar in English? We say a cube...)- in older recipies it meant 250g, now, for some reason, standardized is 200g, and 250 if you mean margarine bar,

1 baking powder- usually we use teaspoons, but for the sake of consistency, it is sold in 15g and 30g packets, so the whole baking powder usually means one of those, I think vanilin sugar is the same,

of course, if you add a pinch of something I swear I'm not going to make you check how much grams you usually pinch just for the sake of that thread. After all, cooking is also art, and what would be art if it was completely measured and predictable?

41 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

Hide contents

1 bar of chocolate- is usually 100g

1 glass of anything- is usually 200g

1 bar of butter(is that called bar in English? We say a cube...)- in older recipies it meant 250g, now, for some reason, standardized is 200g, and 250 if you mean margarine bar,

1 baking powder- usually we use teaspoons, but for the sake of consistency, it is sold in 15g and 30g packets, so the whole baking powder usually means one of those, I think vanilin sugar is the same,

Oh considering that, I bought chocolate to bake the cake today, naively thinking that all the bars are 100 g, and when I got home are got out all the things i needed.... And I realized one of the bars was only 90 g :laughing: I'm glad I bought extra because it would have been annoying to have to walk to the store again just for that. Anyway, the cake went well, but it's a little mushy, so I'm thinking I have to bake it for a little longer next time. Thanks for the recipe :thanks:

13 minutes ago, MajaHled said:

Oh considering that, I bought chocolate to bake the cake today, naively thinking that all the bars are 100 g, and when I got home are got out all the things i needed.... And I realized one of the bars was only 90 g :laughing: I'm glad I bought extra because it would have been annoying to have to walk to the store again just for that. Anyway, the cake went well, but it's a little mushy, so I'm thinking I have to bake it for a little longer next time. Thanks for the recipe :thanks:

good for you! My family loves mushy cakes, so maybe that's why I bake ot so short^^ though I believe it's the biggest advantage of this cake- since it's creamy soft, even if it ends up mushy, you can still say it's all according to keikaku [t/n: keikaku means plan xD]

also yes, the cheated chocolate bars are so frustrating...I have a list of the companies that do that to avoid buying them when cooking...

Hmmm... does :pancake: recipes count, despite the obvious lack of oven use?

I made this this morning because my dining companions have their own brunch arrangements. 

Made 6 pancakes, each approximately 10cm in diameter so that it isn't as huge as what you would find in American restaurants (so maybe it would even fit people with smaller appetites like :space:)

Drizzled it with maple infused honey and added butter... yum! (But I wish I could make them slightly thinner...)

1 hour ago, souyouki said:

Hmmm... does :pancake: recipes count, despite the obvious lack of oven use?

I made this this morning because my dining companions have their own brunch arrangements. 

Made 6 pancakes, each approximately 10cm in diameter so that it isn't as huge as what you would find in American restaurants (so maybe it would even fit people with smaller appetites like :space:)

Drizzled it with maple infused honey and added butter... yum! (But I wish I could make them slightly thinner...)

My conclusion from the past few days: I need to make :pancake: :laughing:

• 9 months later...

@wingman maybe taking the food discussion here lol

nut milk is a dairy alternative and you can make it with almonds or hazelnuts etc

Just soak the nuts in water overnight, blend that up and strain the liquid through a filtering cloth or something like that

Or just buy it from the store :laughing:

14 minutes ago, wingman said:

What are you guys' fav recipe resources?

Youtube, youtube, youtube! I follow +30 channels of recipes tbh xD The ones updating the most, for example, are The Domestic Geek, Mind over Munch, SortedFood, Laura in the Kitchen, The Food Emperor, cook cafemaru, but there are a lot more. Usually I search on the spot for specific foods I am craving. Uh, but it helps that my father's a chef so if I need to know anything, I'll just ask him xDDD