Just now, Murieleirum said:

Omg wait... is that Struffoli? :laughing: I've never seen them that way... 

That's Tatar national dessert - a thing called chak chak. Pieces of soft dough cooked in oil and covered with honey. 

Most people love it, I can't just stand it. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

That's Tatar national dessert - a thing called chak chak. Pieces of soft dough cooked in oil and covered with honey. 

Most people love it, I can't just stand it. 

Omg! Chak chak is such a funny name, I almost prefer the name over the thing! :laughing:

You can understand why I mistook them for Italian struffoli: fried dough covered in honey:

struffoli-3.jpg

I don't particularily enjoy them either btw. They are fried little devils with no particular taste, so I go towards more... sophisticated desserts xD 

6 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I've been obsessively watching videos from this channel now. Thanks a lot. 

Hey, you can learn a lot! It's... it's culturally enriching! *tries to justify doing the same*

Omg! Chak chak is such a funny name, I almost prefer the name over the thing! :laughing:

You can understand why I mistook them for Italian struffoli: fried dough covered in honey:

struffoli-3.jpg

I don't particularily enjoy them either btw. They are fried little devils with no particular taste, so I go towards more... sophisticated desserts xD 

Yeah, looks like it. There are certain kinds of this chak chak thing which are better - if the dough is soft enough, they'll be very light and airy, but then they're horribly difficult to make. I know, my family made making these into an art...

No taste to speak of, you're right. But they last quite long, if they're well made. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

There are certain kinds of this chak chak thing which are better - if the dough is soft enough, they'll be very light and airy, but then they're horribly difficult to make. I know, my family made making these into an art...

Ooh, now I'm curious to see some that your family made! 

1 minute ago, sallycinnamon said:

Is cozonac similar to colac @ralucutzagy? What's the difference? Cozonac looks so delicious!

I'm team Pandoro @Murieleirum! I don't like raisins and candied fruits in cakes.

We have this at Christmas, filled with either walnuts or poppy seed. I love the poppy seed version a lot more :smile:

A0ICfDP.jpg

That looks incredibly amazing... I've never tasted a strong flavor of poppy seeds in a cake! And so cute, too! <3 

8 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Is cozonac similar to colac @ralucutzagy? What's the difference? Cozonac looks so delicious!

I'm team Pandoro @Murieleirum! I don't like raisins and candied fruits in cakes.

We have this at Christmas, filled with either walnuts or poppy seed. I love the poppy seed version a lot more :smile:

A0ICfDP.jpg

Yes, it is something like that, the only difference is that the cozonac's dough is fluffy, made with yeast, you must let the dough grow for a while, then put the filing of nuts and chocolate and then at the horn with them ... It smells and taste so good!!!! :party0021:

That looks incredibly amazing... I've never tasted a strong flavor of poppy seeds in a cake! And so cute, too! <3 

I looked up the recipe for struffoli - chak chak is likely to be drier, no butter in the dough. It's just literally eggs (whites, mostly), flour and a little salt. That's what makes cooking them so difficult - it's just like meringue, it'll collapse if it's undercooked. Won't expand if the eggs or the flour aren't fresh enough, or if the temperature of the cooking oil is too high or too low. 

They just melt on your palate... but the problem is that I have difficulty consuming food cooked on oil. Have always had that problem. 

11 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

You'd like this Austrian cake - poppy seed with hot chocolate and whipped cream :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw: They are so delicious...

mohr_im_hemd_jetzt_auch_bei_dr._oetker_p

But poppy seed can look bizarre too, even though it's a children's favourite.

I used to eat it almost every evening when I was a kid:

nudli_3.jpg

5 minutes ago, Fay said:

I looked up the recipe for struffoli - chak chak is likely to be drier, no butter in the dough. It's just literally eggs (whites, mostly), flour and a little salt. That's what makes cooking them so difficult - it's just like meringue, it'll collapse if it's undercooked. Won't expand if the eggs or the flour aren't fresh enough, or if the temperature of the cooking oil is too high or too low. 

They just melt on your palate... but the problem is that I have difficulty consuming food cooked on oil. Have always had that problem. 

Ooh I see, so they look similar but they're not at all, I'd say the chak chak is lighter because of no butter, but then, who needs butter when you're deep frying?

Mmmh, it sounds like a 'healthy' problem to have, I wish I had it as well xD When you bite into something that's too oily it's really not nice, or when the fried flavor is too strong. Although, I can hardly resist to some fried things, like potato croquettes or Arancini... 

2 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

You'd like this Austrian cake - poppy seed with hot chocolate and whipped cream :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw: They are so delicious...

mohr_im_hemd_jetzt_auch_bei_dr._oetker_p

But poppy seed can look bizarre too, even though it's a children's favourite.

I used to eat it almost every evening when I was a kid:

nudli_3.jpg

Eeeeh! Now I wanna go to Austria, I never imagined poppy seed could be a main ingredient for a cake! Maybe we don't have a lot of poppy seeds in the mediterranean area? I've only ever seen them on bread as decoration xD 

9 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Mmmh, it sounds like a 'healthy' problem to have, I wish I had it as well xD When you bite into something that's too oily it's really not nice, or when the fried flavor is too strong. Although, I can hardly resist to some fried things, like potato croquettes or Arancini... 

There are certain things I have to be grateful to this body of mine for - it keeps me to a generally very healthy diet and punishes me severely once I go overboard. But that makes me quite a hard eater to please... so guess what? I don't quite like visiting people unless I know we've got around the same culinary preferences.

So I do relate to Yuzu being a picky eater quite well! 

5 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Oh, the poppy it's so good with salty things!!! In Romania we so something like this, especially for New Year Eve, some salty sticks with cheese and poppy! Delicious!!!

tn4_dscf2269.jpg

I'm very much a person who prefers savoury to sweet - tbh really lovely bread and that French butter with sea salt in it is my downfall- can't have it in the house!