8 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Bread is a great stress buster.  There’s a recipe in Marcella Hazan’s ‘Classic Italian Cooking’ which has very long complicated and quite brutal kneading instructions- you periodically have to pick the dough up and throw it at the table you’re kneading it on.  It makes a very fine grained loaf!   It is extremely good if you’re feeling very kuyashii.

If you have a tricky oven an oven thermometer is your friend - I have a very old Aga and translating gas mark or degrees C into which bit of the ovens to use is real trial and error stuff.

i feel you on the bad knees - had to give up Zumba because the twisting moves killed my knees.  Swimming is best because you’re supported but it’s not particularly convenient.  I found Pilates very good - can’t get to the class I used to go to anymore but I keep meaning to see if I can find something on YouTube that would do the same job at home.

I need to make bread now. NOWWWW...but there's a planned drought in my city starting today so no cooking and much less baking for a week at least :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw: I will try when the water service is back up.

And Zumba looks fun! I love dancing to latin rythms, particularly salsa and stuff like that...but my boyfriend hates it and nobody approaches you at weddings if you have a boyfriend :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:, I've been meaning to go to dancing bars or something but it's almost the same result with the boyfriend part :rofl:

I'll check the pilates thing. I tried it a few years ago but a friend told me that it only works with the proper machines and stuff and got discouraged...but now that I think about it, he was a teacher at a pilates place and maybe he was only saying so because he wanted me to join his club? 

Just now, WinForPooh said:

Pilates are a good idea, and I agree about the thermometer. My oven lies, too. It doesn't even lie consistently. It lies a different way depending on how it feels. 

Your oven has a split personality. 

Any recommendations on the thermometer? I guess I can find one on amazon but I don't wanna buy the first thing that comes up and find out it was the worst choice :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

17 minutes ago, LeadenMyr said:

Your oven has a split personality. 

Any recommendations on the thermometer? I guess I can find one on amazon but I don't wanna buy the first thing that comes up and find out it was the worst choice :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

I wish I could help with that, but mine was a gift, probably because people really wanted me to stop whining about my unpredictable oven! :lol: 

8 minutes ago, LeadenMyr said:

Well, now I've eaten two sliced of buttered bread and gorged on cereal because this thread got me way too hungry :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: sing me up for trying that pilates video in the morning...

Meanwhile I’m on my way to the airport and only just now realized I did the stress thing and haven’t actually eaten anything yet :1:

Just now, axelnojutsu said:

It’s fine I’ll be in Helsinki in a couple hours and not likely to starve until then :68468287:

:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:fiiiine then, just don't die! And stop the stress-fasting! Send pics when you arrive! Let us live vicariously through you :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: (if you like, of course! :68468287:)

Just now, MajaHled said:

I have the easiest recipe ever, it was the first thing I ever baked at like age 12, so I think everyone can do it, I'll write it down when I get home :67638860:

Yessss moar recipes to try...thank you!!

Helsinki is approaching, so I decided to share my two most successful recipes. Sorry for the lack of photos, my family ate everything before I remembered to take a picture.

1. Our family upside down apple cake. Super simple recipe that my mom always makes when there is no time.
Ingredients
flour 160 g
granulated sugar 200 g
eggs 3
apples 2 medium

baking powder (1 teaspoon) or baking soda, filled with vinegar (0,5 teaspoon). Any vinegar, but not balsamic.
vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon - optional
WITHOUT BUTTER OR VEGETABLE OIL!

My inventory: baking mold (ring, 22 cm diameter)

Recipe

Butter your mold with vegetable oil. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
Mix eggs and sugar (not much, just until the sugar disappears).
Add flour and vanilla, whisk by a mixer.
Peel the apples, cut them into thin slices.

Put apple slices in mold, pour your batter over.
Bake for about an hour, temperature 180 degrees Celsius. After 50 minutes (or when it starts to smell delicious) check the readiness with a toothpick. Toothpick should be clean after you stick it in the cake. Do not open the oven in the first 40 minutes, because the cake is rising.

2. Chocolate cake

I bake this cake to cut it into layers for a real big cake or I eat it just like that.
My inventory (for minimum volume): rectangular mold 22X12 cm
Ingredients:

flour 215 g
baking soda 0.5 teaspoon with vinegar (can be replaced with baking powder, 1 teaspoon). Any vinegar, but not balsamic.
a pinch of salt
cocoa powder 30 g
butter 30 g
vegetable oil 30 g
granulated sugar 150 g
milk 130 ml
egg 1
vanilla extract - optional, 1 teaspoon

Recipe

Butter your mold with vegetable oil. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

Mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and soda (or baking powder).
Melt the butter (for example, in the microwave).
Add to the dry ingredients everything else: oil and vegetable oil, egg, milk, vinegar and vanilla extract.
Whisk by a mixer.
Bake for about 50 min, temperature 180 degrees Celsius. After 40 minutes (or when it starts to smell delicious) start to check the readiness with a toothpick. Do not open the oven to early.

May we all survive this season (with sweets)!