Phantom of the Opera

yuzuangel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Part of my anti rugby evening - GPF 2014 PotO - which won’t embed but look for Nico Ichi’s channel on YouTube - no commentary phantom - easier to ignore the fall without a commentator trumpeting it in your ear - observe the lightness and elegance of the jump passes (mostly) integrated into the choreo - first outing with  SLB and it is gorgeous.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:39 PM, Sombreuil said:

Part of my anti rugby evening - GPF 2014 PotO - which won’t embed but look for Nico Ichi’s channel on YouTube - no commentary phantom - easier to ignore the fall without a commentator trumpeting it in your ear - observe the lightness and elegance of the jump passes (mostly) integrated into the choreo - first outing with  SLB and it is gorgeous.

The 2014 GPF free skate is my favorite Yuzu performance, my favorite Yuzu program and my favorite Yuzu costume.  Considering all the travail Yuzu had had in the season up to that point it illustrates clearly for me Yuzu's ability to fight back when he's down.  The collision in Shanghai followed by the meltdown at NHK left Yuzu almost in ruins.  He made it into the final by only a small fraction of a point and his free skate was marred by only one fall late in his program.  If he hadn't fallen he probably would have set a free skate record (although he did do that the next season, twice in fact).  I just marvel at his sheer confidence and determination in that performance and it is the one performance I keep going back to.  I could never tire of watching it.

PS - watch the vid at the point when Yuzu is just getting off the ice.  Just behind him you'll see one of the flower boys retrieving a brown bear (not a Winnie the Pooh) that is nearly as large as he is.  I always laugh when seeing that.  It's only matched by the giant goldfish we saw leaving the ice a few seasons later.

My favorite program of all! 

Actually it made me watch the POTO movie that I never thought about watching before. Not as good as watching Yuzuru though ;) I love the dramatic music! I get angry though when other skaters perform to Phantom just because they can't compare to Yuzuru's version lol. It's silly I know. Also I love how the music is put together so perfectly and seamlessly. 

• 1 month later...

This program is such a great change after R&J2, which had all the right things a program should have, but just didn't fly - to me it seems that first of all Yuzuru couldn't quite relate to it. It is just not his type of story. Unlike it, POTO is amazing from the start - the music cut gives me goosebumps. The powerful and menacing beginning, the violin, the 'softly, deftly' - and he is magnificent in it, he just shines. This is his story, and I'm glad DW refused to do POTO for him - it would have probably been much like R&J2 (that is not to say anything about DW as a choreographer, I just think he and Yuzuru are not a very good match. He was great for Javi, though)

Love, love, love the gorgeous second costume too - up to the smallest detail.

Was not brave enough to watch CoC. Not sure I ever will be. :59227c768286a__s: